ImageImageImageImage

OT- Why the NBA is becoming an Air Ball

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

thefranchise2k5
Senior
And1: 0

OT- Why the NBA is becoming an Air Ball 

Post#1 » by thefranchise2k5 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:02 am

While the NBA enjoyed its "heyday" in the 1980's with superstars like Magic Johnson, Larry Bird, Julius Erving, and Isiah Thomas, the league is starting to become as enjoyable as watching Ben Wallace shoot a free throw. What has led to the demise of the game? I will list the top 5 reasons why the NBA is becoming a Ben Wallace free throw...

5.Too Many Teams! There are way too many teams in the league these days...30 to be exact. With only 16 teams making it to the playoffs, that leaves 14 teams that won't be playing in the post-season. Out of those 14 teams, half of them don't even deserve to be in the NBA, let alone to play against a JV high school basketball team. Last year, the Memphis Grizzlies were 45 games back of the Western Conference leading San Antonio Spurs... 45 games. That's more than half the total amount of games played in the season. Granted, they did tank the last month of the season in order to try to get the 1st pick in this past year's NBA draft. The NBA draft lottery works by giving the teams with the worst records the best chance of landing the first pick in the NBA draft, which encourages teams to purposely lose. Come the last month of the season, a good amount of teams are in competition to secure the worst record. What happened to the integrity of the game?

4.Relocation The Los Angeles Lakers, the New Orleans Hornets, the Memphis Grizzlies, the Utah Jazz. What do they all have in common? The team names have nothing to do with the cities that they are located in. Do you know why? BECAUSE THEY USED TO BE LOCATED IN DIFFERENT CITIES. Doesn't the Minneapolis Lakers, the Charlotte Hornets, the Vancouver Grizzlies, and the New Orleans Jazz make more sense? Franchise relocation hurts the NBA, not only with funny team names, but because it demonstrates that the NBA is ran by money hungry businessmen who care nothing about the fans beside the revenue they bring in. The Seattle Supersonics could very well become the latest example of franchise relocation with their owner threatening to move them to Oklahoma City. The city of Seattle has embraced the Supersonics for over 35 years, longer than most marriages!

3.Tim Donaghy Ever since the news of former NBA referee Tim Donaghy betting on NBA games that he officiated in came to light, the NBA is no longer as enjoyable nor as pure as it once was. Now whenever an official makes a questionable call, it makes you wonder what his motives were to make the call.

2.The Officiating This goes beyond the Tim Donaghy situation. The officials have been getting progressively worse the past few years. With all the ticky-tack fouls called recently, the games never gain any fluidity. Also, the officials give superstar treatment to certain players. It's impossible to guard certain superstar players because the officials will call a foul on their opponent for practically breathing on them. Now, in the same situation with an unproven player on offense, the officials will swallow their whistle and let the opponent play aggressive defense. All I want from the officials is consistency... and lately that has been a big problem. A big part of basketball is adjusting as the game is played. For example, if you know that the officials are calling a lot of fouls, you probably won't play quite as aggressive defense. If you were fouled the next time you took a shot and the officials didn't call it you would be very frustrated because the officials are being very inconsistent and are calling the game differently on both ends of the court. This can prevent a player from ever adjusting in a game and making it a guessing game of what you can and can't do.

1.Flopping I could have put this under the officiating, but I believe this deserves its own section. Flopping has become the biggest problem facing the NBA game today. Flopping occurs when a player tries to win an academy award by faking the extent at which the opposing player either bumps or runs into them. There is a certain amount of contact that should be allowed between the players without calling a foul and usually flops happen after this type of contact. The rules need to be changed in order to punish the player taking the flop instead of rewarding them and until this happens, the NBA game is being diminished as players are trying harder to win an academy award than trying to play good defense.
McGrady2Head
Rookie

Post#2 » by McGrady2Head » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:52 am

i agree with to many teams. some players in this league are AWFUL and i cant stand watching them. and some teams are terrible. id like them to cut away about 8-10 teams, which would eliminate the worst 150 players in the league, then the remaining teams could stockpile the talent where every game and every team is loaded with good players.
Hairy Midget
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#3 » by Hairy Midget » Sat Jan 5, 2008 5:59 am

McGrady2Head wrote:i agree with to many teams. some players in this league are AWFUL and i cant stand watching them. and some teams are terrible. id like them to cut away about 8-10 teams, which would eliminate the worst 150 players in the league, then the remaining teams could stockpile the talent where every game and every team is loaded with good players.

