ImageImageImageImage

0.5+ years of Ibaka vs 1.5+ years of Cousins?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

0.5+ years of Ibaka vs 1.5+ years of Cousins?

Ibaka
9%
Cousins
91%

Total votes: 33

pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,273

Re: 0.5+ years of Ibaka vs 1.5+ years of Cousins? 

Post#21 » by pepe1991 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:50 pm

fendilim wrote:
Reverse_Angle wrote:Hadn't posted for a while, Cousins trade infuriated me. I was a big apologist for Henny, but this was the last straw.

It is either him screwing up OR Martin's pressure making things worse--in either case, Henny's got to go. I don't care if he is spineless or short-sighted, the conclusion is the same.

You don't think Vic, Tobias, and a protected 1st couldn't have gotten Cousins? Instead Henny chose to be screwed by his idols for a person who declined drastically in production and visibly from a physical perspective.

Nobody in their right mind can argue that Cousins trade would be ANY worse then Ibaka trade, which might be the worst trade in Magic history. Even that trade that brought in JRich and Hedo had a logic behind it.

Anyway, that is what I think. What would you rather have? Try not to consider that last Ibaka trade when responding, because that introduces a bit of a hindsight issue.

Henni would have to be a prophet to know this would happen.

Two, they are clearly not what the Kings are looking for. Vic and Tobias are what 35 million combined? The Kings are looking to create cap space thats why Tyreke was in the deal.

As bad as this trade is, I think we have to be objective in criticizing Hennigan and understanding the situation that thisnorganization doesnt want another Dwightmare.

I guess every GM in the NBA not named Dell Demps should be fired.

They won't need salary space. Nobody wil ever want to sign with them. IF they can get Jeff Green on 3 years $50M next year they can consider themselfs lucky.
DO you know what Rudy Gay said to George Karl in his first day at job? " Welcome to basketball hell" . Looking today, from new perspective, it was never really Cousins , it was ownership with worst GM ever Vlade Divac (Alessandro before him)all along.

Just think about moves:
2013: McClemore
2014: Stauskas despite playing same position as McClemore
2015: WSC despite playing same position as Couins
2016 : some Greece scrub , rights on Bogdan Bogdanović ( just because he is Serbian as Divac, can't even sign on rookie scale contract) for Marqueese Chriss.
2017: Buddy Hield and Galloway, probably not lottery pick for Demarcus Cousins.

Literally worst runned NBA team in history of basketball.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#22 » by MagicMadness » Mon Feb 20, 2017 7:53 pm

Reverse_Angle wrote:Nobody in their right mind can argue that Cousins trade would be ANY worse then Ibaka trade, which might be the worst trade in Magic history. Even that trade that brought in JRich and Hedo had a logic behind it.

The Ibaka trade backfired, but I don't think it's one of the worst trades in Magic history. Oladipo is an adequate starter at best, yet he is going to demand big money this offseason. Even if we had never made the Ibaka trade, we'd probably just now have done a Toronto-like deal to get Oladipo out of here before we lost him for nothing. Dude plays next to a triple-double superstar and only averages 16ppg with a 14 PER. I'm not saying Fournier is THE answer, but clearly Oladipo isn't, either.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,920

Post#23 » by MagicMatic » Mon Feb 20, 2017 10:31 pm

Why isn't there a "both options are terrible" option?
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,186

Re: RE: 0.5+ years of Ibaka vs 1.5+ years of Cousins? 

Post#24 » by cedric76 » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:38 pm

Reverse_Angle wrote:Hadn't posted for a while, Cousins trade infuriated me. I was a big apologist for Henny, but this was the last straw.

It is either him screwing up OR Martin's pressure making things worse--in either case, Henny's got to go. I don't care if he is spineless or short-sighted, the conclusion is the same.

You don't think Vic, Tobias, and a protected 1st couldn't have gotten Cousins? Instead Henny chose to be screwed by his idols for a person who declined drastically in production and visibly from a physical perspective.

Nobody in their right mind can argue that Cousins trade would be ANY worse then Ibaka trade, which might be the worst trade in Magic history. Even that trade that brought in JRich and Hedo had a logic behind it.

Anyway, that is what I think. What would you rather have? Try not to consider that last Ibaka trade when responding, because that introduces a bit of a hindsight issue.

Obviously wasn't long enough

Sent from my SM-A310F using RealGM mobile app
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#25 » by fendilim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:18 am

Mc-o wrote:
fendilim wrote:

Two, they are clearly not what the Kings are looking for. Vic and Tobias are what 35 million combined? The Kings are looking to create cap space thats why Tyreke was in the deal.

As bad as this trade is, I think we have to be objective in criticizing Hennigan and understanding the situation that thisnorganization doesnt want another Dwightmare.

Sacramento was willing to trade for Vuc and Fournier who both have long term contracts . and cousins being traded has been rumored for at least a year so it's not that big of a surprise . There was no reason for the magic to abandon the youth movement and cash in their assets for non stars . Look at Boston they have refused to trade there young assetts unless it's for a star and it is working out perfectly for them .

How sure are you if that's on the table?

Assuming this is true, all boils down to the owner too.

Here's what Bobby Marks said about the what figures in a trade.

Read on Twitter

Is it still Hennigan's fault? What if it was the owners who didn't want?
fendilim
RealGM

Post#26 » by fendilim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:19 am

~Snoopy~ wrote:
fendilim wrote:

every other gms arent mentioned in this rumor
Henny created this roster with flexibility to do what?
Green deal was made for such situation we had it all.Cheap contracts picks expirings you name it we got it and he said no.
Like this team could get any worse after that deal lol
He can trade Harris and Ibaka for basicly nothing but he cant trade Evan and Vuc for nothing?(im talking about worse case scenario which propably woudnt be the case)
That trade would open many other options to go for.

