ImageImageImageImage

Tank Game of the season- Philadelphia (26-43) @ Orlando Magic (25-45)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

BadMofoPimp
RealGM
And1: 11,593

Re: Tank Game of the season- Philadelphia (26-43) @ Orlando Magic (25-45) 

Post#521 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:24 pm

tiderulz wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:I wasn't able to post last night, but what a game. You could tell that all the players were driven to win that game and put in a good deal of effort. Especially, Elf and Fournier towards the end. I know people here want the team to lose, but you have to respect the players will to want to win. You take that from them and it just may kill their motivation to become better players in the long run. But, I enjoyed the heck out of that comeback victory.

i can respect the players, while respecting a coach and GM stealthily getting a loss for a better pick.

If the players are personally going all out for a victory, is any GM or Coach going to sabotage that game?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#522 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:29 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

And what has that got us? Jack squat! Yes RDV is willing to open his wallet, but he is also willing to screw up a rebuild, by not allowing the GM to do his job, by forcing his way into speeding up the rebuild because he wants to see Orlando win a championship before he dies. Guess what, that is not happening. The guy is 91. Also teams in front of us in the tank race, are shuting down healthy players. Meanwhile our owner and Pres of Basketball operations still think the playoffs are in reach this season. :banghead: He ruined this rebuild by trying to speed it up.

I honestly believe that we will not improve until he and Martins are gone.

it got us a finals appearance.

Correct. And what did signing Arenas to all that money get us?

Otis getting fired?

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#523 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:40 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
it got us a finals appearance.

Otis getting fired?

That money could have went to players, who actually would have made a difference on the court.
Patrick1978
Veteran
And1: 872

Post#524 » by Patrick1978 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:40 pm

bigpimpatl wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Loblolly so by tanking you get an extra 6% at best to win the 1st pick in a draft where no one agree on who r the top 3 players.

You guys r jokes

Just start a poll asking who would people want at #4, most of the names you like get would be available at #6

Bottom line is that if you r cheering for losses you are not a tanker, you are a losers. You have to call a cat a cat.

Peace

My friend i am with you
The tanking section is really annoying

My opinion is that we will get a good player in the draft.this draft has a lot of of good players

Go Magic

Same here. Tired of this tanking thing. There are always players that get overlooked or fall for unknown reasons that end up having great careers. You don't need the first selection to get a good player, and you're not guaranteed the best player with the first pick either. There is no Anthony Davis or Dwight Howard, a clear can't miss prospect in this draft. But there are lots of good players. It's more important to pick the best player wherever we pick then purposefully lose to only slightly increase your chance of picking higher. Hell we could even get lucky and get in the top 3 as we have a good chance for it.

You are welcome my friend
Magic din romania

Ma numesc petre,sunt de la constanta

Fire Frank Vogel
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#525 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm laughing at all these posters here who somehow think that the mythical "treadmill of mediocrity" is somehow worse than being on the treadmill of awful.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#526 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:45 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Otis getting fired?

That money could have went to players, who actually would have made a difference on the court.

Just goes to show you Martins/Devos wasn't controlling Otis's crazy decisions and probably Henny's either.

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#527 » by fendilim » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:47 pm

KingRobb02 wrote:I'm laughing at all these posters here who somehow think that the mythical "treadmill of mediocrity" is somehow worse than being on the treadmill of awful.

Treadmill of awful may actually be a good thing, because that means landing a nice pick and you'll eventually get lucky hitting one pick, if not you still get a high pick every year and at least get excited about a top rookie.

Than being a middle of the pack, late lotto every year. Nothing to be excited for every season because you know your team will stick suck.
Def Swami
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 15,116

Post#528 » by Def Swami » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:49 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
Def Swami wrote:Lakers, Suns, and Sixers are all shutting guys down and the Magic are out here content winning games on the backs of players who won't even be here next year. I'm so ready for every one to be fired and let go. No vision. No direction.

Unfortunately things won't change, until Devos and Martins are gone. No new GM or coach can fix this.

Every one can catch the bus on out. It's a cesspool of incompetence.
Magic_Kingdom
Rookie
And1: 974

Post#529 » by Magic_Kingdom » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:54 pm

drsd wrote:
The1llness wrote:Meanwhile the Heat rebuilt from the Big 3 by going bargain bin shopping and pulling out Whiteside & Waiters and are now the hottest team in 2017. Not to mention they're doing this while having a cap albatross in Chris Bosh and haven't been without Winslow most of the year.

Oh to have competent management.

The anti-Tank core arises!

