ImageImageImageImage

Post Season Decision Time: Acquire a SF and send Evan to the Bench?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post Season Decision Time: Acquire a SF and send Evan to the Bench? 

Post#1 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:46 pm

Still very early, but acquiring Ross and putting AG at the 4 has changed the dymanics of this team quickly. Team looks much more balanced and AG can use his quickness to exploit slower PFs. Ross gives us the best shot maker we've had in a long time. So now we have Evan playing SF and we know he has struggled defensing that position. So do we acquire a starting level SF that can shoot and send Evan to a 6th man role, which he would do well in. Or do we try to acquire a starting level PG that can shoot and send Elf to the bench as a 6th man? What would be more important? What is the #1 priority for you this summer?
aka: prorl
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Re: Post Season Decision Time: Acquire a SF and send Evan to the Bench? 

Post#2 » by tiderulz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:53 pm

starting level PG in my opinion. everyone is going to have trouble defending a bunch of the top SF's in the game right now. But if we can limit it to just the oppposing SF causing damage, we can still be a good team.

but we need the better of the 2, so if a better SF is available and an average PG, go with the PG. Also depends on who we draft. If we draft a top wing, go for the PG, or the reverse
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#3 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:56 pm

Draft Jayson Tatum or Jonathan Isaac and hope that they are ready to start at the 3. I want to see more of Payton in this new system before I say anything about the PG. But Fournier needs to go to the bench.

Sent from my SM-G935V using RealGM mobile app
ButchMcRae
Junior
And1: 167

Post#4 » by ButchMcRae » Mon Feb 27, 2017 2:57 pm

IMO I believe its still to early for Terrence Ross. I love what I've seen from him in his second game but its only been two games. For me im going with drafting a PG in a heavy PG draft class and putting EP on the bench. We've paid Fournier too much for him to come off the bench. Regardless the priority for this summer is to draft best available period. We're in no position to draft for positional needs.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,158

Post#5 » by OrlChamps2030 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:00 pm

We need improvement at the PG and SF position. Luckily, BPA should play either position.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#6 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:02 pm

It really comes down to who is available.

Do we throw the max at Hayward? Take a shot on Gallo and hope he stays healthy? Try and pry OP Jr. from Washington? Overpay Iggy to come be a veteran leader? Then there are some other lesser options.
Blue_and_Whte
RealGM
And1: 9,237

Post#7 » by Blue_and_Whte » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:27 pm

Starting level PG should be the priority imo since we're easily more talented at SF as Ross and Evan are interchangeable. One of the most talented positions in the NBA is SF so unless we somehow land Leonard anybody we put into that role will have trouble defending. This is where team defense comes into play. Of course I'm a fan of drafting BPA so I guess a lot of it depends on who we end up with.
Faith, Family, Basketball
#2A
#Adopt
OrlandoNed
Head Coach
And1: 4,775

Post#8 » by OrlandoNed » Mon Feb 27, 2017 3:52 pm

Our offseason plans hinge on who we take with our first round pick. I like a lot of our options. Those options and their effect on what happens to Fournier go like this:

Option 1- Draft PG (Fultz/Ball/Smith)

Send either Payton or Augustin to the bench and trade the other. Try to trade Fournier for assets. If not, start him to boost his trade value to eventually find an offer and draft a SG with the Raps/Clips pick to be his backup. Draft a backup PF with one of our high 2nd round picks to backup Gordon. Ross/Mario are the SFs and Vuc/Biyombo are the Cs. Sell high on either Vuc/Biyombo at trade deadline and Zimmerman takes the backup C spot.

Option 2- Draft SF (Jackson/Issac/Tatum)

Start the rookie SF. Move Ross to starting SG. Bench Fournier or trade him. Draft a backup SG and PF with Raps/Clips pick and our 2nd. Mario stays as backup SF. Elf/DJ stays at PG. Vuc/Biyombo stays at C.

Option 3- Draft SG (Monk)

Start Monk. Do everything possible to dump Fournier. Draft 2 backups at either PG/SG/PF. Every other returning player stays put.

TLDR: Trade vets and Payton for best offers. Start our 1st rounder. Keep Gordon/Mario/Ross. End with 1 of 3 rosters (barring trades)-

(Fultz/Ball/Smith)/Elf/DJ
Fournier/WoRC pick/FA
Ross/Mario/FA
AG/2nd/FA
Vuc/Biyombo/Zimm

OR

Elf/DJ/FA
Ross/Fournier/2nd
(Jackson/Issac/Tatum)/Mario/FA
AG/WoRC pick/FA
Vuc/Biyombo/Zimm

OR

Elf/DJ/WoRC pick
Monk/Not Fournier FA/FA
Ross/Mario/FA
AG/2nd/FA
Vuc/Biyombo/Zimm
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#9 » by drsd » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:42 pm

Orlando's weakest slot has been SF. Fournier cannot be a full-time starter there, but I think it is to early to comment on Ross as a full-time SF. If Ross is the future at SG, then yes, Fournier needs to be a sixth man.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#10 » by tiderulz » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:46 pm

drsd wrote:Orlando's weakest slot has been SF. Fournier cannot be a full-time starter there, but I think it is to early to comment on Ross as a full-time SF. If Ross is the future at SG, then yes, Fournier needs to be a sixth man.

if Ross could play SF full time, they wouldnt have gone out and spent big money on Demarre Carroll.
Skin
RealGM
And1: 8,636

Post#11 » by Skin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:53 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:It really comes down to who is available.

