ImageImageImageImage

Trading Ibaka - Could be Hennigan's last move.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Re: Trading Ibaka - Could be Hennigan's last move. 

Post#21 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:20 pm

NBlue wrote:Just would like to add that in 2017 Evan is shooting about 37% overall and 27% from 3. Additionally, he is averaging just about 3 turnovers per game. Certainly, he played hurt through several of those games in January but that stat line overall would seem representative of a rather inefficient offensive player. Just seems odd to me that Vogel would call him our best offensive player or something along those lines.

I should note that I think Evan is just trying too hard. I would like to see him play within the framework of the offense and be more of a catch and shoot guy than attempt to be a primary option.

He has been hurt most of 2017. With those low numbers he still is shooting close to 35% from 3 and 43% overall.

Additionally it has been said many times that he is currently being told to play the way he is playing. Players don't go out and not play within the the offense and still log minutes.

I get that people don't like the team and wish we had better ball movement ..etc. But I think a lot of this boils down to Orlando not trusting Payton's shot enough and not trusting his up and down productivity. So they put the ball in Evan's hands, because when he is healthy, he is a rather consistent scorer. We simply don't have many of those guys at all so we are forced to expand the role of a guy who is probably best at shooting off screens, nailing open 3s and driving open lanes.
PennytoShaq

Post#22 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:23 pm

NBlue wrote:
PennytoShaq wrote:The interview was cut off, so it did not show the entire thing. I am pretty sure it was the last game in which he said Evan was our best offensive player, possibly the one before.

If this is passive aggressive thing where you want me to spend my time searching for links and quotes, I am not going to do it - you can. I know others have heard Frank say this stuff before, so it's not me making it up. If you choose to believe I am, that's fine.

Actually, I was asking a question because I was interested in listening to the quote. Seemed odd to me. You don't need to spend your time doing anything -- I would have just liked to hear what he said. Not sure how exactly I offended you but whatever.

It was a pretty simple quote from a layup Denton question if I remember correctly. But he said Evan was our best offensive player. If you go back and listen to interviews you will hear him say great things about Evan a lot. I just personally don't want to go through the pain of listening to Denton ask ridiculous questions and hear the defeat in Franks's voice, so I'm going to pass on replaying them to find the quote.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,492

Post#23 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:28 pm

I don't see Evan as a chucker at all. Last season he was 7th in the team in usage percentage (behind Payton, Jennings, Jason Smith and Andrew Nicholson and obviously Vucevic and Dipo). The year before that he was sixth. This season he's second, but still behind Vucevic, and and despite his recent struggles his TS% is one of the highest on the team.
NBlue
Rookie
And1: 714

Post#24 » by NBlue » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:34 pm

Bergmaniac wrote:I don't see Evan as a chucker at all. Last season he was 7th in the team in usage percentage (behind Payton, Jennings, Jason Smith and Andrew Nicholson and obviously Vucevic and Dipo). The year before that he was sixth. This season he's second, but still behind Vucevic, and and despite his recent struggles his TS% is one of the highest on the team.

Though he has shot poorly since coming back from injury, I don't see him has a chucker either. Not at all. I think he is a good shooter and should be used in that role more. Issue is he is a player that has been ball dominant. That doesn't necessarily mean he is chucking up bad shots. But the ball does tend to get stuck with him a lot and he needs to work on his turnovers. I'd much rather see him more off the ball and coming off screens to knock down 3s. I think using him as a ball dominant player takes away from the thing he should be doing most -- shooting off the catch.
Bergmaniac
Head Coach
And1: 9,492

Post#25 » by Bergmaniac » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:45 pm

NBlue wrote:
Bergmaniac wrote:I don't see Evan as a chucker at all. Last season he was 7th in the team in usage percentage (behind Payton, Jennings, Jason Smith and Andrew Nicholson and obviously Vucevic and Dipo). The year before that he was sixth. This season he's second, but still behind Vucevic, and and despite his recent struggles his TS% is one of the highest on the team.

Though he has shot poorly since coming back from injury, I don't see him has a chucker either. Not at all. I think he is a good shooter and should be used in that role more. Issue is he is a player that has been ball dominant. That doesn't necessarily mean he is chucking up bad shots. But the ball does tend to get stuck with him a lot and he needs to work on his turnovers. I'd much rather see him more off the ball and coming off screens to knock down 3s. I think using him as a ball dominant player takes away from the thing he should be doing most -- shooting off the catch.

I want that too but Vogel doesn't run many such plays for him for some reason.
EAS Law
Analyst
And1: 3,456

Post#26 » by EAS Law » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:49 pm

Oladipo gave no indication whatsoever that he was interested in anything to do with the Orlando Magic. He wants to be an NBA pretty boy. He is also a mediocre player and not worth the money OKC gave him. He still chucks, lays hard bricks off the glass and rim when he drives, dribbles off of himself--he's not any better than JR Smith (of several years ago) with less of a shot.

