ImageImageImageImage

Official Magic Off Season Thread (update pg 1)

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What deal would you rather take for JJ Redick? And how likely would there be a deal?

SG Redick to Blazers for PF Ike Diogu
25%
Portland Accept?
17%
Portland Decline?
11%
F/C Battie & SG Redick to Nets for F/C Josh Boone and PF Stromile Swift
17%
New Jersey Accept?
6%
New Jersey Decline?
8%
SG Redick to Rockets for G Luthor Head & C Loren Woods
6%
Houston Accept?
2%
Houston Decline?
4%
SG Redick to Lakers for C/F Chris Mihm
6%

Total votes: 53

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,890

Re: Magic Offseason Targets Part Two 

Post#1 » by drsd » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:22 pm

Well, about 75% of the guys you list will be available at #22. So, only one of these can be BPA.
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#2 » by TheRevTy » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:56 pm

Man, Childress has one nice fro....
The Spaz
Senior
And1: 0

Post#3 » by The Spaz » Thu Jun 19, 2008 9:57 pm

Nice update man. We have so many options at SG/SF via the draft FA. I can't wait for it to start rolling. You could take Budinger off the list though he decided to pull out of the draft.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#4 » by Neon1 » Thu Jun 19, 2008 10:52 pm

thanks for the fix whichever mod did it (i didnt look) i'll try to get the new draft stock updated from work if i get a chance.
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#5 » by theTHIEF » Thu Jun 19, 2008 11:39 pm

Dorsey above all

Rush/Dorsey
Rush/Hendrix
Lee/Dorsey
Lee/Thompson
Lee/Speights
Lee/Lopez
Lee/Hendrix
CDR/Dorsey
CDR/Hendrix
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer
And1: 1

Post#6 » by Magic.City.23. » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:02 am

:-?

In all honesty, Do you guys really think Dorsey will be better than White?? I know Dorsey is a freak, but for some reason im not completely sold on him. I wont be mad if we take him, ill say that much, but I just think that White is going to be the better player. White grabbed more boards per game then Dorsey while scoring 3x as many points, hence all while playing in a better conference. Idk, we shall see i guess.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#7 » by damo[23] » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:04 am

Neon1 wrote:thanks for the fix whichever mod did it (i didnt look) i'll try to get the new draft stock updated from work if i get a chance.

Yeah had a mare trying to figure this new forum out lol - it runs a bit slow for me [strange since the internet loads to my PC before I even turn it on normally] :D

can you still edit it and what not.

btw the other threads will be sorted tommorrow - fresh starts now season officially over - should get more people into the dicussion aswell.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#8 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:05 am

it depends on what you regard you are asking...better offensive player? obviously, better defensively player? no way, better hustler? nope, better intangibles? possibly

but just a general will Dorsey be better than White? personally? yes...
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#9 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 20, 2008 12:17 am

Speights for me. His combination of athleticism, size, mid-range game and back to the basket makes him the most attractive option at PF IMO.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#10 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:41 am

i answered that question the wrong way (this is why i'm not an academix whizz). i took it as with the #22 pick who i'd be happiest with taking, so i listed CDR. but in all honesty, i'd be much mroe excited about any front court help we can get, because Dorsey/White/Hendrix are all exciting options to me. our front court is drab outside of Dwight (and the bright flashes from Gortat), and i just know that plugging the hole in the middle will do a lot to help our perimeter defense and fast break scoring. THAT gets me excited.

i can't pick between them because i've hardly seen any footage of them and can only go off draftexpress and comments on this board. Dorsey seems to get the nod for defensive intensity, but he's got no offense. and i've seen White has a sweet mid-range jump shot, plus the size and muscle to go get boards and blocks. Hendrix is a mix of those two but shorter than both.

so each has their pros that would definitely be a big help. and i'd be happy with each for now, but i generally put a lot of stock in theif's opinion (sorry to name names dude, i know cougar will be all over you for this), and his pick is Dorsey, so that's swaying me a bit.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#11 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:45 am

on a side note, just looking at the comparison, if we come away from this draft with Lee and Dorsey/White/Hendrix, does anyone else think Otis may be trying to follow in Detroit's lead from last season (Stuckey/Maxiell)??? or is it just a pure coincidence.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#12 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 20, 2008 1:53 am

personally myself I like any package with Lee + Dorsey/Hendrix/Speights/Lopez/Thompson, I feel that Lee being our 2 guard target gives us the most flexibility when selecting a big man, if Lee is in fact going to be an early 2nd rounder and we are able to acquire that pick than we can try and snag a guy like Speights or Thompson if available at the #22 and go after Lee with the 2nd rounder, or if we dont want to let Lee get away take him with the #22 and go after Dorsey/Hendrix or even Hickson/White with the 2nd rounder...Outside of Rush, Lee is probably my favorite selection right now in terms of guards, I like his game and I like that we can go after many different packages if we aim for him...