Read on Twitter

I blame ownership on this not Hennigan.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#27 » by fendilim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:22 am

Reverse_Angle wrote:
fendilim wrote:

Let's just forget the actual pieces of the trade to get Cousins in Orlando, because it is not an argument most would agree on and it is hypothetical. But if they wanted cap space, vuc and green could have done it, too. Still a better offer than what they got for Cousins--they can at least sell Vuc to their base.

As for your main point: Henny didn't have to be a prophet. He just needed to be patient and savvy with our assets--like he did with Dwight trade. Ibaka trade never made sense. That actually makes me think this is on Martins, but as I said, the reason is not relevant in this context.
Vuc doesn't given any flexibility at all.

And how would anyone we give up compare to Hield? bleacherreport.com/articles/2694031-vivek-ranadive-reportedly-thinks-buddy-hield-has-the-potential-of-stephen-curry
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#28 » by Blue_and_Whte » Tue Feb 21, 2017 1:07 pm

MagicMadness wrote:
Reverse_Angle wrote:Nobody in their right mind can argue that Cousins trade would be ANY worse then Ibaka trade, which might be the worst trade in Magic history. Even that trade that brought in JRich and Hedo had a logic behind it.

The Ibaka trade backfired, but I don't think it's one of the worst trades in Magic history. Oladipo is an adequate starter at best, yet he is going to demand big money this offseason. Even if we had never made the Ibaka trade, we'd probably just now have done a Toronto-like deal to get Oladipo out of here before we lost him for nothing. Dude plays next to a triple-double superstar and only averages 16ppg with a 14 PER. I'm not saying Fournier is THE answer, but clearly Oladipo isn't, either.

And Biyombo is straight up a backup and we're paying him $17 million. I'd rather give Oladipo $20 million because adequate starter is better than a lot of guys on the team right now. That was a stupid move by Hennigan.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#29 » by G-Heel » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:29 pm

Maybe it's recency bias, but I think hennigan is worse than Otis Smith and I was one of the biggest anti-Smith
Fire Otis!
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#30 » by JAY DASH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:49 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
MagicMadness wrote:

And Biyombo is straight up a backup and we're paying him $17 million. I'd rather give Oladipo $20 million because adequate starter is better than a lot of guys on the team right now. That was a stupid move by Hennigan.

Gotta agree with this. Pretty sure we're stuck with Biyombo now. Out of the three (Dipo/Evan/Biyombo), I believe Biz would be the hardest to move at his price tag. PER is cool, but Vic's shooting 44% from the floor, 35% from the arc, and has defended his position at a high level this season. Biz has looked like a guy that's making about 8-9 million too much per year. Kind of hard to argue that we couldn't have kept Evan and Dipo, then turn around and pay a 6'9 guy 17 million to be our backup Center....then pay our backup SF 15 million.
fendilim
RealGM

Post#31 » by fendilim » Tue Feb 21, 2017 3:01 pm

JAY DASH wrote:
Blue_and_Whte wrote:
MagicMadness wrote:

Gotta agree with this. Pretty sure we're stuck with Biyombo now. Out of the three (Dipo/Evan/Biyombo), I believe Biz would be the hardest to move at his price tag. PER is cool, but Vic's shooting 44% from the floor, 35% from the arc, and has defended his position at a high level this season. Biz has looked like a guy that's making about 8-9 million too much per year. Kind of hard to argue that we couldn't have kept Evan and Dipo, then turn around and pay a 6'9 guy 17 million to be our backup Center....then pay our backup SF 15 million.

Well, clearly the plan to go defense first was not a success.

Henni said in one of the interviews (Magic Drive Time, I think) that Henni and Vogel planned that strategy out after how the young guys have developed. And thought the easy way was to improve on defense. Unfortunately for them, they adapted the Pacers strategy, but that like, 2-3 years ago? The league has changed a lot since then.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#32 » by MagicMadness » Tue Feb 21, 2017 5:20 pm

Yeah, Biz's contract has become a huge albatross. You can't shell out that kind of money for a back-up player.

Especially a back-up player that has now regressed...

As for Oladipo, I wouldn't want him at $20 mil just like I don't want Biz at $17 mil. Neither option seems worth it to me.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#33 » by drsd » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:08 pm

Cousins was never, ever going to resign with Orlando. I am convinced he was a headache never worth having.
JAY DASH
Pro Prospect
And1: 455

Post#34 » by JAY DASH » Tue Feb 21, 2017 10:52 pm

IDK...that's agent talk to me. In my mind Boogie's going to sign wherever he can get the most money...and that's with the team that has his Bird Rights. It's a moot point now, but he was probably going to re-sign with the Kings if they gave him the Super Max. I don't think he's worried about ring chasing.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#35 » by Blue_and_Whte » Wed Feb 22, 2017 2:31 pm

MagicMadness wrote:Yeah, Biz's contract has become a huge albatross. You can't shell out that kind of money for a back-up player.

As for Oladipo, I wouldn't want him at $20 mil just like I don't want Biz at $17 mil. Neither option seems worth it to me.

If it isn't already, $20 million will likely be the going rate for a player in his tier. If we were going to spend the money any way, wouldn't they want someone that can actually play the game?
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by MagicMadness » Wed Feb 22, 2017 6:10 pm

Blue_and_Whte wrote:
MagicMadness wrote:Yeah, Biz's contract has become a huge albatross. You can't shell out that kind of money for a back-up player.

If it isn't already, $20 million will likely be the going rate for a player in his tier. If we were going to spend the money any way, wouldn't they want someone that can actually play the game?

Sure, if it wasn't at an already filled position.

I'll take Oladipo or Fournier, but not both. This team is a mess, though...we could play 'what if' scenarios all day.

Return to Orlando Magic