Do we throw the max at Hayward? Take a shot on Gallo and hope he stays healthy? Try and pry OP Jr. from Washington? Overpay Iggy to come be a veteran leader? Then there are some other lesser options.

You and your veteran fetish... :sour:

Need to stay away from FA.
Jett Howard, Franz Wagner, Paolo Banchero, Jonathan Isaac, Wendell Carter Jr
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Post#12 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 27, 2017 4:55 pm

tiderulz wrote:
drsd wrote:Orlando's weakest slot has been SF. Fournier cannot be a full-time starter there, but I think it is to early to comment on Ross as a full-time SF. If Ross is the future at SG, then yes, Fournier needs to be a sixth man.

if Ross could play SF full time, they wouldnt have gone out and spent big money on Demarre Carroll.

I agree. All indications are from Tor fans that Ross like Evan should not play SF full time. They both seems to get tired guarding SF.
aka: prorl
Skin
RealGM

Post#13 » by Skin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:00 pm

OrlandoNed wrote:Our offseason plans hinge on who we take with our first round pick. I like a lot of our options. Those options and their effect on what happens to Fournier go like this:

Option 1- Draft PG (Fultz/Ball/Smith)

Send either Payton or Augustin to the bench and trade the other. Try to trade Fournier for assets. If not, start him to boost his trade value to eventually find an offer and draft a SG with the Raps/Clips pick to be his backup. Draft a backup PF with one of our high 2nd round picks to backup Gordon. Ross/Mario are the SFs and Vuc/Biyombo are the Cs. Sell high on either Vuc/Biyombo at trade deadline and Zimmerman takes the backup C spot.

Option 2- Draft SF (Jackson/Issac/Tatum)

Start the rookie SF. Move Ross to starting SG. Bench Fournier or trade him. Draft a backup SG and PF with Raps/Clips pick and our 2nd. Mario stays as backup SF. Elf/DJ stays at PG. Vuc/Biyombo stays at C.

Option 3- Draft SG (Monk)

Start Monk. Do everything possible to dump Fournier. Draft 2 backups at either PG/SG/PF. Every other returning player stays put.

TLDR: Trade vets and Payton for best offers. Start our 1st rounder. Keep Gordon/Mario/Ross. End with 1 of 3 rosters (barring trades)-

(Fultz/Ball/Smith)/Elf/DJ
Fournier/WoRC pick/FA
Ross/Mario/FA
AG/2nd/FA
Vuc/Biyombo/Zimm

OR

Elf/DJ/FA
Ross/Fournier/2nd
(Jackson/Issac/Tatum)/Mario/FA
AG/WoRC pick/FA
Vuc/Biyombo/Zimm

OR

Elf/DJ/WoRC pick
Monk/Not Fournier FA/FA
Ross/Mario/FA
AG/2nd/FA
Vuc/Biyombo/Zimm

I like this because every scenario has Fournier being traded. Of course we overpaid for him and now he makes more than a bench player should make. We should've traded him before the deadline for a mid to late pick and expirings, but we have a GM who loves Poodle. If our new GM can trade Fournier on draft day that will be great. Either way, he's a mismanagement of resources and we have to get rid of him. You don't pay a bench guy that much money... well... I mean Henny does (Biztrash too)... but hopefully our next GM can clean up this mess.

Answer for OP is BPA in the draft. Trade vets for picks. Continue to build via the draft.
Anthony Black, Cole Anthony, Jalen Suggs, Joe Ingles, Chuma Okeke, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze LESSSGOOO!!!
PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Post#14 » by PennytoShaq » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:19 pm

Ross is not a SF. He is a SG.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#15 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:50 pm

Skin wrote:

Who have I pushed for in the past?

Was really just describing the different directions that would be available at SF in FA. I don't want Iggy at all. Swing for the fence on Hayward and if that fails, try to pry Porter from Washington. Both would be able to fit in really well. Then give me one of the top guards in the draft.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#16 » by fendilim » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Why sf? Aaron gordon is the next kawhi/paul george. Lmao
OrlandO
RealGM
And1: 16,421

Post#17 » by OrlandO » Mon Feb 27, 2017 5:57 pm

I don't think we have a max to give anymore... that was supposed to go to Ibaka as we could go over the cap to retain him. Without a trade we're looking at another biz/fournier type player.
Skin
RealGM

Post#18 » by Skin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:00 pm

LBPTarHeel27 wrote:
Skin wrote:

Who have I pushed for in the past?

Was really just describing the different directions that would be available at SF in FA. I don't want Iggy at all. Swing for the fence on Hayward and if that fails, try to pry Porter from Washington. Both would be able to fit in really well. Then give me one of the top guards in the draft.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I feel like you have been wanting us to go the HOU route of rebuilding... trade for a star/sign big named FAs... no?
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM

Post#19 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:03 pm

OrlandO wrote:

I don't think we have a max to give anymore... that was supposed to go to Ibaka as we could go over the cap to retain him.

I'm sure we could find a way to make it work. Projected to be 102 mill...we will have 83 mill locked up. Need to find a way to dump Augustin and Watson for a bag of potato chips. That'd give us over 31 mill to spend without having to worry about retaining any of our own guys. I'm sure Zimm isn't guaranteed, that'd be another mill.
Skin
RealGM

Post#20 » by Skin » Mon Feb 27, 2017 6:03 pm

fendilim wrote:Why sf? Aaron gordon is the next kawhi/paul george. Lmao

Wrong. Gordon was supposed to be the next Lebron. He just doesn't like to attack the rim without a clear path. Mental weakness in that regard. That's where he's let me down.

But just wait till he's 25. Gonna beast.

Return to Orlando Magic