ImageImageImageImage

Fran or no Fran?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#21 » by BassMaster » Wed May 7, 2008 7:32 pm

sportsrock37 wrote:cougar, you keep throwing 25-30 million number for the buyout. Where did you get that number? I haven't really read a source lately about the buyout. I believe you, so don't take it the wrong way. I'd just like to see a sourceThe largest I had ever heard was 8-10 mil from 2 years ago. I heard his contract was in the 20 millions, but the buyout obviously wouldn't be that much, because he's already played half of the contract. We would only have to pay 500,000, so if he wants to come over that badly to pay the 25-30 million I'm all for him coming. This is the same team that lowered Navarro's buyout, so if it can get close to 5 mil or under, I think we have a legit shot to get Fran over. It looks like he plays pretty good with consistent playing time and we could always use another big body in the mix. I'm all for him coming over(but I'm not getting my hopes up that he'll make an impact), just be another big body.

The last time I checked his buyout clause said he had to pay something like 16 million, the problem is that is Euro's not Dollars. Right now it takes 2 dollars to equal on Euro and it's not getting any better. Dollar is dropping like a rock against the Euro. The Magic can only pay 500 thousand towards that figure so that leaves the rest to Fran.
This information was on another forum from FL Today. Those idiots at FL Today decided that the setup for their forums needed to be changed and when they did that none of the information from the old forum made the switch and they lost about half of their members. That's why I ended up here instead.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#22 » by zuppafly » Wed May 7, 2008 11:58 pm

2 dollars to equal one euro? :lol:
The conversion is just a bit over 1.50. It's a huge difference.
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#23 » by Howard Mass » Thu May 8, 2008 12:58 am

The whole key here will be whether or not Fran's team will lower his buyout like they did for Navarro and by how much.

There is also a question of how much Vazquez is willing to pay and if the team really wants to shed his big salary.

It would be good to bring him over here as he is a good defensive player with big leaps as well as a good jumper.

Even if he does come over, the Magic will still need to get another big to get Dwight's back this summer.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#24 » by ORL » Thu May 8, 2008 3:59 am

IIRC, Nenad Krstic basically played first 2 seasons for the Nets for free because of the buyout he owed to Partizan Belgrade. Somehow, I don't see Fran making this big a sacrifice.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#25 » by drsd » Thu May 8, 2008 6:14 am

he Magic say that former lottery pick Fran Vazquez of Spain wants to play for the team next season, but the roadblock is the $7-million buy-out in Vazquez
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#26 » by BassMaster » Thu May 8, 2008 7:28 am

zuppafly wrote:2 dollars to equal one euro? :lol:
The conversion is just a bit over 1.50. It's a huge difference.

I just checked and the conversion is 1.97 so I was off by .03 so are you going to pay for fran to come here. No you won't because it's a waste of money.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#27 » by BassMaster » Thu May 8, 2008 7:32 am

drsd wrote:
he Magic say that former lottery pick Fran Vazquez of Spain wants to play for the team next season, but the roadblock is the $7-million buy-out in Vazquez
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#28 » by Devin 1L » Thu May 8, 2008 7:40 am

cougar13 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Brian of course forgot to mention that is in Euro's so you need to pay a lot more dollars then 7 million the conversion rate right now is for ever Euro you need 1.97 dollars. Now that's a hefty extra to payout.

Where you getting these numbers?

Google disagrees: 1EUR = 1.53USD

Just to double check: 1 EUR = 1.53336 USD (Another conversion site)

$30 million buyout? lol

(I've got an inside source that tells me it's actually $1 billion and one of Kasun's old girls.)
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#29 » by aleZ » Thu May 8, 2008 8:13 am

He's just an overpayed scrub, Barcelona's official site puts it the best way:

in his five years as a professional, Fran V
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#30 » by zuppafly » Thu May 8, 2008 12:35 pm

I just checked and the conversion is 1.97 so I was off by .03 so are you going to pay for fran to come here. No you won't because it's a waste of money.

