ImageImageImageImage

Charlie Rosen: Dwight's "overall defense is weak"

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

christian72589
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Charlie Rosen: Dwight's "overall defense is weak" 

Post#21 » by christian72589 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:50 pm

I say TRADE for.... wait for it... BEN WALLACE!!!!!
Rccanes2311
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#22 » by Rccanes2311 » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:00 pm

This guy is funny Howard's 22 one of the best defensive centers in the league last year and I can't remember any centers really doing anything significant with Howard guarding them (Bosh doesn't count he ain't no center). I guess they should've just gotten anyone except Howard cause he's terrible at what he does. I don't even know why he's on the team. What do certain players have to do to earn some respect in this league I guess All NBA First Team isn't enough anymore.

I bet this guy praises Lebron who has no consistent jump shot, no post up game which is insane for some who's 6'8 260 and is known for not being a very strong defensive player. I mean you could make a case that Lebron's style of play is not good for the olympics and thats why he struggled the last 2 out of 3 years and why Melo always looks better than him. It's hard to be dominant when your not allowed to blatantly break the rules and the NBA's rule changes that basically let you walk to the rim untouched don't apply anymore. For any one trying to understand what I'm talking about of how the NBA's rules changes have completely changed the way the game is played watch this video I found on Youtube it's pretty good and shows exactly how dominant Jordan was and why he prob avg 60 a game in todays watered down NBA.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=du-C-TvHqzA
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#23 » by Cigamodnalro » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:40 pm

MitchellUK wrote:Maybe Rosen is just ignoring that Dwight surrenders a PER of only 13.3 against his opponents - compare that to Tim Duncan, who gives up 15.3, Marcus Camby who gives up 16.2. Both of those guys were selected to the first team All-Defensive ahead of Dwight (82games.com)

This is more testament to Dwight's ability to draw fouls than his defense. He's still an above average defender at the position, and has improved every year in the league though.
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,211

Post#24 » by eyriq » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:03 am

Just checking but isn't Defensive Rebounding part of the defense?
Bucs80
Analyst

Post#25 » by Bucs80 » Thu Jul 24, 2008 2:59 am

This Dude must be on crack

Without Dwight's defense. We would be dead last.

Teams are afraid to go into the paint because of that.
litex wrote:I'm pretty sure that, no matter what he does, Lebron will never have "tittles" like Shaquille O'Neal does, or for that matter, Chales Barkley.
PimpORL
Head Coach

Post#26 » by PimpORL » Thu Jul 24, 2008 3:09 am

That's ok, because Charlie Rosen's journalism is weak. That guy knows nothing about the NBA. If you've actually read one of his articles before, you'd know that charlie rosen watches 2 games every season and makes everything in his articles up. He can't even bother to look up players' ages because he even manages to get those wrong.
p0peye
Lead Assistant
And1: 2,988

Post#27 » by p0peye » Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:17 pm

Is this the same Charlie Rosen - guy who called David Robinson "an average defender and most overrated player of all time"?
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#28 » by richboy » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:23 pm

Dwight defense isn't weak at all. I am concerned not having Chandler on the team though. Skip Bayless said he like Chandler more than Dwight Howard. I think that is crazy. He did say Chandler plays hard all the time and Dwight takes time or even games off if he gets frustrated. That does concern me with the lack of size on this team.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,519

Post#29 » by SOUL » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:32 pm

no he doesnt, he gets frustrated but still.. people overblew that "Dwight takes games off" from the SVG benching and blew it out of proportion.

Return to Orlando Magic