LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Re: Game 56: Orlando Magic (20-35) @ Dallas Mavericks (21-32) - 9 PM ET 

Post#221 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:45 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
First, we haven't found a single one. You can't trade or release what you don't have.

Second, the one true pieces were missed on because they were drafted ahead of us.

Be mad that we didn't do the 76ers tank method or accept that it's a long process.

Some second rounders we missed out on in RH era. Granted not all are allstars or superstars but over 5 years, just one of these guys would have been better than seeing the Watson, Wilcox, Green, DJ show.

Willy Hernangómez
Jordan Clarkson
Dwight Powell
Nikola Jokić
Allen Crabbe
Jae Crowder
Drayman Green
Khris Middleton

Jokic has potential.

Cmon now. I agree with everything you are saying but this is a pretty big understatement. The man deserves some respect.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#222 » by purpleswordfish » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:51 am

Orium wrote:Brian Hill just said he's never seen Vogel so upset in an interview, but was trying his hardest to be the consummate professional. I wish Vogel would just cut loose and really speak his mind for once. I have a feeling we are a franchise that really makes it clear not to do that sort of thing, though.

I wish he would, too. But, he just can't. He's smart enough to realize it'll cost him any chance of getting another coaching job anytime soon. Tonight had little to do with coaching. There were several players on the court who are clearly mailing it in. It's February. That's unacceptable in my mind.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#223 » by FFBlitzace » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:52 am

It'll just be Jeff Green in for Mario.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
neuraldarwinism
Sixth Man
And1: 1,051

Post#224 » by neuraldarwinism » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:54 am

i forgot to turn this game on in the 3rd quarter. **** dying to losing by 30 to this mavs team. we finally going to draft a good player this offseason guys and gals. this tank just too damn strong rn.
Mc-o
Veteran
And1: 1,507

Post#225 » by Mc-o » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:55 am

purpleswordfish wrote:
Orium wrote:Brian Hill just said he's never seen Vogel so upset in an interview, but was trying his hardest to be the consummate professional. I wish Vogel would just cut loose and really speak his mind for once. I have a feeling we are a franchise that really makes it clear not to do that sort of thing, though.

I wish he would, too. But, he just can't. He's smart enough to realize it'll cost him any chance of getting another coaching job anytime soon. Tonight had little to do with coaching. There were several players on the court who are clearly mailing it in. It's February. That's unacceptable in my mind.

the players have been mailing it in on defense for weeks now but today was like a complete shut down. Ugly sight. no one is free of blame, players, coaches, gm, martins....
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#226 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:55 am

neuraldarwinism wrote:i forgot to turn this game on in the 3rd quarter. **** dying to losing by 30 to this mavs team. we finally going to draft a good player this offseason guys and gals. this tank just too damn strong rn.

Unless we got on some stupid winning streak last 2 weeks of the season to get the 9th pick in the lottery. :banghead:
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#227 » by OrlandO » Sun Feb 12, 2017 4:58 am

SOUL wrote:Vogel:

Reality is not too far off....

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#228 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:04 am

GortatExpress wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

Some second rounders we missed out on in RH era. Granted not all are allstars or superstars but over 5 years, just one of these guys would have been better than seeing the Watson, Wilcox, Green, DJ show.

Willy Hernangómez
Jordan Clarkson
Dwight Powell
Nikola Jokić
Allen Crabbe
Jae Crowder
Drayman Green
Khris Middleton

Jokic has potential. Green is a great player but would not be who he is on any other team. The rest are role players.

Where is the super star we missed?

Other than the mystery man Giannis, they only names you can offer were drafted ahead of us.

So I repeat. You only have two options:

1) Be upset that we did take the 76ers approach and tank harder.

2) Accept that super stars are extremely rare and there is no fixed timetable for finding one in a small market.

Not everyone needs to be a superstar but one can make an argument that those players I list would be better than most of who is on our team. Its not just about tanking harder- but drafting smarter and developing and keeping that talent better.

Every team that wants to win a championship needs a super star. You must have one and even then, you probably want to start looking for a second or third.

None of these role players are you crying over will get us that. They don't matter and they never will matter until they are brought in to support a super star.

You're crying over wanting a SLIGHTLY better product which means you don't want to go the 76ers tanking route but you also want to win now. This is not an option. Accept that or stop following this team for a while.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#229 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:09 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Jokic has potential. Green is a great player but would not be who he is on any other team. The rest are role players.

Where is the super star we missed?

Other than the mystery man Giannis, they only names you can offer were drafted ahead of us.

So I repeat. You only have two options:

1) Be upset that we did take the 76ers approach and tank harder.

2) Accept that super stars are extremely rare and there is no fixed timetable for finding one in a small market.

Not everyone needs to be a superstar but one can make an argument that those players I list would be better than most of who is on our team. Its not just about tanking harder- but drafting smarter and developing and keeping that talent better.

Every team that wants to win a championship needs a super star. You must have one and even then, you probably want to start looking for a second or third.

None of these role players are you crying over will get us that. They don't matter and they never will matter until they are brought in to support a super star.

You're crying over wanting a SLIGHTLY better product which means you don't want to go the 76ers tanking route but you also want to win now. This is not an option. Accept that or stop following this team for a while.

