ImageImageImageImage

New RealGM Article: Bosh to Orlando in 2010?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Swish14
Junior
And1: 0

New RealGM Article: Bosh to Orlando in 2010? 

Post#1 » by Swish14 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 8:50 pm

I just wrote this article yesterday. The title on the front page says 2012 but it should be fixed soon.

Link: http://magic.realgm.com/articles/66/200 ... o_in_2012/

Enjoy!

Also, great job on that last Magic article Howard Mass.

For those of you who haven't read it, check that out too: http://magic.realgm.com/articles/65/200 ... appenings/
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Re: New RealGM Article: Bosh to Orlando in 2010? 

Post#2 » by kookie_819 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 8:57 pm

Good article.

Of course, there's at best maybe 0% that Bosh actually comes here...

But wow, can you imagine Bosh and Dwight? :o
Swish14
Junior

Post#3 » by Swish14 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:14 pm

kookie_819 wrote:Good article.

Of course, there's at best maybe 0% that Bosh actually comes here...

But wow, can you imagine Bosh and Dwight? :o

Haha, yeah, it's not very likely but us Magic fans can dream. :lol:

Plus, the more articles written about it, the better. Maybe Bosh will see it (since he does visit RealGM) and it'll plant a seed in his head. haha
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#4 » by Gerhalt11 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:16 pm

Not to nitpick, but the headline of the actual article says 2012, not 2010.
Swish14
Junior

Post#5 » by Swish14 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:33 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:Not to nitpick, but the headline of the actual article says 2012, not 2010.

I know, I mentioned that in the first post of this thread. I've already emailed Christopher Reina and I'm just waiting for the typo to be fixed. :)
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#6 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:37 pm

Great article. Hey we can always dream of having a Bosh-Howard combo in our frontcourt. That would be unstoppable.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Post#7 » by Devin 1L » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:40 pm

Thing is, he may be able to get more money from Orlando than Random Team X, but he can get more money for Toronto than he can from Orlando.

Therefore, he'd have to take less money to outright sign with Orlando rather than Toronto (assuming of course, a max contract), or he would have to be part of a sign and trade.

I don't foresee Bosh commanding less than maximum money, therefore, any deal would have to be a sign-and-trade, and in that case, merely having capspace doesn't do it.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#8 » by magicfanatic23 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 9:47 pm

This is a big IF but IF we resign Hedo this offseason and the small ball lineup with him and Shard at the 4 doesn't work out in terms of winning at least the East or a championship, sign and trade him to Toronto.

I think a fair deal would be Hedo+2 1st rounders for Bosh. We would get our guy and not give up that much considering what we would get back. And they would get a good international player which they have always shown that they like those guys. If not then they may lose Bosh for nothing so getting a sign and trade wouldn't be terrible for them. That is a scenario that could happen but it is a long shot.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,892

Post#9 » by eyriq » Sun Aug 3, 2008 10:26 pm

Hedo/Lewis/Dwight is a front court trio that can compete for a title now, so it's not an issue of needing this to get over a hump. I really like our team as configured and think that while not the best (see Boston) we are 2cd best in the East and among the elite in the NBA. That being said, getting a front court of Lewis/Bosh/Howard is game over and instant dynasty, especially with a back court of Nelson/Pietrus with either Redick or Lee coming off the bench. That offense would be absolutely unstoppable and the rebounding and defense would be pretty dang good too.

Also, from reading the article it does sound like the Magic have a legit chance at making a run at him. Goodness, if it happens I'll have died and gone to heaven. Isn't that the year the new arena opens btw?
MagicFan32
RealGM
And1: 790

Post#10 » by MagicFan32 » Sun Aug 3, 2008 11:48 pm

Realgn would nook itself, for anything like this to happen we'd have to clear mass cap room.
aol4532 on bill russell
I think if you put McGee back then, he would get those blocks just as easily as Russell did. Russell's athleticism was well ahead of the players of his time, and that's about it.
KG1585
Head Coach
And1: 248

Post#11 » by KG1585 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:32 am

magicfanatic23 wrote:This is a big IF but IF we resign Hedo this offseason and the small ball lineup with him and Shard at the 4 doesn't work out in terms of winning at least the East or a championship, sign and trade him to Toronto.

I think a fair deal would be Hedo+2 1st rounders for Bosh. We would get our guy and not give up that much considering what we would get back. And they would get a good international player which they have always shown that they like those guys. If not then they may lose Bosh for nothing so getting a sign and trade wouldn't be terrible for them. That is a scenario that could happen but it is a long shot.