I agree that Hennigan tried to make something happen and it fell flat. I agree we are an awful team that needs to blow up the complimentary pieces and start over.

I do believe that Oladipo is a primadonna, we were right to trade him, and a weak lotto pick was a negligible inclusion with value only based in theory.

I believe that circumstances have been unkind to our rebuild.

I wouldn't have signed Bismack to his deal.

I don't think Hennigan should be fired. I think we need to accept that Philly, Milwaukee, NYK as examples are all in the same position we are in, if not worse in some cases, despite drafting at better slots than we have.

Minnesota, for example, has been exalted as a force to be reckoned with due to what is essentially two 1st overal picks, and another two top 10 picks on their roster, yet, they're well out of the playoffs and have done nothing noteworthy.

In summary, the NBA is dynamic and building a championship team is not a linear process with guaranteed results. This is the first season that we can agree objectively and subjectively, has been a failure. I think Hennigan should get more than one shot in that regard.
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,085

Post#27 » by yoyojw17 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 7:55 pm

EAS Law wrote:Oladipo gave no indication whatsoever that he was interested in anything to do with the Orlando Magic. He wants to be an NBA pretty boy. He is also a mediocre player and not worth the money OKC gave him. He still chucks, lays hard bricks off the glass and rim when he drives, dribbles off of himself--he's not any better than JR Smith (of several years ago) with less of a shot.

I agree that Hennigan tried to make something happen and it fell flat. I agree we are an awful team that needs to blow up the complimentary pieces and start over.

I do believe that Oladipo is a primadonna, we were right to trade him and a weak lotto pick was a negligible inclusion with value only based in theory.

I don't think Hennigan should be fired. I think we need to accept that Philly, Milwaukee, NYK as examples all are in the same position we are in if not worse in some cases despitedrafting at better slots than we have. Minnesota, for example, has been exalted as a force to be reckoned with due to what is essentially two 1st overal picks, and another two top 10 picks on their roster, yet, they're well out of the playoffs and have done nothing noteworthy.

In summary, the NBA and building a championship team is not a linear process with guaranteed results. This is the first season that we can agree objectively and subjectively, has been a failure. I think Hennigan should get more than one shot in that regard.

SPOT ON!!
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,936

Post#28 » by Xatticus » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:38 pm

NBlue wrote:

This. Anytime the ball stops, the defense recovers and you have to start everything over. He has also been preferential in his distribution (he looks certain guys off). He should be a catch and shoot player, but he prefers to play the catch and survey.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#29 » by Skin » Mon Feb 13, 2017 8:51 pm

Xatticus wrote:
NBlue wrote:

This. Anytime the ball stops, the defense recovers and you have to start everything over. He has also been preferential in his distribution (he looks certain guys off). He should be a catch and shoot player, but he prefers to play the catch and survey.

Yep. He's trying to do more than he's capable of and the problem is he thinks he is capable of more. In the future, Vogel needs to start making sure players have a role and know their roles. But for right now, losing is the only goal.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#30 » by darthcheech2000 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 9:11 pm

To answer the OP's question, it all depends on what he trades Ibaka for...

No one will complain if he trades for "win now" and we actually start winning, and that includes upper management.

Until then I'll continue assuming he knows this season is lost and he'll make the right trade, for assets and youth.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,904

Post#31 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:04 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:They still think he is a starting SG when his best role is to come off the bench.

Behind who?

With the current team, I'd much rather see Meeks starting (when he is healthy). Team has better spacing and a better offensive flow.
Orlando Magic are BACK!!!
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#32 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:06 pm

EAS Law wrote:Oladipo gave no indication whatsoever that he was interested in anything to do with the Orlando Magic. He wants to be an NBA pretty boy. He is also a mediocre player and not worth the money OKC gave him. He still chucks, lays hard bricks off the glass and rim when he drives, dribbles off of himself--he's not any better than JR Smith (of several years ago) with less of a shot.

I do believe that Oladipo is a primadonna, we were right to trade him and a weak lotto pick was a negligible inclusion with value only based in theory.

I don't think Hennigan should be fired. I think we need to accept that Philly, Milwaukee, NYK as examples all are in the same position we are in if not worse in some cases despitedrafting at better slots than we have. Minnesota, for example, has been exalted as a force to be reckoned with due to what is essentially two 1st overal picks, and another two top 10 picks on their roster, yet, they're well out of the playoffs and have done nothing noteworthy.

In summary, the NBA and building a championship team is not a linear process with guaranteed results. This is the first season that we can agree objectively and subjectively, has been a failure. I think Hennigan should get more than one shot in that regard.

