ImageImageImageImage

Fran Vazquez' contract status for the Magic

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Fran Vazquez' contract status for the Magic 

Post#1 » by drsd » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:33 pm

A recent posting about non-signed draft picks lead me to look up the CBA. I found this:
Section 2. Rookie Contracts for Later-Signed First Round Picks.
Except as provided in Section 3 below, a First Round Pick who does not sign with the Team that holds his draft rights for any portion of the three (3) Seasons following the NBA Draft in which he was selected (and who did not play intercollegiate basketball during such period) may enter into either (a) a Rookie Scale Contract in accordance with Section 1 above, or (b) if the Team has Room in excess of the applicable first-year Rookie Scale Amount, a Contract covering no fewer than three (3) Seasons that provides for Salary plus Unlikely Bonuses in the first Salary Cap Year up to the amount of the Team’s Room and increases or decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses in subsequent Salary Cap Years in accordance with Article VII, Section 5(c)(1).

NBA CBA Link

My interpretation is that the Magic can now sign Fran as if he were a Free Agent. This means that next year Fran could probably be signed up to the MLE available to the Magic.

Any alternative interpretations?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Re: Fran Vazquez' contract status for the Magic 

Post#2 » by craig01 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:11 pm

Who is he?

:lol:
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
The Favero
Pro Prospect
And1: 0

Post#3 » by The Favero » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:11 pm

If said player is a scrub or has been p*ssy whipped by his girlfriend, team holding their rights has ability to publicly call this pick a complete waste of time.
Crazy homeless woman "do you see all this blood on my jacket?? all this blood on my jacket!!"
Big Baby politely responds "have a nice night, mam"
The Other Ankle
Junior
And1: 260

Post#4 » by The Other Ankle » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:16 pm

Well, here's my "recent posting" on the subject... I believe that Fran can only sign with us unless his rights are traded or recinded and that we could sign him using any part of the MLE if we chose to rather than rookie scale:

...they are citing a CBA provision that let's a team pay a first round draft pick MORE than rookie scale if it's been at least three years since he was drafting and they have cap room or exceptions to do so. That would give them the ability to pay him up to the MLE after two years in Europe and, like Rudy, it does seem that he WANTS to play in the NBA. So, knowin all this, they can probably encourage either a two-year Euro contract or a low buyout for the third year. http://www.realgm.com/boards/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=827446

Only if his camp (Corny) wants to force a trade would he likely become available, otherwise the Blazers will have put him on ice by being completely on top of the situation several years out. Wow. Interestingly, his cap hold will exist at rookie scale for the last pick of '07, even though they will be able to pay him much more. The hold will matter to the extent that they will be under the cap next year unless they get screwed over by a 10+ game comeback by Darius Miles.

Here's the language that let's a team pay a first round pick more than rookie scale after three years. This would also apply to Franny-boy and he's already qualified for it because of being drafted in '05. Unfortunately we're probably on the other end of the scale relative to the Blazers when gaging both his desire to come here and how good he is, even though we picked him at 10 (versus 30 for Koponen & 24 for Rudy who's already here sacrificing millions short-term). Not to mention our wonderful rapport with Fran's agent...

FGump wrote:
The rule being discussed says "Except as provided in Section 3 below, a First Round Pick who does not sign with the Team that holds his draft rights for any portion of the three (3) Seasons following the NBA Draft in which he was selected (and who did not play intercollegiate basketball during such period) may enter into either (a) a Rookie Scale Contract in accordance with Section 1 above, or (b) if the Team has Room in excess of the applicable first-year Rookie Scale Amount, a Contract covering no fewer than three (3) Seasons that provides for Salary plus Unlikely Bonuses in the first Salary Cap Year up to the amount of the Team’s Room and increases or decreases in Salary and Unlikely Bonuses in subsequent Salary Cap Years in accordance with Article VII, Section 5(c)(1)."

The CBA in its definitions says:

“Room” means the extent to which: (i) a Team’s then-current Team Salary is less than the Salary Cap; or (ii) a Team is entitled to use one of the Salary Cap Exceptions set forth in Article VII, Section 6(c), (d), (e) and (h) (Disabled Player, Bi-annual, Mid-Level Salary and Traded Player Exceptions).

