ImageImageImageImage

Magic Sign Smith to Multi-Year Extension [Twardzik Too]

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Magic Sign Smith to Multi-Year Extension [Twardzik Too] 

Post#1 » by Rick Rolled » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:03 pm

June 2, 2008

Orlando, FL - Orlando Magic President Bob Vander Weide announced today that General Manager Otis Smith has signed a multi-year contract extension. Per team policy, terms of the deal are not disclosed.

eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,232

Post#2 » by eyriq » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:55 pm

Hmm, I already said I'd give him a overall C for his job with the Magic so far, but I guess it's best to lock him up before all the major moves start being made. I agree with the part about his vision, he has that and it is for that reason that I am glad he'll be sticking around. This summer will really tell the tale of whether having him stick around is a good thing. As for his partner in crime, he needs to really draft well or this is going to suck having him back.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#3 » by theTHIEF » Mon Jun 2, 2008 2:57 pm

good...it's the right move...and he deserves it...
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#4 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:01 pm

I dont have a problem with it. I just wonder if there is "Fran provision" in that contract lol.
aka: prorl
cmor42180
Senior
And1: 7

Post#5 » by cmor42180 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:03 pm

people please remember, he was not the official gm at the time of fran, he was co-gm and im pretty sure b.hill had a lot to do with fran, even though hill was just coach he had a lot of pull upstairs, i mean think about it, he was hired as a head coach when at best hes an assistant...
Howard+Nelson
Sixth Man
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Howard+Nelson » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:04 pm

he should be fired for what he gave rashard, our crappy draft picks under him, and I dont care if ariza is injured thoughout his career, I still dont like the trade for mo evens and cook.
magicdoc
Freshman
And1: 0

Post#7 » by magicdoc » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:18 pm

Otis is a nice guy- but this summer will prove whether the extension is worthwhile or not-

22nd pick- make it good as this draft is deep enough to get a viable player to fill our SG or forward needs
buying a second rounder
resigning? Evans, dooling?

letting carlos go and picking up free agents with whatever mid level exceptions we have- so this is where his worth as a GM will be judged
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#8 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:22 pm

The Magic like Otis who likes this team
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Malinhion
Banned User
And1: 3

Post#9 » by Malinhion » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:26 pm

My condolences to Magic fans everywhere.

Otis is going to waste Dwight's prime until he decides to bolt for a contender and make a Finals run. (see Minnesota)
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#10 » by theTHIEF » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:29 pm

no not really...but thanks for the back hand...
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect

Post#11 » by MagicFan149 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:40 pm

alot of people really need to check themselves.... the magic havent been good in a DECADE.... otis helped get them to where they are today.... good deal for the magic and otis...

so everybody else can now carry on about how much they hate otis and our division winning team
Summertime and the livin's easy....
OMagic1989
Pro Prospect

Post#12 » by OMagic1989 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:45 pm

Otis is a good move..now extending Twardzdick is very questionable.
Magic fan since Inaugural 89 season.
inmate347
Senior
And1: 42

Post#13 » by inmate347 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 3:50 pm

This is the second ill-advised contract extension the Magic have handed out in a year. It's just not very smart to make long-term investments in people that have yet to prove themselves and no amount of spin can change the fact that Otis is an unproven commodity.

I hope it works out for the best, but I fear the worst
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#14 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:17 pm

MagicFan149 wrote:alot of people really need to check themselves.... the magic havent been good in a DECADE.... otis helped get them to where they are today.... good deal for the magic and otis...

so everybody else can now carry on about how much they hate otis and our division winning team

The Magic won the division, 50+ games and a playoff series for the first time since 1996. Otis hasent been terrible, he was the one that pushed for Hedo, Jameer, Dwight. The Ariza trade was good for the Magic. I dont have a problem with the Otis extension.
mttingly2391
Sophomore

Post#15 » by mttingly2391 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:23 pm

Wow...I don't know what to say about this. Twardz is a moron. He has never done anything positive in his career in the NBA (I know that is a stretch, but c'mon, he is terrible).

Otis is not a good GM. This is definitely overkill, but let's recap what he has done. He blew the whole Darko deal. Whether it was resigning him, or trading our 1st round for him, or whatever. He overpaid Rashard big time. I love Rashard and I think he is a perfect fit for this team, but we could have had him at 60-70 instead of over 100 mil. Then we did a sign and trade just to add an extra year to the contract that wasn't necessary. Then there is Jameer's terrible contract and I still think Battie has a bad contract as well.

However, he is the GM and the Magic are winning. I still don't think he quite deserves a long term extension, but we will see. Like everyone else says, this is a crucial time for the team. Is Otis going to make the moves that lifts the Magic to the upper level of the league, or is he going to make more Otis moves and leave the Magic a mid-level team for year to come?
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#16 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:24 pm

Howard+Nelson wrote:he should be fired for what he gave rashard, our crappy draft picks under him, and I dont care if ariza is injured thoughout his career, I still dont like the trade for mo evens and cook.

So you'd rather have a player on the roster that was in a suit this past season and the entire next one, than having a starter for at least 1/2 of wins and a role player for another year?

As much as I try, I don't understand this logic -

1 non-producer <<<<<< 2 producing players this season.

Even if you figure that Evans can walk:
Cook's contribution's this season + next season >>>> Riza's contributions.

What plausible and realistic move would you have preferred then?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM

Post#17 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:32 pm

mhectorgato wrote:-= original quote snipped =-

So you'd rather have a player on the roster that was in a suit this past season and the entire next one, than having a starter for at least 1/2 of wins and a role player for another year?

As much as I try, I don't understand this logic -

1 non-producer <<<<<< 2 producing players this season.

Even if you figure that Evans can walk:
Cook's contribution's this season + next season >>>> Riza's contributions.

What plausible and realistic move would you have preferred then?

Exactly. I love Ariza but his spectacular dunks make people delusional. Evans was good for the Magic this year, he was def needed and Cook was ok when he was healthy.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#18 » by magicman123 » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:51 pm

not that big of a fan of otis, made more terrible moves then good ones, but we did win the division and made the 2nd round, lets just hope he figures out how to take us to the next level :pray:, cant complain when we are winning
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#19 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jun 2, 2008 4:59 pm

magicman123 wrote:not that big of a fan of otis, made more terrible moves then good ones, but we did win the division and made the 2nd round, lets just hope he figures out how to take us to the next level :pray:, cant complain when we are winning

Didn't stop many from doing so during the season.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant

Post#20 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Mon Jun 2, 2008 5:00 pm

Good signing. Otis has done a good job, but has people have said, this summer is very important.

Malinhion wrote:My condolences to Magic fans everywhere.

Otis is going to waste Dwight's prime until he decides to bolt for a contender and make a Finals run. (see Minnesota)

My condolences to your parents for giving birth to you. :(

Return to Orlando Magic