ImageImageImageImage

NBA: Pistons' 3-pointer shouldn't have counted

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#21 » by flyingvee » Wed May 7, 2008 2:11 am

Excellent points. The clock did not run and thus would NEVER reach zero, in order to implement the going to the tape review. In reality the clock ran out, so why didn't the refs look at it that way, saying time has expired and look if the shot was off in tiem on the replay? Why was the assumption made that time did not run out? If it was the Magic on the play I'm sure the 4.6 seconds would be 5.6 seconds to them.
Sweet J
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#22 » by Sweet J » Wed May 7, 2008 2:14 am

I can't believe the refs, i mean how can they estimate that the play had taken 4.6 seconds, 4.6 seconds exactly no more no less. That's a joke. And then to have the balls to give the magic 0.5 seconds to get a shot off. It was Rediculous :rofl:
PG K. Lowry, T. Lawson
SG G. Hill, E. Gordon
SF K. Thompson, O. Porter
PF L. Aldridge, T. Thompson
C A. Jefferson, J. Noah
UT T. Burke, R. Hood
BN A. Len, J. Meeks, C. Budinger
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#23 » by TheGlyde » Wed May 7, 2008 2:18 am

flyingvee wrote:Excellent points. The clock did not run and thus would NEVER reach zero, in order to implement the going to the tape review. In reality the clock ran out, so why didn't the refs look at it that way, saying time has expired and look if the shot was off in tiem on the replay? Why was the assumption made that time did not run out? If it was the Magic on the play I'm sure the 4.6 seconds would be 5.6 seconds to them.

Wow vee... you actually backed the team there... :beer:
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#24 » by OrlandoMagic » Wed May 7, 2008 2:25 am

CourtsideTV wrote:they should redo game 2....and have it played in orlando.....

I just perfer them to give us the win :lol:
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#25 » by SS_MagicMark » Wed May 7, 2008 2:25 am

The NBA put this rule in place after we got screwed on that Baron Davis buzzer-beater in the playoffs a few years ago, and now we get screwed by the non-application of the same rule. Only in Orlando.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#26 » by mhectorgato » Wed May 7, 2008 2:27 am

TheGlyde wrote:Wow vee... you actually backed the team there... :beer:

He does that every once in a while just to throw us off...
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
tlloyd34
Senior
And1: 6

Post#27 » by tlloyd34 » Wed May 7, 2008 2:32 am

I think they gave us the .5 seconds to even things out. If they had called the shot good and then given us no time, then they probably thought we would have been more pissed. Kinda like a makeup call. That's the only reason I can think of that they would think the shot took less than 5.1 seconds.

Just a thought...
Sweet J
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#28 » by Sweet J » Wed May 7, 2008 2:36 am

tlloyd34 wrote:I think they gave us the .5 seconds to even things out. If they had called the shot good and then given us no time, then they probably thought we would have been more pissed. Kinda like a makeup call. That's the only reason I can think of that they would think the shot took less than 5.1 seconds.

Just a thought...

Yeah fair enough, still made me pissed though :nonono:
PG K. Lowry, T. Lawson
SG G. Hill, E. Gordon
SF K. Thompson, O. Porter
PF L. Aldridge, T. Thompson
C A. Jefferson, J. Noah
UT T. Burke, R. Hood
BN A. Len, J. Meeks, C. Budinger
SevereMagic
Banned User
And1: 0

Post#29 » by SevereMagic » Wed May 7, 2008 2:41 am

heatwillbeback wrote:the problem is that the refs did nothing wrong

the rule states that the refs are not allowed to use outside sources, like a stop watch for example. And you try to figure out 5.1 from 5.7 by counting and estimating- its damn hard.

the rule is the problem. In these situations, they need to use the tape and compare it to an outside clock.

Did nothing wrong isn't true... How can't a ref see that the clock never started when the ball was put in play. It took 5.1 seconds, a block, and a three-point shot before one of the three blind mice noticed that the clock never started or malfunctioned. The timekeeper needs to put the pipe down next time. You'd think this would've been corrected by just denying the pistons the 3pts and go on to the 4th. But instead they guessed it went down in time. Way to go NBA, this is just another example of how lousy the officiating is in this league... the worst.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#30 » by Optimus_Steel » Wed May 7, 2008 2:43 am

