ImageImageImageImage

Deal with Philly

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Mike1989
Sophomore
And1: 75

Re: Deal with Philly 

Post#121 » by Mike1989 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:22 pm

magicfan217 wrote:Monk is a great athlete....people who think he is just a shooter will be surprised at this athletic ability. Great athletes that are also great shooters seem to always be just fine in the NBA. If we pick Monk, I don't think we will regret it.

Agreed, I haven't seen a great deal of Monk but the bits I have seen I like. He is arguably the type of player we need to add to this team, someone that can shoot and is very athletic. My concern with him is that he's been labelled as a bit inconsistent and blows hot and cold, and as such, he could end up becoming more of a JR Smith/Lou Williams player than CJ McCollum like player. With that said, if the kid works hard and becomes more consistent then he could be an excellent addition.

With the players that are likely off the board at this point (i.e. Fultz, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, Fox), then I would likely favor Monk over the other players available at six.

Who would you compare Monk's floor and ceiling to?
T12
Junior
And1: 159

Post#122 » by T12 » Tue May 23, 2017 2:34 pm

That was my point. Monk will clearly have to show that he can be a 3 level offensive player in the NBA and get to the line otherwise he will end up being an athletic 3 and D guy....but looking at jackson, tatum etc.. they have significant things to prove as well...i dont see Monk having bigger question marks then Tatum, Jackson, Fox etc...
PhillySixers22
Junior
And1: 183

Post#123 » by PhillySixers22 » Tue May 23, 2017 10:34 pm

Xatticus wrote:
PhillySixers22 wrote:
T12 wrote:
Would you rather have Jimmy Butler or Steph Curry?

http://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/19397915/chad-ford-nba-mock-draft-50-first-round-picks-lakers-sixers-celtics-more-lottery-order-set

If only it were that simple. What makes you think Monk will be equivalent to Curry and Jackson to Butler? If we're doing pro comparisons I'd say CJ McCollum would be a solid high end projection for Monk. Monk doesn't have nearly the handles or shot of Curry, the GOAT shooter.

Not that I'm a proponent of the comp, but Curry didn't have Curry handles when he entered the league either. Comps serve a purpose, but they are never really appropriate for predicting a prospect's future.

Monk's shot is a weapon. His shot is consistent, his release is quick, and he gets terrific elevation on it. He has one skill that will definitely translate as a strength in the NBA. He is very active offensively. He is athletic, but I wouldn't call him explosive. He doesn't really venture out of his comfort zone and he filled a specific role with Kentucky, so what other skills he possesses remains to be seen. The list of players that he will be capable of defending seems limited and most of them are probably PGs. None of these criticisms are all that different from the criticisms of Curry when he was entering the NBA either. Curry has improved dramatically since his college days though.

I'm not sure how Jackson will fit in the NBA. Players with his skill set aren't generally that valuable these days. He was not young for a college freshman. He is a good athlete, but not a superior athlete at the NBA level. His other physical tools aren't exceptional. I expect he will carve out a role primarily as a wing defender, though his potential is limited by his ordinary length. I'm very skeptical about how his shot will translate, and I could easily see him becoming an offensive liability in the same way that Smart and Winslow are.

I hope there are better options available when we pick, but I can honestly buy an argument for either of Jackson or Monk over the other. Jackson is getting the love from the mock drafts right now, but I could definitely see why a lot of teams would have Monk higher on their own boards.

I don't disagree with much of what you said, I particularly agree about prospect comparisons and about Monks weapon being his shot. I think part of what we disagree about comes down to what we each value in players and our projections. I don't expect Monk to develop anywhere near Curry like handles, and while I agree about his shot I prefer Jackson's more well rounded as opposed to Monk's single strength.

Monk would be a great fit in Philly since we don't need a traditional point and that would allow him to guard point guards instead of 2s where he'll really struggle. Our roster also relieves him the burden of creating for himself and others and also hides his weakish finishing at the rim in halfcourt offense. If we were guaranteed Simmons and Embiid are healthy I would have no problem trading down for Monk's fit, but as is we still need to go with the highest potential prospect. Jackson's two way play, high end athleticism and motor/work ethic make him that prospect imo. I could be way off since the draft is such a crapshoot, but I expect Jackson to improve on his weaknesses and live up to his potential more than I do Monk.
mbn23
Pro Prospect
And1: 76

Post#124 » by mbn23 » Mon May 29, 2017 4:49 pm

Nemesis21 wrote:6 + Fournier for 3 + Covington + Henderson salaries match

Yea, I'd be ok with that. Fournier is a great player, but I don't feel that he's that game changer that Jackson could be. Getting stronger role players in Covington and Henderson would beneficial for the bench. This trade would probably also have to include one or more of our 2nd rd picks or the other 1st.
Just Sayin
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#125 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 29, 2017 5:26 pm

magicfan217 wrote:Monk is a great athlete....people who think he is just a shooter will be surprised at this athletic ability. Great athletes that are also great shooters seem to always be just fine in the NBA. If we pick Monk, I don't think we will regret it.

