ImageImageImageImage

With the 6th pick, the Orlando Magic, select...

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

PennytoShaq
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 5,218

Re: With the 6th pick, the Orlando Magic, select... 

Post#621 » by PennytoShaq » Sun May 28, 2017 12:23 am

Gomagic44 wrote:
Darth Magic wrote:
Gomagic44 wrote:In today's NBA shooters have move value than defenders.

Sent from my iPhone using RealGM Forums

I think that's true for every position except center. I think having a physical center is still extremely important. Formula today is point guard who can anchor your offense and center who can anchor your defense.

I think you need a lockdown big man. Not necessarily center. The rest can score all day. Defense is overrated. Look at the playoffs.

Not sure your point - The Warriors have the 2nd best Drating in Basketball.
Gomagic44
Head Coach
And1: 2,187

Post#622 » by Gomagic44 » Sun May 28, 2017 12:33 am

TDJacksonville wrote:
j-ragg wrote:
TDJacksonville wrote:6: R1P6 PG DENNIS SMITH NORTH CAROLINA STATE starting pg

25: R1P25 SF OG ANUNOBY INDIANA defensive guy to develop into a 3 and d

33: R2P3 SG JOSH HART VILLANOVA scorer

35: R2P5 PF ISAIAH HARTENSTEIN GERMANY stretch center

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

I'd be thrilled if this were our draft. Rather have Frank Mason than Josh Hart but to each their own.

Is Isaiah Hartenstein playing in the NBA next year? Or would he be a draft and stash? I don't know much about him but feel like I saw him at the hoop summit.

I don't see the need to add a 2nd pg in the draft with Peyton still here.

I think he should be a stash for a year or 2.

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

Payton is not our starting pg of the future.

MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#623 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:05 am

Gomagic44 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Gomagic44 wrote:
If we keep Ag than he can be our Avery Bradley. Everyone else can be scorers.

How did that system work out for Houston? I'll answer. It doesn't.

You want to mimic a faulty system without having the most important piece (a super star). Come on man... craziness.

I want guys that can put the ball in the basket more than the guys we currently have.

And if the opposing players put it in the basket even more then what is the point? Ah, so maybe that defensive stuff you care so little about matters? Just maybe?
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#624 » by Truth24 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:28 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
Gomagic44 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
How did that system work out for Houston? I'll answer. It doesn't.

You want to mimic a faulty system without having the most important piece (a super star). Come on man... craziness.

I want guys that can put the ball in the basket more than the guys we currently have.

And if the opposing players put it in the basket even more then what is the point? Ah, so maybe that defensive stuff you care so little about matters? Just maybe?

We have drafted defensive minded players who had to work on offense for so many years now. So yeah I would rather draft a offensive player who needs some work on defense. Where we are drafting there really isn't any player who ticks it both ways, possible Isaac but I think he is going to take some time to develop. DSJ, Monk, and Markkanen are all more offensive oriented players who lack defense.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,017

Post#625 » by fendilim » Sun May 28, 2017 1:37 am

PennytoShaq wrote:
MagicMatic wrote:
fendilim wrote:Markannen coming in as a rookie may already be the best shooting Center in the NBA.

How much is that worth when no successful team in the NBA is centered around a three point shooting Center?

Well I personally don't think the team's offense should be centered around a stretch 5. But I do think that having such a player can be a big advantage for matchups and floor spacing.

The league is just beginning to go tht direction now actually.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,523

Post#626 » by SOUL » Sun May 28, 2017 1:45 am

The league is fickle. You can't build like another team if you don't have the pieces, and then the new teams that are successful/winners carve their own way and style, and then people are like "we have to get this sort of dude" while being a super poor man's version of that team. What you need is a star/borderline superstar and you can usually make it work depending what their style is. We did it with Dwight.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,644

Post#627 » by Howard Mass » Sun May 28, 2017 9:09 am

The Magic need to take the best available player.

While I do like Elfrid Payton, he has not locked down the starting point guard role.

If Fox or Tatum drops, they should take them.

Dennis Smith is also someone on my list.

Jonathan Issac is also an interesting prospect for #6.

I will say though that I think there could very surprises at the top 5 picks ahead of The Magic. Locks of mocks will be busted.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#628 » by basketballRob » Sun May 28, 2017 11:30 am

Truth24 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Gomagic44 wrote:I want guys that can put the ball in the basket more than the guys we currently have.

We have drafted defensive minded players who had to work on offense for so many years now. So yeah I would rather draft a offensive player who needs some work on defense. Where we are drafting there really isn't any player who ticks it both ways, possible Isaac but I think he is going to take some time to develop. DSJ, Monk, and Markkanen are all more offensive oriented players who lack defense.

Have a feeling if we don't take Monk he'll be scoring over 20 ppg for the Knicks next season.
UcanUwill
RealGM
And1: 28,744

Post#629 » by UcanUwill » Sun May 28, 2017 1:11 pm

Global Game wrote:Markkanen at 6

Sindarius Thornwell was one of the best 2 way players/leaders in the tournament and all season.
Better than Tatum, Kennard, Dennis Smith Jr, Isaac - maybe those guys get to that level, maybe not.

