ImageImageImageImage

ot: quick question

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

joshman
Banned User
And1: 0

ot: quick question 

Post#1 » by joshman » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:00 pm

i always wonder y they retire jersey numbers. i mean it is nice and shows respect towards the person but i was thinkin is the a easire way to do it then retire the number. wat im trying to say is that if they keep on retiring numbers in 50 years there will be no numbers left for players to wear?
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Re: ot: quick question 

Post#2 » by MagicHolland » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:08 pm

I actually like to know what team has the most retired numbers. Must be either the Lakers or the Celtics. But even then, how many would that be, 5? There will be enough numbers left. And I do think retiring numbers is the way to honor players.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,417

Post#3 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Jul 6, 2008 4:21 pm

very few players get their numbers retired. Retiring #s is restricted to the team, so for a team to be in real trouble in terms of #s, they'd have to retire about 85 #s.

Boston has 21, the next closest is Portland and New York with 9.

I don't think there will be any problems for a loooooooooong time. Not in our lifetimes. And even if there are, they could always start allowing 3 digit #s, lol.

edit: My #s are based of Feb of 2006 by the way. But I'm not sure if there's been a lot of retired #s since then. Maybe one or two.

http://www.insidehoops.com/nba-retired-numbers.shtml
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#4 » by damo[23] » Mon Jul 7, 2008 12:40 am

Some former players allow current players to buy their retired number - I believe when the the current player moves on the # goes back to being retired again.

I cant remember who's done this recently - but I am sure there was a Boston player last season? But its happened a couple of times in recent history.

So - even if the entire #1 to #99 were retired - I am sure there would be plenty willing to make some pocket money.

Return to Orlando Magic