It is his complete lack of defense, size, length, point guard skills and decision making that have people worried about him... not his athleticism.

Those are enough red flags to forget about him at #6.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man
And1: 1,066

Post#126 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon May 29, 2017 6:29 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:

It is his complete lack of defense, size, length, point guard skills and decision making that have people worried about him... not his athleticism.

I want Monk if all that is left at 6 is Isaac. However, the one thing that worries me about Monk is his wingspan. Other than that I think Monk is exactly what we need, someone that can score.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#127 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:29 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

I want Monk if all that is left at 6 is Isaac. However, the one thing that worries me about Monk is his wingspan. Other than that I think Monk is exactly what we need, someone that can score.

Someone who can score is exactly what this team needs? Really? That's all?

What we need is a super star to build around. It's relatively unlikely we will find that with the sixth pick but we can at least make an attempt at it. Monk is the most likely to bust and least likely to be a star. Just say no.
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#128 » by OrlMagic05 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:39 pm

MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

What we need is a super star to build around. It's relatively unlikely we will find that with the sixth pick but we can at least make an attempt at it. Monk is the most likely to bust and least likely to be a star. Just say no.

I didn't say that was ALL we needed. The glaring problem on the team is that we have no one that we can give the ball to and score. Monk can be that guy. I don't want to take a chance on Isaac, if Tatum is there than I take him, even though he reminds me of a mix between Granger and Tobias which doesnt scream star either. I really like DSJ but his unwillingness to always compete scares me as well.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#129 » by MagicFan101 » Mon May 29, 2017 9:57 pm

OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

I didn't say that was ALL we needed. The glaring problem on the team is that we have no one that we can give the ball to and score. Monk can be that guy. I don't want to take a chance on Isaac, if Tatum is there than I take him, even though he reminds me of a mix between Granger and Tobias which doesnt scream star either. I really like DSJ but his unwillingness to always compete scares me as well.

Again, false.

The glaring problem is we lack a star. Guys who can score in buckets don't offer wins in this league; stars do.

Monk is a waste of a pick for Orlando. Let a team like Philly who might already have a star or even two take a chance on him. Monk can be a nice compliment to Simmons and Embiid. But he doesn't offer even the slimmest of chances of being anything close to what we need.
Knightro
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 24,316

Post#130 » by Knightro » Mon May 29, 2017 10:02 pm

I don't see any real reason to trade up to 3 from 6 unless the Sixers were willing to take on one of our big contracts without sending much money back.

The gap between the players available at 3 and at 6 isn't wide enough to give up valuable assets.

Maybe if the Sixers *really* love Fournier, Weltman/Hammond could punt him into their cap space and give the Magic more financial flexibility, but I get the sense a lot of people wouldn't love giving up Fournier for very little.
Hogified05
Rookie
And1: 498

Post#131 » by Hogified05 » Mon May 29, 2017 11:31 pm

It makes a lot of sense to me for both sides to trade. Orlando needs a scoring wing. Tatum should be there at 3. He would fit like a glove here. But if he does get picked I can't see Jackson being gone as well. He will take a little longer to develop I think but both would be great here even if I'd prefer Tatum.

76ers don't need one of these top young pgs IMO. Simmons should be running the show. They need a shooter and some veteran moxie to add to the young talent. I feel like Monk is a wonderful fit in 76ers. Feels like he would fit the JR Smith to LeBron for Simmons. Monk would spread the floor for Saric, Embiid and Simmons.

I think the Sixer are probably still trying to dump okafor, maybe I'm wrong. 3 and Okafor for Evaan, Vuc and 6. At least that is what I would offer.

Elf
Mario
Tatum or Jackson
AG
Okafor/ Biz

Time to throw Mario in there and let him sink or swim. If it doesn't look like it's working at all we have nice assets to dangle at the trade deadline.

76ers are dirty now

Simmons
Evan
Monk
Dario
Embiid/ Vuc

Still need to clean it up a bit but they would be on their way.
The hero Orlando deserves is out there somewhere, Dwight was not the one we needed. So we will hunt for him...
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#132 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue May 30, 2017 1:12 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

Again, false.

The glaring problem is we lack a star. Guys who can score in buckets don't offer wins in this league; stars do.