That's too many. I say get rid of maybe 2 or 3.

Bobcats, Bucks, and maybe one other.
Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#4 » by Duradero » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:50 am

Well, LA's got 2 teams ffs...
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#5 » by Dwightmare » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:43 pm

Bobcats just got a brand new Arena, seen the magic play there, and it is very nice. They also have an up and coming team so I dont see them going anywhere. I say disband the Raptors, keep it an American League, and send the magic Bosh.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#6 » by lovehoops01 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:46 pm

dwightmeer wrote:Bobcats just got a brand new Arena, seen the magic play there, and it is very nice. They also have an up and coming team so I dont see them going anywhere. I say disband the Raptors, keep it an American League, and send the magic Bosh.

Quick.,,lock this thread before Raptors fans see it.
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#7 » by Dwightmare » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:49 pm

hahaha, i was jk
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#8 » by aleZ » Sat Jan 5, 2008 12:53 pm

Just 2 main problems in my opinion:

Too many Teams and Bad Officiating

20 is the sweet spot for any sport, 30 is just too many, nobody keeps track of everything that's going on in this league, plus nearly half the teams are complete trash, being there just as sparring partners for the top dogs.

On the refs there's already a whole thread by yours truly, I might add that giving out Ts for flopping would help limit the issue.

Man, we need a General NBA sticky so bad :nod:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#9 » by craig01 » Sat Jan 5, 2008 1:41 pm

Bad officiating IS one of the characteristics of the NBA.

Unfortunate, but true.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Pedro Pistolas
Banned User
And1: 2

Post#10 » by Pedro Pistolas » Sat Jan 5, 2008 2:42 pm

Umm IDK about disbanding any team because everyone is on an equal playing field IMO. Any team that hits on all cylinders every night can beat any team in this league. Only team that I can see being kicked out is the T'Wolves and maybe the Knicks( fans will kill Dopelan and destroy MSG). The Hornets used to be really bad until they got Chris Paul. So why cant the T'Wolves get good through the draft? It is possible.
realfung
Assistant Coach
And1: 44

Post#11 » by realfung » Sat Jan 5, 2008 6:03 pm

its all good....take it easy
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,407

Post#12 » by UCFJayBird » Sat Jan 5, 2008 7:20 pm

Too many teams? I disagree. You act like 14 teams not making the playoffs is a bad thing, as if a higher percentage of teams SHOULD make the playoffs, which would just be ridiculous. More than half the teams make the playoffs, is there any other major sport that has this happen? The only one I can think of is hockey, but i don't know if that's right or not (not a hockey fan). In football you've got 8 teams, in the NFL it's 12.

Also the more teams the more parody in the game IMO. Everyone in the NBA is on an equal playing field. You act like these teams should be kicked out cause they're playing badly. Minnesota? Do you forget that a few years ago Minnesota was in the WCF? Remember how Dallas was the laughing stock of the league not too long ago? How bout them Bulls? After dominating in the 90s, they sucked royal ass until the last few years. How about we just get rid of all the teams that haven't won a championship? There goes 14 teams right there. But I bet you'd hate that, cause there go the Magic.

There may be too many teams for your liking, just because it waters down the talent for each team. But how would you suggest rectifying this? Gonna kick some teams out? What's the criteria? You can't just go backwards and kick out a bunch of teams. Maybe the NBA should never have gotten this big, but no use griping about it.

I will agree that officiating is the biggest problem in the NBA, whether it's superstar treatment or flopping. It's just all bad. But it's not all their fault, the NBA has impimented several rule changes over the years that they're instructed to follow that benefit offensive players.

I'll say this though, I think one of the biggest problem the NBA has is that so many players come to the NBA early. The fanbases of these players from college aren't nearly as big as they once were, as they consistently come out early. Players used to play 3-4 years in college before coming out, now the superstars in college play 1 season, and that's only cause they HAVE to. They don't build up fanbases in college and people don't tune in and excited to watch them in the future, because they haven't seen them grown and become a fan.
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer

Re: OT- Why the NBA is becoming an Air Ball 

Post#13 » by Diehardmagicfan » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:21 pm

Don t thnk so
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Re: OT- Why the NBA is becoming an Air Ball 

Post#14 » by TheGlyde » Thu Nov 20, 2008 10:42 pm

Diehardmagicfan Check your PM's.

Gravedig and bump threads with useless post padding again and you'll see a holiday.
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube

Return to Orlando Magic