ImageImageImageImage

Do you believe Rob Hennigan deserves to be fired? (Post deadline poll)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Do you think that Orlando Magic GM Rob Hennigan deserves to be fired (pre-deadline poll)?

Poll ended at Thu Mar 2, 2017 9:45 pm

YES
58%
NO
42%

Total votes: 73

OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,153

Re: Do you believe Rob Hennigan deserves to be fired? (Post deadline poll) 

Post#61 » by OrlChamps2030 » Wed Mar 1, 2017 5:41 pm

NEM wrote:
AmazinMUSIC wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
4 years in the lottery, we do need to fire this team.

Lol show me a team that's managed to do better without getting lucky in the lottery? What team would you rather be right now?

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM mobile app

The fact that we have to sit here and say "well if only he would have gotten lucky in the lottery" should tell you that Hennigan is not a good GM. How many times have the Spurs been in the lottery the last 20 years? How many number one picks are on the warriors? How about the raptors? Or the Celtics? Or the rockets? Jazz? Thunder? Nuggets? All of these are playoff teams who didn't exactly rely on luck to get them there.

Relying on lottery luck is like going out and buying a luxurious house and car without having the means for it and justifying it by saying "well I'll be able to pay all of this off once I win the lottery" or "once my startup takes off"

Yeah it's a really overused excuse. Plenty of stars have been acquired through ways other than a top 3 pick. Trades, drafts, signings... Etc
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,632

Post#62 » by Skin » Wed Mar 1, 2017 5:42 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:Dedmon is doing a good job for the Spurs, and he was good for us last year....I have no idea how even at the time Hennigan justifies paying Biz 6 times more. That's why the Spurs are the Spurs and we are the Magic...maximizing value.

We can all like BIZ as a player and not like his contract, Hennigan has yet to answer any questions about this, did he decide to sign biz or was it vogel? can't commit 30 million to center and not have a single star it's bad management.

When we were rebuilding still I also did not care for how Hennigan did not try to maximize assets like Philly and Boston have done, look where they sit vs us we should've been collecting picks trying to hit on a few and didn't do it

Wouldn't have needed to sign Biz if we drafted WCS or Myles Turner. :sigh:
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
AmazinMUSIC
Junior
And1: 137

Post#63 » by AmazinMUSIC » Wed Mar 1, 2017 5:56 pm

NEM wrote:
AmazinMUSIC wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

Lol show me a team that's managed to do better without getting lucky in the lottery? What team would you rather be right now?

The fact that we have to sit here and say "well if only he would have gotten lucky in the lottery" should tell you that Hennigan is not a good GM. How many times have the Spurs been in the lottery the last 20 years? How many number one picks are on the warriors? How about the raptors? Or the Celtics? Or the rockets? Jazz? Thunder? Nuggets? All of these are playoff teams who didn't exactly rely on luck to get them there.

Relying on lottery luck is like going out and buying a luxurious house and car without having the means for it and justifying it by saying "well I'll be able to pay all of this off once I win the lottery" or "once my startup takes off"

My point isn't really about getting lucky in the draft. I'm more so just trying to show that these hypothetical alternate better scenarios aren't as plentiful as everyone would believe.

How many difference making front offices are there really in the league? Spurs, Celtics, Miami?, Cavs, Warriors, Rockets, Thunder?, couple others....

A majority of the league is sh*t lol

OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#64 » by OrlandoNed » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:05 pm

MagicFan32 wrote:When we were rebuilding still I also did not care for how Hennigan did not try to maximize assets like Philly and Boston have done, look where they sit vs us we should've been collecting picks trying to hit on a few and didn't do it

Or even just making savvy moves like Philly and Boston. The deadline where Boston got Thomas from the Suns is a great example of that. Instead of worrying about a veteran stepping on the toes of a rookie, Ainge grabbed a very undervalued talent in Thomas who's contract was peanuts for next to nothing, and now has a darkhorse MVP candidate on his hands.

Hennigan on the other hand was to stubborn and inflexible to drop his man crush on Payton and missed out on IT. A good GM can adjust his plan on the fly and be able to capitalize on the opportunities that present themselves. He was too caught up in doing what was best for Payton, instead of doing what was best for the Magic.

Here's a question for you Defenders of the Henny: How much more slack are you going to cut him before you realize he's just not good enough to be our GM? It's been 5 years with next to no progress. Hennigan says the right things and his plans sound good in theory, but they never work. How much longer do you all plan on making excuses for his overall subpar performance?
AmazinMUSIC
Junior
And1: 137

Do you believe Rob Hennigan deserves to be fired? (Post deadline poll) 

Post#65 » by AmazinMUSIC » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:14 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:
MagicFan32 wrote:When we were rebuilding still I also did not care for how Hennigan did not try to maximize assets like Philly and Boston have done, look where they sit vs us we should've been collecting picks trying to hit on a few and didn't do it

Or even just making savvy moves like Philly and Boston. The deadline where Boston got Thomas from the Suns is a great example of that. Instead of worrying about a veteran stepping on the toes of a rookie, Ainge grabbed a very undervalued talent in Thomas who's contract was peanuts for next to nothing, and now has a darkhorse MVP candidate on his hands.

Hennigan on the other hand was to stubborn and inflexible to drop his man crush on Payton and missed out on IT. A good GM can adjust his plan on the fly and be able to capitalize on the opportunities that present themselves. He was too caught up in doing what was best for Payton, instead of doing what was best for the Magic.

Here's a question for you Defenders of the Henny: How much more slack are you going to cut him before you realize he's just not good enough to be our GM? It's been 5 years with next to no progress. Hennigan says the right things and his plans sound good in theory, but they never work. How much longer do you all plan on making excuses for his overall subpar performance?

I've already said he has no more room to punch holes on his "subpar moves" card. If he squanders another asset I will join you guys with the torches and pitchforks. Until then I'm still in on this team.

tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#66 » by tiderulz » Wed Mar 1, 2017 6:59 pm

AmazinMUSIC wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
AmazinMUSIC wrote:
Harkless and O'Quinn increased their value after they left. Aside from holding on to them, what more could we have gotten? Listen... for the most part I'm not disagreeing with what you're saying... but there's also the side that the typical GM that this team has had in the past could've done an even worse job. There's always that possibility.

Firing Rob right now is almost like firing this team... I'm just not there yet.

any GM relying solely on luck to build and plan needs to be fired.
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,769

Post#67 » by OrlandoNed » Wed Mar 1, 2017 7:23 pm

tiderulz wrote:
AmazinMUSIC wrote:
tiderulz wrote:

any GM relying solely on luck to build and plan needs to be fired.

I've heard luck described as "when opportunity meets execution" or something like that. Henny has had opportunities to right the ship, but he doesn't really execute very often.

Return to Orlando Magic