The 3-year minimum means the BAE exceptions is excluded. Minimum Salary exception would be excluded both due to the amount as well as to the number of years needed.

That apparently leaves the MLE and Disabled Player exceptions as possibilities for this situation, along with cap room.

The Other Ankle
Ballboy (to d, apparently...)
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#5 » by mhectorgato » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:44 pm

Why would we want to pay him more than scale at this point?

He's not exactly set the league over there on fire ...

Does anyone know what his buyout is at this point and the next season?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#6 » by magicman123 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:03 pm

can he pay us the MLE? im sure he would still have money left over to by some skirts or some tube tops
DMannOC
Senior

Post#7 » by DMannOC » Mon Jul 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Vazquez makes me sad :(
Fran Vasquez
Rookie
And1: 95

Post#8 » by Fran Vasquez » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:30 pm

cheer up knight rider, at least i dont eat on the floor :)
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#9 » by theTHIEF » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:32 pm

I am thinking of reviving the Fran Vazquez Revolt...
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#10 » by magicfan4life05 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:36 pm

Fran Vasquez wrote:cheer up knight rider, at least i dont eat on the floor :)

^ i love this man

location is hilarious.......but hurtful :(
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#11 » by craig01 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:52 pm

Who is Fran?

:lol:
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by magicfanatic23 » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:29 pm

Who cares about Fran? He is terrible and it was the worst draft pick in franchise history. O well. Just forget about him and his girlfriend.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#13 » by SpaceCoastGator » Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:01 pm

We need to be talking up Fran as an big asset, so Memphis will take him as part of trade to get us JCritt. We all know how much team's value fan blogs in making deals.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#14 » by magicfanatic23 » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:25 am

SpaceCoastGator wrote:We need to be talking up Fran as an big asset, so Memphis will take him as part of trade to get us JCritt. We all know how much team's value fan blogs in making deals.

The LAST thing I would call Fran is a big asset. But yea the fan blogs sure are important lol.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#15 » by Dome » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:05 am

mhectorgato wrote:Why would we want to pay him more than scale at this point?

He's not exactly set the league over there on fire ...

Does anyone know what his buyout is at this point and the next season?

I agree.

Aside from the fact that he might not be worth that type of money; he screwed over this team once by using our interest in him through the draft as a bargaining chip to earn more money in Spain, I'm not so sure this team should break the bank for him now, even if he were worth it.

I can definitely understand Otis trying to sweettalk Fran into coming over and keeping things positive, but I definitely wouldn't have minded if Otis would've hypothetically just put up the finger and told him to buy his girlfriend some new skirts or something.

Thinking about that raises an interesting question. Would Frank have less, the same or more value throughout the league if Otis had told him to go .... himself right after the draft as opposed to Otis trying to sweettalk him to come over every year and failing every year as well?
chrbal
RealGM
And1: 1,651

Post#16 » by chrbal » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:06 pm

Fran basically has the option of signing his rookie deal with the Magic (or whatever team holds his rights, should the Magic trade him). Orlando also owns his rights for as long as they want to. The Kings still hold the rights to Dejan Boidroga (they took him something like a decade ago or so).

I say hold onto him as long as possible.
cdcastellon1
Senior

Post#17 » by cdcastellon1 » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:41 am

Replying one dude i must info Fran ends his contract with F.C. Barcelona next 1 june 09 ( thats only 10 months lol).

He will be 25 years old, still young, what Fran will do? I doubt he re sign with Barcelona cos he is not worth his actual salary. So...

Will Fran go to Orlando in 10 months? Or will Fran Fuc k again Orlando and sign with another european team? The history will end in only 10 months ;P
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#18 » by Potterman » Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:32 am

Limbo?
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#19 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Jul 31, 2008 12:30 pm

cdcastellon1 wrote:Replying one dude i must info Fran ends his contract with F.C. Barcelona next 1 june 09 ( thats only 10 months lol).

He will be 25 years old, still young, what Fran will do? I doubt he re sign with Barcelona cos he is not worth his actual salary. So...

Will Fran go to Orlando in 10 months? Or will Fran Fuc k again Orlando and sign with another european team? The history will end in only 10 months ;P

His wife will f*** Orlando again.

Return to Orlando Magic