ImageImageImageImage

Alex Martins interview post-trade deadline

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#1 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 11:27 am

Some of the highlights:

- repeats that Hennigan will be evaluated after the season (from this interview I'm inferring that it doesn't look too good for Rob).
- admits that they hope for lottery luck and a top draft pick (going against the whole 'playoffs are still attainable' message that Rob and Vogel have been pushing).
- says they will be aggressive in free agency.
- the report mentions he expressed excitement at the young guys and satisfaction with Vogel but there are no direct quotes on that.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/24/magic-president-season-has-been-incredibly-disappo/
The Real Dalic
RealGM
And1: 6,985

Re: Alex Martins interview post-trade deadline 

Post#2 » by The Real Dalic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:47 pm

We always say we're gonna be aggressive in free agency and trades, it never really means much. I mean, just this trade deadline we only made one move that involved only 2 players and a pick and this was supposedly the year we were most active. I'm not seeing who we're gonna sign in free agency anyway outside of a couple of role player veterans. I can see a trade going down during the draft for us. Any one of Vuc, Fournier, and Payton could be moved by the draft in my opinion.
God. Family. Country. Basketball.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#3 » by craig01 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:06 pm

It can't look good for Hennigan

And it shouldn't look good either.

Of course, martins as expected would say everything will be evaluated after the season.

The playoffs are still attainable .... the Magic would just need to win 21 of the last 24 games or so. Lol
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,506

Post#4 » by shadrock » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:12 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:We always say we're gonna be aggressive in free agency and trades, it never really means much. I mean, just this trade deadline we only made one move that involved only 2 players and a pick and this was supposedly the year we were most active. I'm not seeing who we're gonna sign in free agency anyway outside of a couple of role player veterans. I can see a trade going down during the draft for us. Any one of Vuc, Fournier, and Payton could be moved by the draft in my opinion.

We have been by a wide margin the most active team at the deadline since Hennigan took over. Big deals at every deadline.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#5 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:19 pm

Martins sounds ready to go full Tank too?
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Re: RE: Alex Martins interview post-trade deadline 

Post#6 » by OrlandO » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:28 pm

PrimeShaq wrote:Martins sounds ready to go full Tank too?

Great, now waive green, sit Watson forever, bring out zimzam and milk all injuries the rest of the season and we'll be set.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,669

Post#7 » by MagicMatic » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:40 pm

The Real Dalic wrote:We always say we're gonna be aggressive in free agency and trades, it never really means much. I mean, just this trade deadline we only made one move that involved only 2 players and a pick and this was supposedly the year we were most active. I'm not seeing who we're gonna sign in free agency anyway outside of a couple of role player veterans. I can see a trade going down during the draft for us. Any one of Vuc, Fournier, and Payton could be moved by the draft in my opinion.

Yeah I don't know why we always say we are going to be aggressive in free agency only to overpay washed up vets. We won't have the luxury to land starting calibur players in free agency.
PrimeThyme
RealGM
And1: 14,326

Post#8 » by PrimeThyme » Sat Feb 25, 2017 4:47 pm

OrlandO wrote:
PrimeShaq wrote:Martins sounds ready to go full Tank too?

Great, now waive green, sit Watson forever, bring out zimzam and milk all injuries the rest of the season and we'll be set.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

We could only hope. That would be the dream scenario but Anti-Tank Vogel would never let it happen.
npiper17
General Manager
And1: 2,337

Post#9 » by npiper17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 pm

To be fair to Martins, being aggressive just means spending the money (or at least trying to).

They have done that the last two summers chasing Millsap and then Biyombo (whether you agree with the signing or not, he was their top target and they got him by paying the money).

Don't forget the cap space likely goes after this summer because Gordon's extension (and potentially Payton's) will eat into that space the following season.
TreasureCoast
Analyst
And1: 2,745

Post#10 » by TreasureCoast » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:09 pm

Wish I could interview him!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#11 » by drsd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:12 pm

craig01 wrote:The playoffs are still attainable .... the Magic would just need to win 21 of the last 24 games or so. Lol

It looks like the 8th seed will be about a 40W-42L team. Orlando needs 19 wins to get to that point :o

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#12 » by drsd » Sat Feb 25, 2017 7:13 pm

Alex Martins job is to ensure profit for the Magic. He does that job very well.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#13 » by Optimus_Steel » Sat Feb 25, 2017 8:03 pm

We have cap space but it dont mean anything anymore when most team have cap space. They got to pull something big with trades and the draft.

Sent from my SM-N920V using RealGM mobile app
aka: prorl
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,143

Post#14 » by OrlChamps2030 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:34 pm

Who cares

The goal remains the same:

Lose as many games possible and see what AG can do at the 4
rcklsscognition
RealGM
And1: 7,126

Post#15 » by rcklsscognition » Sat Feb 25, 2017 10:45 pm

blah blah blah.....“If we can get lucky for the first time in several years in the lottery and get up into the top 3, obviously you have a difference maker in this draft,” Martins said. “We also expect to be aggressive in free agency this summer. So we will see.”

Ok Alex, you know what's up. Get it done.
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#16 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:17 am

npiper17 wrote:Some of the highlights:

- repeats that Hennigan will be evaluated after the season (from this interview I'm inferring that it doesn't look too good for Rob).
- admits that they hope for lottery luck and a top draft pick (going against the whole 'playoffs are still attainable' message that Rob and Vogel have been pushing).
- says they will be aggressive in free agency.
- the report mentions he expressed excitement at the young guys and satisfaction with Vogel but there are no direct quotes on that.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/feb/24/magic-president-season-has-been-incredibly-disappo/

How well did being aggressive in free agency work last summer? learn from your stupidity man
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#17 » by fendilim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 1:45 pm

Lol. Its funny how all these articles come out after issues of wanting to fire somebody comes out. Fire Hennigan, and Hennigan holds interviews. Pooper Mario then Mario articles come out. Fire Martins now and Martins talks to the media. Hahaha
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#18 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:16 pm

If Ross continues playing like this that may save Rob's job.

fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,002

Post#19 » by fendilim » Sun Feb 26, 2017 3:20 pm

Optimus_Steel wrote:If Ross continues playing like this that may save Rob's job.

Well, tbh, the trade was not a bad at deal. If you look at it, Ross' numbers are similar to Ross and posibly a better shooter too. It just happens that Oladipo is more marketable and more popular than tRoss. So it sounds like we traded ibaka for a bench player

My biggest concern is actully not getting a top 5 pick the way he plays. Lol
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Re: RE: Re: Alex Martins interview post-trade deadline 

Post#20 » by Optimus_Steel » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm

fendilim wrote:
Optimus_Steel wrote:If Ross continues playing like this that may save Rob's job.

Well, tbh, the trade was not a bad at deal. If you look at it, Ross' numbers are similar to Ross and posibly a better shooter too. It just happens that Oladipo is more marketable and more popular than tRoss. So it sounds like we traded ibaka for a bench player

My biggest concern is actully not getting a top 5 pick the way he plays. Lol

I didn't feel that way. Ross is clearly very skilled and talented and was due for a larger role. Ross is better suited for where our team stands.

Return to Orlando Magic