You bring up some excellent points.

But after 5 years of misery, do you really want the guy who got us here making more decisions for us?
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#33 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:30 pm

GortatExpress wrote:

But after 5 years of misery, do you really want the guy who got us here making more decisions for us?

:roll: If you really expected us to be playoff contenders in 4 or less years, than that's crazy. After Dwight left, how could you not know we were going to suck for a few years? A rebuild takes 3-5 years, unless you hit some draft luck like OKC/Seattle(Durant & Westbrook), GSW(Curry, Klay, Green) or the Cavs, get 3 # 1 picks after Lebron left, 1 pick being Kyrie and then Lebron returned.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,142

Post#34 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:35 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

:roll: If you really expected us to be playoff contenders in 4 or less years, than that's crazy. After Dwight left, how could you not know we were going to suck for a few years? A rebuild takes 3-5 years, unless you hit some draft luck like OKC/Seattle(Durant & Westbrook), GSW(Curry, Klay, Green) or the Cavs, get 3 # 1 picks after Lebron left, 1 pick being Kyrie and then Lebron returned.

I think fans expected to be competitive this season. Not a sure-fire playoff team, but definitely not one of the worst teams in the league.

Not that much to ask for 5 years into the rebuild.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#35 » by Nemesis21 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 10:38 pm

Zmill wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

I think fans expected to be competitive this season. Not a sure-fire playoff team, but definitely not one of the worst teams in the league.

I did as well. But it's not the GM's fault that both Vogel and the players have sucked. We all imagined a top 10 defense back in the summer, with EP, AG, Ibaka, Biz and Vogel. The players and coaching are responsible for being at 20 wins currently.
darthcheech2000
Sixth Man
And1: 399

Post#36 » by darthcheech2000 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:12 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
I did as well. But it's not the GM's fault that both Vogel and the players have sucked. We all imagined a top 10 defense back in the summer, with EP, AG, Ibaka, Biz and Vogel. The players and coaching are responsible for being at 20 wins currently.

I think thats an argument to be made but you have to at least put some blame on the GM. Hennigan assembled this team after all.

Its how he handles this mess in the next few months that will decide his fate.
let paid professionals do their job, don't you try and do it for them...
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#37 » by EAS Law » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:22 pm

Zmill wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
GortatExpress wrote:

I think we are in for the tank and have been once we firmly established we didn't have the right talent. I think we could do better than our record/ better than getting blown out by 30+... I could be wrong, but I think the team saw what we saw about 7 games in and decided to struggle for a bit before full blown giving up.
MagicFan4Lyfe
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by MagicFan4Lyfe » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:27 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Zmill wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

A lot of the blame lies with the GM and management for the poor roster construction. I've been giving Vogel a pass because there is not a single coach out there that can win with this team. Does anyone think Pop or Kerr would have a better record with this team? You need talent plus good coaching to win and right now we don't have much talent to win.
Yes the onus is on the coach and players but Hennigan really missed out big time on a lot of his recent deals.
PennytoShaq

Post#39 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:49 pm

GortatExpress wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
Zmill wrote:

A lot of the blame lies with the GM and management for the poor roster construction. I've been giving Vogel a pass because there is not a single coach out there that can win with this team. Does anyone think Pop or Kerr would have a better record with this team? You need talent plus good coaching to win and right now we don't have much talent to win.
Yes the onus is on the coach and players but Hennigan really missed out big time on a lot of his recent deals.

Big time? Not so sure. I think I'd rather be really bad and have a shot at drafting a stud right now instead of chasing an 8th seed. At least the Magic recognize they need to tank this year and are doing so.

For me, it is fine to be really bad and get a stud to build around. Do that over and over until you get your team assembled.

Harris, Oladipo were not the answers. Harris is already a 6th man (what he should have been here) and Oladipo looks like a career 16-17 ppg guy. We would have probably won 35-38 games with them this season and missed out on getting a top draft pick.

We need to draft a guy who can give us 24ppg or more after a few years in the league.
EAS Law
Analyst

Post#40 » by EAS Law » Tue Feb 14, 2017 12:10 am

GortatExpress wrote:

The way I look at it is that Hennigan is, if nothing else, a good/great judge of talent. If you're trying to build through the draft, I believe you need that. I don't think he has been placed in any situations to succeed. If he loses his job, it's because of that.

I'd say that in his 4 years, he's made 2 bad deals in signing Biz and trading Tobias. That's not bad for the number of trades we've made. I still have faith that Mario will be ok eventually. That may be a blunder draft pick too.

Given a reasonable 1-3 pick once or twice, I think we would have a far different opinion of Hennigan.

Return to Orlando Magic