ImageImageImageImage

Official Speculation Thread 2016 Volume VIII - Defense Wins Championships

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Re: RE: Re: Official Speculation Thread 2016 Volume VIII - Defense Wins Championships 

Post#1321 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:56 pm

npiper17 wrote:The Paul George to the Lakers in 2018 rumour is interesting re their pick.

Should the Magic get their pick in 2019 it won't be as good as it could be if George is on the Lakers.

Just a little further addition to the silver linings I've previously talked about should the Lakers get their own pick this draft and the Magic get their second rounder.

I've also been questioning this for a couple weeks. Better to get 2 high 2nd rounders in 17 & 18 or a mid-low 1st in 19?

We can potentially have a 4 picks in this deep draft. If whoever is making the picks can hit a home run, our future can be as bright as anyone.
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Re: Official Speculation Thread 2016 Volume VIII - Defense Wins Championships 

Post#1322 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:59 pm

pepe1991 wrote:This team simply needs new PG and actually starting level C. And that positions can't be filled with Payton,Vučević or Biyombo.

Not sure on C. I'd like to see how Biyombo worked out if he was surrounded by 4 athletic scorers or shooters like Fultz/Ross/Mario/AG for example.

It is en vogue to trash the guy, but when he has 4 shooters around him he has shown that he is great at grabbing offensive boards and keeping possessions going. Additionally, if those 4 together provided better defense, Biz could do less help D and switching and more focus on locking down the paint.

Many of the best teams don't really have great C's. The benefit is you don't have to feed the post to keep the guy happy. It's all about letting the wings do the scoring and dumping off easy buckets under the rim to C when the defense is stretched out.

Additionally, I'd like to see what Zimmerman can bring to the table next season. He may end up better than we expect.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#1323 » by tiderulz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:55 am

PennytoShaq wrote:
pepe1991 wrote:This team simply needs new PG and actually starting level C. And that positions can't be filled with Payton,Vučević or Biyombo.

Not sure on C. I'd like to see how Biyombo worked out if he was surrounded by 4 athletic scorers or shooters like Fultz/Ross/Mario/AG for example.

It is en vogue to trash the guy, but when he has 4 shooters around him he has shown that he is great at grabbing offensive boards and keeping possessions going. Additionally, if those 4 together provided better defense, Biz could do less help D and switching and more focus on locking down the paint.

Many of the best teams don't really have great C's. The benefit is you don't have to feed the post to keep the guy happy. It's all about letting the wings do the scoring and dumping off easy buckets under the rim to C when the defense is stretched out.

Additionally, I'd like to see what Zimmerman can bring to the table next season. He may end up better than we expect.

so we are paying a lot of money, for a center that needs specific players to play next to him for him to be good and produce? that just doesnt sound right
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#1324 » by MagicFan32 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:00 am

Paul George is not going to make the lakers much better, he has zero leadership qualities and complains everytime there's something he doesn't like, magic could very well be like phil and make a bunch of bad moves
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Re: RE: Re: Official Speculation Thread 2016 Volume VIII - Defense Wins Championships 

Post#1325 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:30 am

Nyce_1 wrote:
npiper17 wrote:The Paul George to the Lakers in 2018 rumour is interesting re their pick.

Should the Magic get their pick in 2019 it won't be as good as it could be if George is on the Lakers.

Just a little further addition to the silver linings I've previously talked about should the Lakers get their own pick this draft and the Magic get their second rounder.

I've also been questioning this for a couple weeks. Better to get 2 high 2nd rounders in 17 & 18 or a mid-low 1st in 19?

We can potentially have a 4 picks in this deep draft. If whoever is making the picks can hit a home run, our future can be as bright as anyone.

I think overall it's still preferable to have the Lakers pick in 2019 perhaps to use it on a player or as a trade asset.

But if it doesn't happen it's not the end of the world for a few reasons (second rounders as you mention, Philly not getting 2 top 6-7 picks in a good draft, the ability to maybe package our late first and early seconds to move up).

I've also been thinking about how we might be opportunistic on draft night. Say we do draft a point guard, could we look at seeing if the Kings would revisit their previous interest in Payton and package Elfrid, our late first this year and the Lakers first in 2019 for one of their lottery picks this year? It's a stretch but you never know Vivek could see Elf as the next Jason Kidd.
PennytoShaq

Post#1326 » by PennytoShaq » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:52 am

tiderulz wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

so we are paying a lot of money, for a center that needs specific players to play next to him for him to be good and produce? that just doesnt sound right

But yet that is how the NBA is. If it was easy, a lot more teams would be contenders.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#1327 » by Bensational » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:24 am

PennytoShaq wrote:I'd like to see how Biyombo worked out if he was surrounded by 4 athletic scorers or shooters like Fultz/Ross/Mario/AG for example.

That'd be a pretty exciting lineup to watch, even if it ended in a bunch of losses.