Thornwell at 25

Add the second rounders and the Magic have strengthened their weaknesses.
Hammond and Weltman can find a capable (not perfect) point guard (run the pick and roll well and shoot well)

The Magic make the playoffs and start trending up as a franchise

Thomas Heurtel
Sindarius Thornwell
Anthony Randolph
Markkanen
Vucecic
Fournier
Gordon
Biyombo
Ross
Hezonja
Payton
Augustin

Unless Markkanen turns into a star, thats pretty teribble team to be honest. Not even close to playoffs.
Magicaljosh
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#630 » by Magicaljosh » Sun May 28, 2017 1:42 pm

Would you guys like the idea of vuc or fournier and pick 25 to sacramento for pick 10? Idk if sacramento would do it but its interesting thought
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#631 » by j-ragg » Sun May 28, 2017 1:44 pm

Magicaljosh wrote:Would you guys like the idea of vuc or fournier and pick 25 to sacramento for pick 10? Idk if sacramento would do it but its interesting thought

They probably wouldn't. But I'd be happy with it.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Magicaljosh
Sophomore
And1: 89

Post#632 » by Magicaljosh » Sun May 28, 2017 1:51 pm

Maybe we can throw in one of our seconds
fbeye343
Junior
And1: 81

Post#633 » by fbeye343 » Sun May 28, 2017 1:58 pm

Howard Mass wrote:The Magic need to take the best available player.

While I do like Elfrid Payton, he has not locked down the starting point guard role.

If Fox or Tatum drops, they should take them.

Dennis Smith is also someone on my list.

Jonathan Issac is also an interesting prospect for #6.

I will say though that I think there could very surprises at the top 5 picks ahead of The Magic. Locks of mocks will be busted.

John Hammond recently said in an interview with Sirius XM NBA radio that the Magic will take the best player available at #6
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#634 » by drsd » Sun May 28, 2017 2:06 pm

Magicaljosh wrote:Maybe we can throw in one of our seconds

To trade up from 6?

Orlando adding both 2nds would not be enough to trade up to 5. Both 2nds could be coupled to 25 to move up 1-3 slots though.

The Effect
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 2,053

Post#635 » by The Effect » Sun May 28, 2017 3:31 pm

drsd wrote:

To trade up from 6?

Orlando adding both 2nds would not be enough to trade up to 5. Both 2nds could be coupled to 25 to move up 1-3 slots though.

I seriously doubt that's true, the king's need piece, especially at pg, and I think if the first 4 picks are Fultz,ball,Jackson,fox and their choice is Tatum or trade for 6, 33,35 ,they will take that trade and get the pg they need in dsj

I think WE would reject it, not the kings
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#636 » by MagicFan101 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:35 pm

basketballRob wrote:
Truth24 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Have a feeling if we don't take Monk he'll be scoring over 20 ppg for the Knicks next season.

And?

Isiah Thomas averaged nearly 30 this season but it wasn't until he got hurt that the Celtics looked competitive against the Cavs.

At best Monk is the Robin to a Batman we don't have. Why not target guys with a chance to be more? DSJ, Tatum, Isaac. Each of these guys could be more. If not, we suck again and try our luck next year with a fresh management.
Truth24
Starter
And1: 443

Post#637 » by Truth24 » Sun May 28, 2017 4:54 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Truth24 wrote:

And?

Isiah Thomas averaged nearly 30 this season but it wasn't until he got hurt that the Celtics looked competitive against the Cavs.

At best Monk is the Robin to a Batman we don't have. Why not target guys with a chance to be more? DSJ, Tatum, Isaac. Each of these guys could be more.If not, we suck again and try our luck next year with a fresh management.

That's the thing no matter who we draft, we will still most likely end up in the lottery again next year. We aren't getting our savior with this pick. Yet we can start to rebuild here and get a solid contributor and possible an all-star player. I agree that I would take Tatum over Monk but really guys like Isaac and Smith aren't just heads and shoulders above Monk. Taking Tatum out of the equation each player that would be around at the sixth pick has flaws, each player at that pick won't most likely start this year barring injury.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#638 » by tiderulz » Sun May 28, 2017 5:12 pm

drsd wrote:

To trade up from 6?

there really that much of a difference between the players 3-6?
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#639 » by Max Power » Sun May 28, 2017 5:17 pm

I'm sorry, but I keep hearing Malik Monk for us, and that scares me to death. We need Dennis Smith or a guy like Tatum. The thought of a Payton/Fournier/Monk backcourt is puke inducing.

You look confused...let me fill you in.
basketballRob
RealGM
And1: 10,713

Post#640 » by basketballRob » Sun May 28, 2017 5:57 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
basketballRob wrote:
Truth24 wrote:

And?

At best Monk is the Robin to a Batman we don't have. Why not target guys with a chance to be more? DSJ, Tatum, Isaac. Each of these guys could be more. If not, we suck again and try our luck next year with a fresh management.

Tatum, Isaac, and DSJ all seem intriguing, but they all could be projects.

Monk doesn't have the size or wingspan, that most draft experts look at. I didn't like Booker coming out because of his short wingspan. Monk does have the same exact wingspan of Curry and the same kind of point production per minute that Curry and Durant had as freshman.

Monk does have a great ability to score against good competition. He did some amazing stuff at his age winning SEC POY. He might be that guy that just drops 25-30 every game from the start of his career, and opens the court for the rest of our players.

I do think the Magic probably take Isaac's though, because who knows maybe he could be a Giannis type player in the future. It's a tough call between players that could become stars, or a player that might already be a elite scorer.

Return to Orlando Magic