also, Maxiell was drafted in 2005 I believe, maybe 06, but I think 05...
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#13 » by Bensational » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:20 am

theTHIEF wrote:personally myself I like any package with Lee + Dorsey/Hendrix/Speights/Lopez/Thompson, I feel that Lee being our 2 guard target gives us the most flexibility when selecting a big man, if Lee is in fact going to be an early 2nd rounder and we are able to acquire that pick than we can try and snag a guy like Speights or Thompson if available at the #22 and go after Lee with the 2nd rounder, or if we dont want to let Lee get away take him with the #22 and go after Dorsey/Hendrix or even Hickson/White with the 2nd rounder...Outside of Rush, Lee is probably my favorite selection right now in terms of guards, I like his game and I like that we can go after many different packages if we aim for him...

also, Maxiell was drafted in 2005 I believe, maybe 06, but I think 05...

oops.... my bad.... still, the similarities are there... lol...

why can we go in different directions with Lee and not CDR? i don't get how that works.

as for Rush, i wonder what would have to happen for him to drop all the way to us? there's always a good player who slides for no real reason, i've got my fingers crossed it could be him, but Portland + Phoenix already seem to be keen on him.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#14 » by theTHIEF » Fri Jun 20, 2008 3:08 am

CDR is a consensus first round pick, Lee is kind of up in the air. If the prime target was Rush and at the #22 Rush if off the board, however Speights and or Thompson were still available, maybe they would go for one of them and then use the 2nd rounder to try and acquire Lee, depending upon the buzz on draft night...

with a guy like CDR or Rush if they are there at #22, you just have to pick them if they are your guys...With Lee you have that slight bit of flexibility/uncertainty...
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#15 » by damo[23] » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:38 am

Well for me; my favorite of the draft prospects for us is probably CDR - Rush if he was available, but my head is saying with the "talent" available in the FA for around the MLE - and we should be aiming to pick up one there - I am really thinking it might be the wiser choice to take on a PF in the draft - like Dorsey maybe?
drsd
RealGM

Post#16 » by drsd » Fri Jun 20, 2008 11:50 am

Not sure when I became a Memphis fan, but either Dorsey or Douglas Roberts would look prett good in Magic whites!

CDR looks to be a milk shake (or two) from having an NBA body. But that's what NBA trainers are for. This kid has 6th string star written all over him!

JD is an ox. A one acre a day sort of ox! If all this kid did was bang in the practice squad, he would earn his NBA-coin in spades! But does he not look a lot like a young Ben Wallace???

Memphis alumni have never looked better at #22!!!!!
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#17 » by OrlandoMagic » Fri Jun 20, 2008 2:48 pm

Me wishing = Magic pick Hickson with #22(pf), Trade and/or buy two 2nd rd draft picks. Pick Giddens(sg) and Dorsey(pf). FA sign Childress and Eduardo Najera

Line up

Nelson/Dooling
Childress/Bogans/Giddens
Lewis/Hedo/Dorsey
Eduardo/Cook/Hickson
Howard/Battie/Gortart
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#18 » by spinedoc » Fri Jun 20, 2008 5:44 pm

I went with Hibbert, but there were a couple names missing that I would like even more like McGee and Jordan. I'm definitely buying into the potential upside on those two, but they should probably be gone when we pick though. I'm starting to like Weaver a lot in the second if we go big in the first too. My latest realistic dream lineup would look like this:

pg-nelson,dooling,weaver
sg-pietrus,evans
sf-lewis,hedo
pf-battie,cook
c-dwight,hibbert,gortat

If we could resign Evans and Dooling and get rid of Bogans and JJ somehow with using the mle on Pietrus, that would be a very good offseason. Maybe we could even do a sign and trade for Pietrus with Bogans and JJ because GS is going to need a couple cheap contracts if they max out Monta, I don't know. I'd have Battie starting, but Hedo playing more minutes and finishing most games with Lewis sliding to the pf spot. Dooling and Weaver can also play some sg if need be, and the same goes for Pietrus and Evans playing some sf too.
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#19 » by Dwightmare » Fri Jun 20, 2008 6:15 pm

After hearing about Speights attitude issues, I had to change my vote to Lee. We are only a few pieces away from being a contender so no reason to mess with team-chemistry by drafting a headache or trading away major pieces like Jameer and Hedo.

This team is a great guard away from winning the championship. Rush would be a dream pick for me, but since he wont be there, Lee may be that "diamond in the rough" guard we need.
drsd
RealGM

Post#20 » by drsd » Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:59 am

dwightmeer wrote:After hearing about Speights attitude issues, I had to change my vote to Lee. We are only a few pieces away from being a contender so no reason to mess with team-chemistry by drafting a headache or trading away major pieces like Jameer and Hedo.

This team is a great guard away from winning the championship. Rush would be a dream pick for me, but since he wont be there, Lee may be that "diamond in the rough" guard we need.

Lee does look to be a Mr. Amway-type of guy. But at some point, the Magic need enforcers.

Return to Orlando Magic