The upshot would be that we'd have Vuc, Fournier and Payton as depth or to trade/consolidate for a better starter. Like if Boston sign Hayward in the offseason and Crowder becomes available, having him at SF over Mario would make us much more competitive.
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1328 » by tiderulz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:49 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

But yet that is how the NBA is. If it was easy, a lot more teams would be contenders.

no its not. You dont break the bank for these types of players, they are paid less because they only work in specific situations. Biz was a bad signing for his contract. He will never produce to balance that out. Hennigan (or whoever) was suckered in by 1 good playoff series
PennytoShaq

Post#1329 » by PennytoShaq » Sat Feb 25, 2017 3:16 pm

tiderulz wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

no its not. You dont break the bank for these types of players, they are paid less because they only work in specific situations. Biz was a bad signing for his contract. He will never produce to balance that out. Hennigan (or whoever) was suckered in by 1 good playoff series

We didnt break the bank for bizmack. He got the going rate for Cs last summer. Not sure why people keep complaining about this.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#1330 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:21 pm

If we don't sign Gabe York I'm going to be steamed. Vogel said CJ is out at least another week and they might look into signing a 10-day guy.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#1331 » by MagicMatic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:58 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

We didnt break the bank for bizmack. He got the going rate for Cs last summer. Not sure why people keep complaining about this.

I think Biz will be a good back up big for us. I don't think he was necessarily a bad signing compared to what free agency numbers will start looking like in the future.

Biz worked well in a Toronto because they had playmakers capable of masking his inefficiencies on the court. We need those kind of playmakers to highlight his defensive abilities. I'm not saying to 'build around' biz, but we should be seeking those kind of players anyway.

Biz was a bad signing not monetarily, but because he has holes in his game like everyone else on this roster.
npiper17
General Manager

Post#1332 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:11 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:If we don't sign Gabe York I'm going to be steamed. Vogel said CJ is out at least another week and they might look into signing a 10-day guy.

He's the guy I'd bring in as well.

However I would actually play him as opposed to having him sit on the bench.

That's how you discover the next Yogi Ferrell,
Hassan Whiteside, Tyler Johnson, etc etc.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#1333 » by drsd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 6:14 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Paul George is not going to make the lakers much better, he has zero leadership qualities and complains everytime there's something he doesn't like, magic could very well be like phil and make a bunch of bad moves

George in LA nearly assures two high quality FAs.

It is not conceptually hard to turn around the Lakers (or the Knicks). There is far to much money in these teams for them to be as bad as they are.

j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1334 » by j-ragg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:31 pm

npiper17 wrote:
rcklsscognition wrote:If we don't sign Gabe York I'm going to be steamed. Vogel said CJ is out at least another week and they might look into signing a 10-day guy.

Am I thinking of the right guy? The guy who was on the Celts bench like 5+ years ago?
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
npiper17
General Manager

Post#1335 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:34 pm

j-ragg wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

Am I thinking of the right guy? The guy who was on the Celts bench like 5+ years ago?

No, York went undrafted this year so it must be someone else you're thinking of.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#1336 » by j-ragg » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:35 pm

npiper17 wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
npiper17 wrote:

No, York went undrafted this year so it must be someone else you're thinking of.

Just did some googling. Was thinking of Gabe Pruitt I guess.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,128

Post#1337 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:18 pm

Gabe York is actually on our d-league team and in December broke our d-league team 3 pointers in a game record.

Not signing him and playing him would really tick me off. I know the odds are extremely slim that a dleague guy comes up and produces, but PG is where that can happen, and this guy is already on our affiliate, running our plays (our dleague team uses our playbook).
tiderulz
RealGM

Post#1338 » by tiderulz » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:

he got the going rate for "starting centers", which he hasnt been for years. And by looks this year, he still shouldnt be. He is best at a 20 mpg, energy rebounder, maybe shot blocker.
PennytoShaq

Post#1339 » by PennytoShaq » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:02 pm

tiderulz wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

he got the going rate for "starting centers", which he hasnt been for years. And by looks this year, he still shouldnt be. He is best at a 20 mpg, energy rebounder, maybe shot blocker.

Mozgov got paid more. Hadn't started for the Cavs in years.
npiper17
General Manager

Post#1340 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:44 pm

rcklsscognition wrote:Gabe York is actually on our d-league team and in December broke our d-league team 3 pointers in a game record.

Not signing him and playing him would really tick me off. I know the odds are extremely slim that a dleague guy comes up and produces, but PG is where that can happen, and this guy is already on our affiliate, running our plays (our dleague team uses our playbook).

Could not agree more and yes the odds are slim but it's happened in Miami, Dallas and Portland recently off the top of my head and I'm sure others so considering the position we're in as a rebuilding team (and after five years), we should have as good an opportunity to do it as any other team.

Return to Orlando Magic