ImageImageImageImage

Win now or rebuild?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MasterGMer
Veteran
And1: 578

Win now or rebuild? 

Post#1 » by MasterGMer » Tue May 30, 2017 1:42 am

What exactly is going to be the strategy next season? Will the new front office have the pressure to take this team to playoff?

rebuild by tanking or not anymore?

Thinking we could "win now", just like this past season?

Lots of unknown all perspective. Hope things get clarified after the draft.

Go Magic
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Re: Win now or rebuild? 

Post#2 » by Darth Magic » Tue May 30, 2017 2:08 am

MasterGMer wrote:What exactly is going to be the strategy next season? Will the new front office have the pressure to take this team to playoff?

rebuild by tanking or not anymore?

Thinking we could "win now", just like this past season?

Lots of unknown all perspective. Hope things get clarified after the draft.

Go Magic

This is my most pressing question. Which way do we go? We can go either way.
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#3 » by fendilim » Tue May 30, 2017 2:27 am

I don't see us re-building.

We brought in Weltman and Hammonds. Both whose team didn't really re-build and are now playoff teams.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,395

Post#4 » by SOUL » Tue May 30, 2017 2:35 am

fendilim wrote:I don't see us re-building.

We brought in Weltman and Hammonds. Both whose team didn't really re-build and are now playoff teams.

Weltman said the Raptors planned on blowing it up but it turned out that the team they had was playing like the team they wanted to build.

Hammond will do what Weltman wants. I don't think Hammond planned on being late lottery every year.
MagicFan101
RealGM
And1: 6,498

Post#5 » by MagicFan101 » Tue May 30, 2017 2:37 am

Do we have a star? No.

So unless we strike gold in the draft or make a huge trade we don't really have a choice.
Darth Magic
Veteran
And1: 701

Post#6 » by Darth Magic » Tue May 30, 2017 2:50 am

MagicFan101 wrote:Do we have a star? No.

So unless we strike gold in the draft or make a huge trade we don't really have a choice.

Interesting point
"Real Gs move in silence; like lasagna" Jeff Weltman
shadrock
Lead Assistant
And1: 3,515

Post#7 » by shadrock » Tue May 30, 2017 2:56 am

We wont tank but i also dont think we push all the chips in. We likely wont win much more than 30 games regardless.
fendilim
RealGM
And1: 5,008

Post#8 » by fendilim » Tue May 30, 2017 2:59 am

SOUL wrote:
fendilim wrote:I don't see us re-building.

Weltman said the Raptors planned on blowing it up but it turned out that the team they had was playing like the team they wanted to build.

Hammond will do what Weltman wants. I don't think Hammond planned on being late lottery every year.

Yes, but they were successful staying the course.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#9 » by NEM » Tue May 30, 2017 4:49 am

We won't be blatantly tanking, but I doubt we are in "win ow" mode considering our lack of talent. It'll be a rebuild on the fly I think and hopefully we win enough to keep fans interested, while featuring Isaac or DSJ.
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
JF5
RealGM
And1: 3,864

Post#10 » by JF5 » Tue May 30, 2017 5:51 am

Win now? With this roster? :lol: :lol: :lol:

This team doesn't even have the definitive building blocks/talent to build around right now.

This team has no other choice but to rebuild...
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,893

Post#11 » by drsd » Tue May 30, 2017 6:03 am

Winning to mediocrity can be done without core talent. But for that a team needs heart. The Magic need to play better to win games. Adding an All-star and a key rookie will do little to win games if this team does not play with desperation and passion.
Jameerthefear
Starter
And1: 1,716

Post#12 » by Jameerthefear » Tue May 30, 2017 6:42 am

We are so far away from the Cavs or Warriors. Can anyone even fathom the thought of us winning a playoff game against either of those teams? Like that's so unrealistic that I can't even imagine it. We need to do a slow rebuild. There are sadly only two teams that are seriously contenders right now.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#13 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 30, 2017 6:57 am

Win now would mean what ? 38 wins?
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Mike1989
Sophomore
And1: 75

Post#14 » by Mike1989 » Tue May 30, 2017 8:42 am

Win now? Doubtful with our roster under its current construction and stage of player development. Adding some talent via the draft might boost our talent base a bit, but it's unlikely to result in another dozen wins on its own.

The big boost could come via free agency. If we could get a difference maker maybe we could get in as the eighth seed, but we would need to be careful not to tie ourselves up so there's no room to get better and become a title contender.

For me, we need to prioritise the young players development and rebuild through the draft. Be patient and hopefully it turns out better this time. However, I suspect we could use our picks and try to find a difference maker in free agency (e.g. Like Charlotte did getting Al Jefferson) to try and compete while developing those young players. It's the same way both the Raptors and Bucks built their existing rosters, but to emulate them we will need to find a star which to date we haven't done, and without one the ceiling would be more limited than the Raptors and bucks current ceilings.
nymets1
Head Coach
And1: 1,353

Post#15 » by nymets1 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:16 am

I think we'll be better than the Pacers, hawks, Nets and Raptors if Lowry goes elsewhere. Right now we'll probably miss the playoffs but we'll be better than at least 4 eastern conference teams.
"Bodysurfing and always drive with the windows down"

"UCF 2017 only undefeated national champions"
tiderulz
RealGM
And1: 14,098

Post#16 » by tiderulz » Tue May 30, 2017 11:24 am

nymets1 wrote:I think we'll be better than the Pacers, hawks, Nets and Raptors if Lowry goes elsewhere. Right now we'll probably miss the playoffs but we'll be better than at least 4 eastern conference teams.

we are not going to be better than the Hawks or Raptors, and very doubtful we are better than the Pacers unless a major move is made.
pepe1991
RealGM
And1: 16,224

Post#17 » by pepe1991 » Tue May 30, 2017 11:44 am

nymets1 wrote:I think we'll be better than the Pacers, hawks, Nets and Raptors if Lowry goes elsewhere. Right now we'll probably miss the playoffs but we'll be better than at least 4 eastern conference teams.

it's way too early to know how will rosters look going into 17-18 season. We know for sure that Magic won't be better than : Cavs, Celtics ,Wizards and Bucks.

Others are all there in the mix.
Life is what happens when you're busy making other plans. -John Lennon
Furinkazan
General Manager
And1: 3,533

Post#18 » by Furinkazan » Tue May 30, 2017 12:20 pm

we lack of clear direction
On the one hand we ve got win now type of a coach in Vogel win now type of management...and owner...
on the other hand we dont have tools to win anything... we dont have a signle star or a player with star potential...
so the only answer is medicority or even a bit below that...not good enough for the playoffs not bad enough to get top picks...
we ve seen it last few years and I dont belive anything has changed unless some player will magically break out
MagicMatic
RealGM
And1: 12,830

Post#19 » by MagicMatic » Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm

Rebuild until we acquire talent.
MartinsIzAfraud
Lead Assistant
And1: 4,100

Post#20 » by MartinsIzAfraud » Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 pm

My hope is that after the draft we have a path that us as fans can see. I want to see some difficult decisions being made in terms of who stays and who goes. If we draft 3 players stash 1 overseas or all 4 and do nothing in FA it will be extremely disappointing as this team needs a wake up call and some diva attitudes have to go or be corrected.
A scoring guard.. never heard of one. :roll:

Return to Orlando Magic