ImageImageImageImage

Denton: Orlando Magic will face tough decisions in offseason

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#21 » by Dwightmare » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:47 am

playjredz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

meh.. Battie coming back will help us at backup center but if Gortat keeps coming along we won't really need one of those. I don't see how he fits into the starting lineup and we already have Cook for backup PF. If I were Otis I would probably look to trade him this summer.

Because Battie is much more important back up PF than Cook....

Provides something that we are desperately missing....REBOUNDING and POST D.

Cook gives us another frontcourt 3 point shooter, which is nice to have, but not what we need right now.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#22 » by EasternMagic » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:26 am

magicfan4life05 wrote:gortat>>>darko

the understatement of the year
MagiChamps
Junior
And1: 1

Post#23 » by MagiChamps » Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:27 am

dwightmeer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Because Battie is much more important back up PF than Cook....

Provides something that we are desperately missing....REBOUNDING and POST D.

Cook gives us another frontcourt 3 point shooter, which is nice to have, but not what we need right now.

Maybe it's not what we need but it's what SVG wants. I don't think there is any way that he will play Dwight and Battie at the same time, and with Dwight and Rashard's big minutes that won't leave much time for Battie. IMO Battie's post defense isn't even as good as Rashard's anyways, he got killed in the Pistons series last year.
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#24 » by Dwightmare » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:13 am

playjredz wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Maybe it's not what we need but it's what SVG wants. I don't think there is any way that he will play Dwight and Battie at the same time, and with Dwight and Rashard's big minutes that won't leave much time for Battie. IMO Battie's post defense isn't even as good as Rashard's anyways, he got killed in the Pistons series last year.

I strongly disagree. D12 and Battie combo is proven to be effective and there are plently of matchups along the course of the season that will warrant this combo. Im still all for starting Shard at the 4, but Battie WILL be the first big off the bench next season. Something I am thankful for because we have missed this kind of a presence all season long.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#25 » by SS_MagicMark » Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:18 am

spinedoc wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I know we don't have a second, but they are pretty easy to get, especially in the second half of the round. Kaun was a four year player at Kansas and is a pretty smart player. We could do better I suppose but we could also do worse. There are others that I like too, Louisville has a couple decent big men for example, Caracter would be very nice. Either way we need a new Auggie.

Having watched Derrick Caracter for two years at UofL, I don't really want him here. There's talent there, but the negatives outweigh the positives.
MagiChamps
Junior

Post#26 » by MagiChamps » Sat Apr 26, 2008 4:07 am

dwightmeer wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

I strongly disagree. D12 and Battie combo is proven to be effective and there are plently of matchups along the course of the season that will warrant this combo. Im still all for starting Shard at the 4, but Battie WILL be the first big off the bench next season. Something I am thankful for because we have missed this kind of a presence all season long.

We'll see.
inmate347
Senior
And1: 42

Post#27 » by inmate347 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:22 am

I will at least be satisfied with this offseason if the Magic do just one thing, not resign arroyo. Sure it would be great to address some of this team's weaknesses through the draft and free agency, but getting rid of arroyo alone is addition by subtraction.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#28 » by N4U|Redux » Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:40 am

Not resigning Arroyo is a key need.

Losing him will make us much better.

Sucks too because I liked him in Utah, I'm seeing why Sloan gave up on him.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#29 » by spinedoc » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:25 am

SS_MagicMark wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Having watched Derrick Caracter for two years at UofL, I don't really want him here. There's talent there, but the negatives outweigh the positives.

Yeah? He looked good in the tourny to me Mark. Well, there are others that would do then.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,229

Post#30 » by eyriq » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:02 pm

Letting Arroyo go comes with risks though. Dooling is not really a point guard and so with him in the mix we need a third point to be able to come in and produce. Arroyo is worth his 4 mil just for that reason. If he'll re sign for that I would not be upset, unless, like the spinedoc says, we are able to get Collision in the draft.

As for Battie being our MLE addition next year, if Otis pulls that stunt than he really is a douche bag.
cedric76
RealGM
And1: 3,184

Post#31 » by cedric76 » Sat Apr 26, 2008 12:51 pm

with pietrus out the picture and not many SG FA ,i think we should do our best to resign evans
Draft Carter
Sign monk
Trade Cole for a forward
Let chuma+fultz go
Offer goga a 1+1 deal

unleash Jett next seaon

Go Magic
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#32 » by NEM » Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:56 pm

he has definitely come a long way and will be a good back up...better than foyle for sure...there will always be a need for big men and he will be a very serviceable one. he is in the rotation right now and i dont think he's getting out of it...and you see that he's the one always jumping off the bench to congratulate the team during a timeout, you can't help but love the heart of this dude
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
OMPunk
Lead Assistant
And1: 9

Post#33 » by OMPunk » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:22 pm

RawLewD12 wrote:he has definitely come a long way and will be a good back up...better than foyle for sure...there will always be a need for big men and he will be a very serviceable one. he is in the rotation right now and i dont think he's getting out of it...and you see that he's the one always jumping off the bench to congratulate the team during a timeout, you can't help but love the heart of this dude

Gortat will be very helpful defensively in the event we advance to play teams like Detroit and Boston. He's long and quick and will cause fits for people like Sheed and KG.
Random Laker Fan wrote:Glad to have Dwight on my team but dude is a fraud and a clown at the same time. He's like one of those guys that makes up stories to get a reaction from people who he thinks cares.
ubernathan
Veteran
And1: 548

Post#34 » by ubernathan » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:28 pm

Orlando doesn't much need to worry about free agency. All of the guys leaving are easily replaceable, no need to overpay any of them to keep them around.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,229

Post#35 » by eyriq » Sat Apr 26, 2008 11:47 pm

ubernathan wrote:Orlando doesn't much need to worry about free agency. All of the guys leaving are easily replaceable, no need to overpay any of them to keep them around.

Amen.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#36 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Sun Apr 27, 2008 12:18 am

What are these "tough decision" that the team faces in the offseason?

In my opinion, keeping Mo Evans is a must. I love his hustle and outside shot, plus he's pretty good around the basket. Keyon and Arroyo become expendable if we can add a quality PG, and Garrity and Augustine are gone.

We should try trading JJ. He just wont get any burn and I'm not sure how good he'll be even with PT.

Not sure how things will work with Battie and Gortat though.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#37 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:02 am

If neither Dooling nor Arroyo return, then the Magic need a combo guard and a second point guard. Jameer is going to miss time during the season. You need a second point guard and someone who can back up either Jameer or his backup when one of them is out. If Dooling returns, then they need a second point guard.

Shooting guard also depends upon if Bogans opts out and/or Evans leaves in free agency.

Unless they think that Gortat is capable of playing significant minutes, it wouldn't hurt to have another young, athletic big.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,904

Post#38 » by drsd » Mon Apr 28, 2008 8:07 am

N4U|Redux wrote:Not resigning Arroyo is a key need.

Losing him will make us much better.

Sucks too because I liked him in Utah, I'm seeing why Sloan gave up on him.

Arroyo's Cap hold is a staggering US$8 million. FOr that reason alone, he will be released.
pikimagic
Analyst
And1: 2

Post#39 » by pikimagic » Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:41 am

Howard Mass wrote:If I was Otis Smith, I might consider dealing Vazquez's rights and having Gorcat as the young backup big on this team.
+1 :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Chorro e' locos!
Typhoon20
Sixth Man
And1: 4

Post#40 » by Typhoon20 » Mon Apr 28, 2008 11:16 am

I read somewhere that Vasquez is thinking about returning to the NBA next season, he wants to come back to the Magic.

lol, funny guy.

Return to Orlando Magic