This articulates why tanking does not work. Look at Boston. That team also built itself up without lottery luck AND traded for what will be a top-3 pick in the coming draft.

There are far more examples of non-tanking teams rising to the top of their conference than tanking teams. Statistically speaking, tanking is an inferior strategy, and that has been proven out. But the tanking crowd doesn't want to listen to this.

It's human nature to want to "get rich quick" rather than work for your money. Tanking is like graduating from high school and deciding to play the lottery every day instead of going to college, getting an entry-level job, and working your way up.

Tanking has three enormous flaws -- 1) You are not guaranteed a top 3 pick; 2) If you get a top 3 pick, you are not guaranteed a star; and, 3) in the process of rolling the dice on 1 and 2, you build a losing culture and your players don't develop the way they would in a winning atmosphere.

Make no mistake about it, the Magic tanked for 3+ years. In year 4 they were arguably still tanking (did not add any higher tier free agents to improve the team and traded away Tobias for expiring contracts midway through season), but Skiles got them to over-achieve and win 35 games. They weren't that good. The strategy of bottoming-out, signing only scrub free agents for 4 consecutive summers and starting all 21-year-olds from Day 1 will have Rob Hennigan looking for a job this summer. Yes, he just missed out on Embiid and Porzingis -- but the Magic were not that close in the win column to the teams immediately above them those years. In other words, tanking a little harder would not have made a difference.

People like to use Hinkie and the Sixers as an example of what the Magic should have done. Really? How many years in a row has Philadelphia gutted its team, sat out players with fake injuries, and lost on purpose? At least 5, right? And what do they have to show for it? MCW, gone. Noel, gone. Embiid, may never be healthy. No evidence to show he can last even half of an NBA season. And the big prize, Simmons, might be a superstar...but might not. And if he does become one, when will that be? And how good will the team be? The Sixers are as bad as we are, with a little more hope. But that hope is currently a name on a piece of paper.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#530 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 1:58 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Otis getting fired?

Just goes to show you Martins/Devos wasn't controlling Otis's crazy decisions and probably Henny's either.

Umm no it doesn't. It shows you that Devos let Otis talk him into shelling out that kind of money. Only to amnesty and eat the money as a loss.
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,532

Post#531 » by Furinkazan » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:08 pm

fendilim wrote:
KingRobb02 wrote:I'm laughing at all these posters here who somehow think that the mythical "treadmill of mediocrity" is somehow worse than being on the treadmill of awful.

Treadmill of awful may actually be a good thing, because that means landing a nice pick and you'll eventually get lucky hitting one pick, if not you still get a high pick every year and at least get excited about a top rookie.

Than being a middle of the pack, late lotto every year. Nothing to be excited for every season because you know your team will stick suck.

problem is ....treadmil of awful sometimes takes too long like 1-2 decades

look at twolves sure they struck gold with Towns but they are on a 12 year playoffs drought and though they fight they will most likely add 13th this season
Sacto stands at 10 years we can say 11 already and they just reseted ... imo they look at 2 decade drought

once you are down there... its not easy to get back up

at some point you may start praying to join medicority crowd
KingRobb02
Lead Assistant
And1: 917

Post#532 » by KingRobb02 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:24 pm

~Snoopy~ wrote:
fendilim wrote:

problem is treadmil of awful sometimes takes too long like 1-2 decades

look at twolves sure they struck gold with Towns but they are on a 12 year playoffs drought and though they fight they will most likely add 13th this season
Sacto stands at 10 years we can say 11 already and they just reseted ... imo they look at 2 decade drought

once you are down there... its not easy to get back up

Yes, but I'm sure their fans were extremely happy with what they got out of Demarcus Cousins.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#533 » by NEM » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:27 pm

You know we didn't actually sign arenas right? We traded Lewis (washed up by then) for the only contract we could have traded him for at the time (arenas) in hopes that he could regain some of his play making form. It never happened, Otis got fired and the rest is history. Keeping Lewis would have meant we sucked for sure. Trading for arenas was semi unknown at the time and a chance the magic were obviously willing to take if it meant being even marginally better.

I'm not saying it was a good idea and obviously hindsight is 20/20, but I can see what Otis was trying to do at least. I can't say the same for the current regime.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
Flannerz
Pro Prospect
And1: 499

Post#534 » by Flannerz » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:37 pm

NEM wrote:You know we didn't actually sign arenas right? We traded Lewis (washed up by then) for the only contract we could have traded him for at the time (arenas) in hopes that he could regain some of his play making form. It never happened, Otis got fired and the rest is history. Keeping Lewis would have meant we sucked for sure. Trading for arenas was semi unknown at the time and a chance the magic were obviously willing to take if it meant being even marginally better.