Yes you need a superstar to build around. But you also need a solid team with TALENT to build around that superstar. Look at the Pelicans, Kings, Knicks for example- clear superstars but a crap team around them. Barely making a blip on the playoff radar. Our role players suck or are overpaid and playing starters roles and minutes which exposes all their weaknesses. None of those players I listed are superstars but would be a stronger core than the nonsense we have now. And you can GTFO with your comments about if i should follow this team or not.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#230 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:10 am

OrlandO wrote:Vogel before the game: "we're going to play through vuc as much as possible"
Reality: season low 5 attempts with every other player taking more shots.

edit: lowest attempts for vuc in the last 4 seasons (minimum 15 minutes played)....

Pretty damning. But at the same time it's hard to play through a guy that gets pushed way out from the basket on most of his post ups and relies so much on long 2's. I think it's safe to say, 5 seasons in, that Vucevic isn't the answer.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#231 » by MagicStarwipe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:15 am

Paul George really made this guys career.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#232 » by MagicFan101 » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:15 am

GortatExpress wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

Yes you need a superstar to build around. But you also need a solid team with TALENT to build around that superstar. Look at the Pelicans, Kings, Knicks for example- clear superstars but a crap team around them. Barely making a blip on the playoff radar. Our role players suck or are overpaid and playing starters roles and minutes which exposes all their weaknesses. None of those players I listed are superstars but would be a stronger core than the nonsense we have now. And you can GTFO with your comments about if i should follow this team or not.

You must start with a super star and then build.

If you start building a fringe playoff roster you are left with crappy draft picks. Being mediocre is worse than being bad.

MOD EDIT: Removed personal attacks. Each side is entitled to their opinions.
purpleswordfish
Rookie
And1: 540

Post#233 » by purpleswordfish » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:18 am

MagicStarwipe wrote:
OrlandO wrote:Vogel before the game: "we're going to play through vuc as much as possible"
Reality: season low 5 attempts with every other player taking more shots.

edit: lowest attempts for vuc in the last 4 seasons (minimum 15 minutes played)....

Pretty damning. But at the same time it's hard to play through a guy that gets pushed way out from the basket on most of his post ups and relies so much on long 2's. I think it's safe to say, 5 seasons in, that Vucevic isn't the answer.

To be fair, Vucevic was drawing double teams and I believe the Magic were 0-9 from three point range in the first quarter. The idea was to feed Vuc and have outside shooters make the defense pay with threes. Unfortunately, the Magic are one of the worst in the league from that range. It was a flawed game plan from the outset.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 12,740

Post#234 » by ChosenSavior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 5:46 am

OrlandO wrote:
SOUL wrote:Vogel:

Reality is not too far off....

:rofl:
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#235 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:08 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

If you start building a fringe playoff roster you are left with crappy draft picks. Being mediocre is worse than being bad.

I will stay right here with my statement of fact (not comment) that pathetic fans such as yourself who can't appreciate the process that is a rebuild need to GTFO of here until it is done. There are good conversations and debates to be had about draft prospects and even which prospect of our own should stay or go. But no, instead we just listen to you idiots bitch every day. Be useful or run along.

We had Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott BEFORE we got Shaq and Penny. So there isn't a template of what comes first or not. The key is to accumulate assets and talent. Just gutting and waiting for the tank to eventually come to fruition is too risky. But maybe your Orlando Magic cheerleader pom poms are blocking you view. So anyone who disagrees with you is an "idiot" or some other condescending and demeaning term. Really constructive bro. Go back to cheerleading.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,148

Post#236 » by Def Swami » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:35 am

Missed the game tonight and first time I'm probably going to not watch the replay. Zero desire. Good loss though.
bigpimpatl
Veteran
And1: 1,263

Post#237 » by bigpimpatl » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:40 am

GortatExpress wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

I will stay right here with my statement of fact (not comment) that pathetic fans such as yourself who can't appreciate the process that is a rebuild need to GTFO of here until it is done. There are good conversations and debates to be had about draft prospects and even which prospect of our own should stay or go. But no, instead we just listen to you idiots bitch every day. Be useful or run along.

We had Nick Anderson and Dennis Scott BEFORE we got Shaq and Penny. So there isn't a template of what comes first or not. The key is to accumulate assets and talent. Just gutting and waiting for the tank to eventually come to fruition is too risky. But maybe your Orlando Magic cheerleader pom poms are blocking you view. So anyone who disagrees with you is an "idiot" or some other condescending and demeaning term. Really constructive bro. Go back to cheerleading.

I would just ignore it.

Everyone seems to be an expert and this "tanking method" is somehow the only tried and true way to get a superstar-like player. Apparently you can't build a team by signing solid vets and making good draft picks with the position you end up with. Apparently it's ok to lose a ton of games and end up with #2, #4, and #5 and still complain you didn't get lucky when quite a few players picked afterwards were better than what you selected. Of course then it's not Hennigan's fault as the ping pong balls!!! Never mind how RISKY of a plan that is, by putting all your eggs in one basket and not having a fall back plan.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#238 » by ChosenSavior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:44 am

Another snarky post game interview from Vogel. I feel like when he gets home after every loss, he goes on complete rage fits...

Orl_Magic
Junior
And1: 197

Post#239 » by Orl_Magic » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:45 am

Missed this game and was glad we got destroyed. We need Fultz, Ball or Jackson.
ChosenSavior
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic

Post#240 » by ChosenSavior » Sun Feb 12, 2017 6:52 am

Vuc's interview is pretty telling. It feels like he's lost faith in Frank Vogel as well.

Return to Orlando Magic