No, just check again.
1 euro = 1.537 dollar
Get your facts straight. And give me a link to a good source to the Fran buyout being 30 millions, please.

edit: didn't realize devin got here first :P

Live rates at 2008.05.08 12:37:05 UTC
1.00 EUR

=

1.53179 USD

live rates are phun for geeks. :\
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,894

Post#31 » by eyriq » Thu May 8, 2008 2:20 pm

If we can bring Fran over I think that would be great. He is a talented big that can play both the 5 and the 4 spots. He could be groomed to re-place Battie when his contract is up in two years. The max we can pay is $500,000 so it is not like the Magic would be going out on a limb bringing over the guy they spent the 11th pick on. His current buyout is I think 7 mil, and if that is in dollars it actually decreases when switched over to euros, probably to the tune of 4.5 mil (I'm guessing here guys, don't mind my math.) If he takes the hit than consider me happy. This would also allow the Magic to forgo drafting a big and grab and swing man or a combo guard, of which I could think of a few that I'd really like to see.
frangs
Senior

Post#32 » by frangs » Thu May 8, 2008 3:03 pm

Hi, in this link you can watch all of his team highlights this season (Kasun included). He is number 17.
By the way, there is still 1 game left for the playoffs.

This season has not been good for Fran.
My feeling is that he has the potential but for different reasons (head case???? ) he hasnt showed what he did 3 years ago with Unicaja.

http://acbtv.acb.com/channel/18
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#33 » by eyriq » Thu May 8, 2008 3:26 pm

frangs wrote:Hi, in this link you can watch all of his team highlights this season (Kasun included). He is number 17.
By the way, there is still 1 game left for the playoffs.

This season has not been good for Fran.
My feeling is that he has the potential but for different reasons (head case???? ) he hasnt showed what he did 3 years ago with Unicaja.

http://acbtv.acb.com/channel/18

He looked good. I liked the way he ran the floor and how quick his foot speed is.
ORL
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#34 » by ORL » Thu May 8, 2008 3:48 pm

It's really a lot of the same as it was 3 years ago. Until now, I haven't seen any of him since 05, but what I do see is an athletic guy. Probably not a whole lot of skill there. It's generally true that a guy that doesn't produce in Europe won't produce in the NBA either, but I think we can live with that if we can get him to run back on defense and teach him where to go and what to do on that end.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#35 » by BassMaster » Thu May 8, 2008 4:13 pm

eyriq wrote:If we can bring Fran over I think that would be great. He is a talented big that can play both the 5 and the 4 spots. He could be groomed to re-place Battie when his contract is up in two years. The max we can pay is $500,000 so it is not like the Magic would be going out on a limb bringing over the guy they spent the 11th pick on. His current buyout is I think 7 mil, and if that is in dollars it actually decreases when switched over to euros, probably to the tune of 4.5 mil (I'm guessing here guys, don't mind my math.) If he takes the hit than consider me happy. This would also allow the Magic to forgo drafting a big and grab and swing man or a combo guard, of which I could think of a few that I'd really like to see.

Two things one this quote from another post showing his lack of production:
in his five years as a professional, Fran V
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#36 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu May 8, 2008 4:23 pm

Damm look at Fran and Kasun dominating lol. The only way that Fran plays here next season is if Barca gets fed up with his salary and they drop that ridiculous buyout. If he does come i will welcome him and give him a chance. It would be nice to actually have some backup bigs that are quick and athletic for a change.
aka: prorl
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,608

Post#37 » by Howard Mass » Thu May 8, 2008 4:38 pm

It would be great to get Fran over here.

He is not going to be a superstar but could be a good contributor and a nice player to put next to Dwight.

In the end, it will all be about how much his team will reduce his buyout and if Fran is willing to pay any of it himself.

Hopefully, the Magic will have an idea by the Draft as it is doubtful they would take another big if Fran is coming over and with Gortat in the fold.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#38 » by eyriq » Thu May 8, 2008 5:07 pm

The second thing is the dollar is worth less not more then the Euro so his current buyout would cost more. It's been all over the news about the Dollar sinking against all major currency's not going up. :crazy:

If the 7 mil is in dollars, then the actual buy out in euros would be less. That is my point.
theLUplayer
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#39 » by theLUplayer » Thu May 8, 2008 5:08 pm

I don't know how I feel about Fran. I have heard so many conflicting reports that its hard to believe he is going to be THAT good...But you can never have too many big bodies, so we shall see
GO MAGIC!!!!!
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,829

Post#40 » by Last Guardian » Thu May 8, 2008 6:06 pm

He is tall, long, athletic and runs the floor. He may or may not have a crappy IQ but he could probably play in our system either way.

Return to Orlando Magic