I'm not saying it was a good idea and obviously hindsight is 20/20, but I can see what Otis was trying to do at least. I can't say the same for the current regime.

and surely in that case he was just backing his GM. We still had Howard and a good team at that point. We didn't have a few years of utter shite where ownership got impatient and interfered.
BadMofoPimp
RealGM

Post#535 » by BadMofoPimp » Tue Mar 21, 2017 2:59 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:

Umm no it doesn't. It shows you that Devos let Otis talk him into shelling out that kind of money. Only to amnesty and eat the money as a loss.

And, look what Henny has convinced Devos to do as well!!!

Provin Ya'll Wrong!!!
bigdogdylan5
Assistant Coach
And1: 2,069

Post#536 » by bigdogdylan5 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:01 pm

tiderulz wrote:
Patrick1978 wrote:
cedric76 wrote:

Loblolly so by tanking you get an extra 6% at best to win the 1st pick in a draft where no one agree on who r the top 3 players.

You guys r jokes

Just start a poll asking who would people want at #4, most of the names you like get would be available at #6

Bottom line is that if you r cheering for losses you are not a tanker, you are a losers. You have to call a cat a cat.

Peace

My friend i am with you
The tanking section is really annoying

My opinion is that we will get a good player in the draft.this draft has a lot of of good players

Go Magic

we hear that every year. and we look back every year and it isnt true.

So damn true this is anti tank argument every year and we consistently are one pick away from best players there is a really big conquence winning games like this
Fine print disclaimer for Fultz takes:
I am high on Markelle Fultz. Yes I understand he is not perfect and needs to shoot more and better and turn the ball over less. I would really like to see him play one more year.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#537 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:09 pm

BadMofoPimp wrote:
Nemesis21 wrote:
BadMofoPimp wrote:

And, look what Henny has convinced Devos to do as well!!!

Not even close bro. Biz & J Green money probably less than Gilbert money.
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,828

Post#538 » by MagicMatic » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:09 pm

Magic_Kingdom wrote:
drsd wrote:
The1llness wrote:Meanwhile the Heat rebuilt from the Big 3 by going bargain bin shopping and pulling out Whiteside & Waiters and are now the hottest team in 2017. Not to mention they're doing this while having a cap albatross in Chris Bosh and haven't been without Winslow most of the year.

Oh to have competent management.

The anti-Tank core arises!

This articulates why tanking does not work. Look at Boston. That team also built itself up without lottery luck AND traded for what will be a top-3 pick in the coming draft.

Statistically speaking, tanking is an inferior strategy, and that has been proven out. But the tanking crowd doesn't want to listen to this.

Make no mistake about it, the Magic tanked for 3+ years. In year 4 they were arguably still tanking. Yes, he just missed out on Embiid and Porzingis -- In other words, tanking a little harder would not have made a difference.

People like to use Hinkie and the Sixers as an example of what the Magic should have done. Really?

1) Call it whatever you want- Tanking , hoping for losses, not wanting to win meaningless games this deep in the season etc. This roster isn't good. We need talent. Getting a top 5 pick gives us a chance to potentially build around that player on a cheap contract. I will always take the higher % of jumping a pick than winning against the 76ers in march with a terrible roster and no playoffs in sight.

2) The magic earned those high picks in years of talentless drafts.Correct.
The second part is a contradiction. Are you saying Embiid and KP wouldn't help us more right now than Mario and AG? Interesting.

3) Who cares what the sixers do / have. They pick the players they pick because of the way the system works. The goal is to win championships and build dynasties. If you think this roster is capable of doing that, you are probably the most positive person on the planet.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#539 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:10 pm

NEM wrote:You know we didn't actually sign arenas right? We traded Lewis (washed up by then) for the only contract we could have traded him for at the time (arenas) in hopes that he could regain some of his play making form. It never happened, Otis got fired and the rest is history. Keeping Lewis would have meant we sucked for sure. Trading for arenas was semi unknown at the time and a chance the magic were obviously willing to take if it meant being even marginally better.

You know we still had to pay him a boat load of money right? :roll:
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,221

Post#540 » by pepe1991 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 3:18 pm

Arguing that Embiid and Zingis wouldn't transform this team into playoff contender today is pretty damn laughable. It's like saying that Dallas in 1984 didn't miss much when they picked Sam Perkins 1 slot away from Jordan.

Porzingis already got lot of allstar votes. Embiid's stats were cartoonish when he played, on team that was actually winning games when he was healthy.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon

Return to Orlando Magic