ImageImageImageImage

Magic turned down deal for Cousins early in the season?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,399

Re: Magic turned down deal for Cousins early in the season? 

Post#261 » by Bensational » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:56 am

I still think you get more value for a 1 year rental of Cousins this summer than we will get for Vuc and Fournier. Even if we're trading him to the Lakers or Clippers to put him in LA.

That's a bargain we really shouldn't have turned down. But, knowing Fegan was involved I can absolutely understand the franchise not wanting to get involved. They've got a bad history with him.
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#262 » by Xatticus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:05 am

cedric76 wrote:You should listen Woj podcst on the DMC trade https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-vertical-podcast-with-woj/id1065985281?mt=2

He basically said that every GM lowballed Sacramento and noone wanted to give them a 2017 lottery pick for him

This is a common refrain after these big deals go down. Fortune favors the bold, I suppose. So many teams remain noncommittal while trying to lowball. Then they gripe about how they could've offered more if only they had been given the chance to top the other offer. If they had been negotiating in earnest, the opportunity was there all along. Everyone is hoping to screw each other over instead of reaching a mutually beneficial agreement that serves both parties.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#263 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:18 am

Xatticus wrote:
cedric76 wrote:You should listen Woj podcst on the DMC trade https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/the-vertical-podcast-with-woj/id1065985281?mt=2

He basically said that every GM lowballed Sacramento and noone wanted to give them a 2017 lottery pick for him

This is a common refrain after these big deals go down. Fortune favors the bold, I suppose. So many teams remain noncommittal while trying to lowball. Then they gripe about how they could've offered more if only they had been given the chance to top the other offer. If they had been negotiating in earnest, the opportunity was there all along. Everyone is hoping to screw each other over instead of reaching a mutually beneficial agreement that serves both parties.

Unfortunately the word "greed" and "power" exist in the dictionary for a reason.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#264 » by OrlandoNed » Wed Feb 22, 2017 4:59 pm

SD2042 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Unfortunately the word "greed" and "power" exist in the dictionary for a reason.

It's competitive profession sports, man. Screw or be screwed.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#265 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 5:56 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

I get what you're saying. Sometimes teams can get too greedy and it can bite them on the a** in the long run.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app
Xatticus
Head Coach
And1: 7,959

Post#266 » by Xatticus » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:02 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
SD2042 wrote:
Xatticus wrote:

Sure. Though negotiation is a far more complex topic. There are inefficiencies to be exploited and risks that can be transferred that can certainly make transactions mutually beneficial, but I get why individuals try to exploit one another. That's not what I'm talking about though. It's about the whining that always come after a deal is struck by those individuals that burned their chance by trying to screw someone over. I'd hang up the phone on them as well.
"Xatticus has always been, in my humble opinion best poster here. Should write articles or something."
-pepe1991
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#267 » by MagicFan32 » Wed Feb 22, 2017 11:04 pm

DMC is a coach killer, it would not surprise me at all if Hennigan did attempt to trade for him but when Vogel was consulted he was against it, and the trade was squashed.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
WeAreVenom
Head Coach
And1: 325

Post#268 » by WeAreVenom » Thu Feb 23, 2017 10:13 pm

Nyce_1 wrote:for those that missed it, the Magic talk from Woj start around 25:00.

https://www.facebook.com/TheVerticalWoj/videos/vb.228108177528276/433610643644694/?type=3&theater

Woj says:
1. We're active for guards
2. Vogel may have a bigger voice than Rob in deals and players we target because his contract is longer.
3. Orl is the one that didn't pull trigger on Boogie trade. Offer was Vuc and Fournier, and Sac really liked that offer, but Magic just weren't ready to do deal.