Monk is a waste of a pick for Orlando. Let a team like Philly who might already have a star or even two take a chance on him. Monk can be a nice compliment to Simmons and Embiid. But he doesn't offer even the slimmest of chances of being anything close to what we need.

If you have a guy that can put up 20+ ppg while being efficient, that makes him a star.

13 other teams didn't think booker was going to be a star and now he is lighting it up offensively.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#133 » by tiderulz » Tue May 30, 2017 1:39 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

Again, false.

If you have a guy that can put up 20+ ppg while being efficient, that makes him a star.

13 other teams didn't think booker was going to be a star and now he is lighting it up offensively.

not efficiently
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#134 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:32 am

tiderulz wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
Again, false.

not efficiently

Exactly. Everyone gets hyped about Booker's high scoring numbers but they don't look at how he is getting them. Booker is a nice offensive weapon to have and was great value where he was picked but even knowing what we know now, we wouldn't take him #6 in a draft like this one. No competitive team would give him the rediculous green light he has in Phoenix. Letting him shoot like that isn't helping them win. In fact, it it literally their entire tanking strategy!!
yoyojw17
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,091

Post#135 » by yoyojw17 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:39 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

not efficiently

Exactly. Everyone gets hyped about Booker's high scoring numbers but they don't look at how he is getting them. Booker is a nice offensive weapon to have and was great value where he was picked but even knowing what we know now, we wouldn't take him #6 in a draft like this one. No competitive team would give him the rediculous green light he has in Phoenix. Letting him shoot like that isn't helping them win. In fact, it it literally their entire tanking strategy!!

"Bu-bu-bu-but he averaged 27 points a game over the last 5 games of the season..... he's the truth..... well ignore thee fact that he needed 22 shots to do so.... but i digress..... he's the ish... screw Mario!"
OrlMagic05
Sixth Man

Post#136 » by OrlMagic05 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:41 am

MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
OrlMagic05 wrote:

not efficiently

You guys are acting like it's a sure fire that we are going to be able to draft a star at 6. You'd be dumb to pass on someone like booker at 6. Is booker efficient right now, no. But you can't teach 22ppg at 20 years old.
MagicFan101
RealGM

Post#137 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:57 am

OrlMagic05 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
not efficiently

You guys are acting like it's a sure fire that we are going to be able to draft a star at 6. You'd be dumb to pass on someone like booker at 6. Is booker efficient right now, no. But you can't teach 22ppg at 20 years old.

Umm...

Lesson #1) Jack up as many rediculous shots as you wish.

Lesson #2) Actually, that was basically it.

Seriously. Booker averaged the 14th most field goal attempts in the entire league and only Deangelo Russell shot a lower FG% of the top 50 shot attemptees.
gaspar
Suns Forum Stat Stuffer
And1: 5,479

Post#138 » by gaspar » Tue May 30, 2017 12:34 pm

yoyojw17 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:
tiderulz wrote:
not efficiently

"Bu-bu-bu-but he averaged 27 points a game over the last 5 games of the season..... he's the truth..... well ignore thee fact that he needed 22 shots to do so.... but i digress..... he's the ish... screw Mario!"

24.8 pts on .555 TS% over the last 44 games of the season, to be precise. That's incredible for a 20-year old player, playing as a #1 option on the youngest team in the league. Only Shaq and T-Mac averaged these kind of numbers for a full season in the Orlando Magic franchise history.
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,104

Post#139 » by tiderulz » Tue May 30, 2017 12:37 pm

gaspar wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

24.8 pts on .555 TS% over the last 44 games of the season, to be precise. That's incredible for a 20-year old player, playing as a #1 option on the youngest team in the league. Only Shaq and T-Mac averaged these kind of numbers for a full season in the Orlando Magic franchise history.

because winning teams generally dont give a player that young the ultimate green light that Booker had. because it doesnt generally lead to wins, which it didnt. and Orlando has heard many times, scoring a lot of points on a losing team doesnt mean a player is good. I'm not saying Booker isnt, but that is what we hear when Dipo or Fournier or Vuc or player X scored a lot for a season on a badly losing team.
OrlChamps2030
General Manager
And1: 4,159

Post#140 » by OrlChamps2030 » Tue May 30, 2017 12:44 pm

gaspar wrote:
yoyojw17 wrote:
MagicFan101 wrote:

It was a tale of two seasons for Booker, but I think most would agree he looked impressive as the season went on. I wouldn't expect posters on here to give him credit though, a lot of people were arguing that Mario Hezonja has a better future than Booker until the last few weeks of the season.

Return to Orlando Magic