Well what you know, the NBA protecting their refs and saying they did nothing wrong. The league will never admit that their refs screwed up how they handled that. Although it was not the refs who messed up with the clock, they did an sickening job of handling that. Yes the rule says that you cant review that because it didnt hit zero but the clock was never allowed to reach zero so that rule cant come into effect there, it didnt move at all after a second or so. Then the refs did a terrible job of "guessing" how much time went off. How can human being estimate tenths of a second by "discussion"? It was clear to just about everyone watching that game that the play came after the time that was available, when Stuckley passed up that ball it was over there, atleast it should have been. There are 3 refs, not one of them was looking at the clock? Isnt it their job to make sure a shot is attempted before time runs out? What were they doing? Taking a break? They were falling back on the "replay" most likely. The thing that was the most absurd was how they somehow came up with five tenths of a second. Its like they knew they were screwing up so they vainly attempted to "make it up to us". Sickening. The clock problem wasent the refs fault, but it was handled incredibly poorly. The refs were clueless and showed no common sense at all. If this was game 7 of a close game in the NBA finals and this happens, there would have been a revolt. Terrible.
aka: prorl
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#31 » by flyingvee » Wed May 7, 2008 3:10 am

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

He does that every once in a while just to throw us off...

Well thats where you have me wrong. I do back the team, I just don't back the bad player moves Otis makes. He should have known come playoff time we would not be able to match up with a team like the Pistons, yet he did nothing.

Back to the bad call, they should have just replayed the last 5.1 seconds. Afterall it was DETROITS equipment that malfunctioned. Why didn't the team lodge a protest? Afraid we'll piss off the refs and league?

It all comes down to how much heart this team has. If we can win our home games, then anything can happen in a game 7.
macdalejax
Senior

Post#32 » by macdalejax » Wed May 7, 2008 5:55 am

flyingvee wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

Well thats where you have me wrong. I do back the team, I just don't back the bad player moves Otis makes. He should have known come playoff time we would not be able to match up with a team like the Pistons, yet he did nothing.

Back to the bad call, they should have just replayed the last 5.1 seconds. Afterall it was DETROITS equipment that malfunctioned. Why didn't the team lodge a protest? Afraid we'll piss off the refs and league?

It all comes down to how much heart this team has. If we can win our home games, then anything can happen in a game 7.

SVG doesn't like people "B*tching" on this team. LOL
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#33 » by mhectorgato » Wed May 7, 2008 12:26 pm

flyingvee wrote:Well thats where you have me wrong. I do back the team, I just don't back the bad player moves Otis makes. He should have known come playoff time we would not be able to match up with a team like the Pistons, yet he did nothing.

What would it do? The NBA admitted that the shot shouldn't have counted. But they won't change anything.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#34 » by Cammo101 » Wed May 7, 2008 3:10 pm

The NBA, where squashing the little guy to earn more ratings happens.
SevereMagic
Banned User

Post#35 » by SevereMagic » Wed May 7, 2008 3:15 pm

Cammo101 wrote:The NBA, where squashing the little guy to earn more ratings happens.

messed up, but so true sometimes. wtf! LOL!
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#36 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed May 7, 2008 3:15 pm

SS_MagicMark wrote:The NBA put this rule in place after we got screwed on that Baron Davis buzzer-beater in the playoffs a few years ago, and now we get screwed by the non-application of the same rule. Only in Orlando.

Wait, weren't we helped on that play? I remember a shot by Baron Davis that SHOULD have counted, but the refs insisted it came late and the game went to overtime.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#37 » by Magicalltheway » Wed May 7, 2008 3:40 pm

If the game was in Orlando and we were playing a team like Indiana, the refs wouldnot have counted the basket. Lets face it. we played DETORIT IN DETROIT. Need I say much?
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#38 » by maginno » Wed May 7, 2008 3:51 pm

mhectorgato wrote:-
What would it do? The NBA admitted that the shot shouldn't have counted. But they won't change anything.

What do you want them to do? replay the game? I tell you what? Let them take off the three points. Uh-huh. We still lose.

Our two last turnovers cost us the game. If the league were to play over games because of human error we'd have a season that would outlast infinity (if such a thing were possible).
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#39 » by Cammo101 » Wed May 7, 2008 3:59 pm

maginno wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

What do you want them to do? replay the game? I tell you what? Let them take off the three points. Uh-huh. We still lose.

Our two last turnovers cost us the game. If the league were to play over games because of human error we'd have a season that would outlast infinity (if such a thing were possible).

We were down 2 with the ball with 12 seconds left. If that 3 weren't there that is a lead and the ball. All those points you are talking about came in foul mode.
Mr F 2u
Sophomore
And1: 3

Post#40 » by Mr F 2u » Wed May 7, 2008 4:56 pm

Cammo101 wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

We were down 2 with the ball with 12 seconds left. If that 3 weren't there that is a lead and the ball. All those points you are talking about came in foul mode.

Dont you just love how people forget about this. I dont know if we would have won the game but it would have at least given us a chance. The pistons didnt make another basket after the 7 minute mark in the 4th. all of their points came on free throws.
Also did you notice that there are no people from the pistion board posting on this thread. Denial is a wonderful thing

Return to Orlando Magic