Dear God....
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#269 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:40 am

DeMarcus Cousins - 27 points, 14 rebounds, 4 blocks, 5 steals in debut-
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#270 » by PennytoShaq » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:47 am

Nyce_1 wrote:DeMarcus Cousins - 27 points, 14 rebounds, 4 blocks, 5 steals in debut-

And the Pelicans got blown out of the building by 30.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#271 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:56 am

PennytoShaq wrote:
Nyce_1 wrote:DeMarcus Cousins - 27 points, 14 rebounds, 4 blocks, 5 steals in debut-

Yeah...tough loss considering it looks like Cousins and Davis played well together...at least on paper.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Re: RE: Re: Magic turned down deal for Cousins early in the season? 

Post#272 » by cedric76 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 7:09 am

PennytoShaq wrote:

And sacramento won

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
Nyce_1
RealGM
And1: 5,975

Post#273 » by Nyce_1 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 12:53 pm

PennytoShaq wrote:

Is that on Fire & Ice or on the fact they have absolutely zero wings or bench on that roster? Didn't help that they played Houston with 2 6th men of the year, MVP, and unbelievable shooters to snipe them.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#274 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:20 pm

Pelicans will be fine. No way they won't be a good team with two top 10 players and a borderline all-star PG.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#275 » by PrimeThyme » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:50 pm

I think it's more telling that Sacramento won. I mean that team looked freed out there. The first game Boogie is gone WCS has the best game of his career && everyone on that team plays better. I think it's says a lot about the type of effect Boogie had on that team. We all know his talent but he has a very polarizing personality and that held a lot of those young guys back. It would have been nice if the Kings could have gotten more but I think their going to be better off in the long run without him.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#276 » by Last Guardian » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:58 pm

As we see on our team, someone has to put up stats on a bad team. That's all Cousins is. Calling a guy who since 2010 has never been in the playoffs or won over 33 games a franchise player is an absolute insult to franchise players.
woosah
RealGM
And1: 5,275

Post#277 » by woosah » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:29 pm

I think it will be an interesting experiment with Cousins. NOLA is doing what we tried to do with wayyyyy better players. They have the big scorers as interior players instead of guards like most of the good teams in the league. They will be getting mostly 2's while other teams are trying to kill you with the 3. Will it work? Last night, the two best players had 60 points. The rest of the team 33 though :lol:
They also clearly have to get that defense together. 30 point loss? If we lose by 30 we are terrible, but a team with 2 all stars losing by 30 is just sad.
Woj is the new Bucher. Shams is the new Woj. Espn is the new TMZ. The NBA is the new WWE.
Boo.
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#278 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:17 pm

How long have you guys followed the NBA? It's one game. Pelicans will be good. Kings will be bad.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
spearsy23
RealGM
And1: 7,459

Post#279 » by spearsy23 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:05 am

PrimeShaq wrote:I think it's more telling that Sacramento won. I mean that team looked freed out there. The first game Boogie is gone WCS has the best game of his career && everyone on that team plays better. I think it's says a lot about the type of effect Boogie had on that team. We all know his talent but he has a very polarizing personality and that held a lot of those young guys back. It would have been nice if the Kings could have gotten more but I think their going to be better off in the long run without him.

Sac had won 4 out of 5 going into the all-star break.
“If you're getting stops and you're making threes and the other team's not scoring, that's when you're going to see a huge point difference there,” coach Billy Donovan said.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,372

Post#280 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:11 pm

spearsy23 wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:I think it's more telling that Sacramento won. I mean that team looked freed out there. The first game Boogie is gone WCS has the best game of his career && everyone on that team plays better. I think it's says a lot about the type of effect Boogie had on that team. We all know his talent but he has a very polarizing personality and that held a lot of those young guys back. It would have been nice if the Kings could have gotten more but I think their going to be better off in the long run without him.

Sac had won 4 out of 5 going into the all-star break.

&& yet were still 24-33 on the season with him and are 2-0 on the season without him. I'm not saying they're going to be better in the short term but it was a good move in the long term for them imo to get a fresh start and to get the cancer of their team.

Return to Orlando Magic