Hedo plus two firsts is a fair deal for Bosh? You have got to be joking. The only way you guys are gonna get Bosh is if Dwight comes the other way. Which is not going to happen, so keep dreaming.
Nothingface
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#12 » by Nothingface » Mon Aug 4, 2008 12:34 am

magicfanatic23 wrote:I think a fair deal would be Hedo+2 1st rounders for Bosh. We would get our guy and not give up that much considering what we would get back.

I like how you think it's a fair deal in the first sentence, and that you are getting more than you are giving in the second sentence.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#13 » by drsd » Mon Aug 4, 2008 6:08 am

If the Magic went after Bosh, they would have no money to fill out the bench, but when a team's starting five is: Nelson, Pietrus, Lewis, Bosh, Howard, how many bench minutes would said team need?

Also, lets say the Magic make the Eastern Finals, or more, in 2009, this adds to Bosh's interest. And could create a financial situation where the Magic would go over the luxury tax.

The new arena will also be a huge attraction for FAs. New locker rooms. New training facility. Etc. The arena's closer proximity to the down-town night clubs doesn't hurt either.

Still, I cannot see this happening. More likely might be Bosh playing in Miami. Or NY a or NY b. Or LA a or LA b.
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#14 » by Big A All Day » Mon Aug 4, 2008 6:18 am

lol, this article will have someones hopes for a year and a half just to get there hopes and dreams crushed lol... :lol:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#15 » by craig01 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 2:31 pm

Dream on.

LOL
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
N1QUE24
Banned User
And1: 288

Post#16 » by N1QUE24 » Mon Aug 4, 2008 7:17 pm

lol wat?
CreaM
Banned User
And1: 1,163

Post#17 » by CreaM » Mon Aug 4, 2008 10:30 pm

This is a big joke. The only time Bosh and Dwight will ever play together is on team USA and allstar games.
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#18 » by SpaceCoastGator » Mon Aug 4, 2008 11:33 pm

Highly unlikely, but not impossible. We would have to let Hedo go for nothing at the end of the season or for picks and contarct expirings (by end of '09) at the deadline...or maybe even at season's end let him go via S&T for picks and an expiring contracts. Plus not make any significant moves with FA's or extentions. Bosh then has to sign a less expensive 5 year deal with an opt out after three...(then get his max from the Magic)...he'd be 29...we have shown that we'll give big contracts to 29 year olds...it would be a risk for him...and we might slide back a bit in '09.

I saw the same thing...looking our contracts/salaries...it was 'tecnically possible' for the Magic to be a player in FA 2010...and my thought was that Bosh was more attainable player than LBJ or Wade.

I really do like our team now...but thinking about the possibilty of such things is a big part of the fun of these boards
KnightChris
Sophomore
And1: 10

Post#19 » by KnightChris » Tue Aug 5, 2008 12:08 am

Wait, I'm confused...
With Dwight Howard, Rashard Lewis, Jameer Nelson, Mickael Pietrus, and Courtney Lee being the only players locked up through the 2010-2011 season, the Magic could afford the big man.

Combined, Orlando's total committed salary sits at $49,990,263. Compare this to Boston's cap numbers last season ($78,019,509) and you can see that anything is possible. (Sorry KG, I had to.)

To get Bosh, you would have to either sign him outright or do a S&T.

First, could we sign him outright? Absolutely not. To sign another team's FA outright you have to be under the cap and STILL be under (or at) the cap after you pay the new guy (you can't go over the cap like with your own Bird free agents)

As the article says, we're committed to four players -- Howard, Lewis, Nelson, & Pietrus -- for a total of over $48.5 million, pick up the team option on Lee (which you may as well since it's cheap), and you're now at $50 million and you have 5 guys on your team.

The salary cap is projected to be $61 million in 2010, so you have $11 million left to fill 10 roster spots (remember, you need 15 players, not 12). If you want one of those 10 to be Bosh, great, but you still need 9 other guys.

Let's assume we get 9 of the youngest, most inexperienced guys we can find (less years in the league means we can pay them less since minimum salaries are based on service time). You're still looking at at least $800K per guy, or $7.2 million total. So now you can dazzle Chris Bosh with your amazing offer of $3.8 million. Oh yeah, you would also have probably the worst bench in the history of the NBA.

Could we do a S&T? Well, there's a slightly better chance of this since it would allow us to go over the salary cap, but I still feel it's unlikely. The Magic have shown they'll go over the cap, but they have YET to show they'll pay the luxury tax. The luxury tax threshold in 2010 will likely be around $73 million given trends the last few years.

With that in mind, it's theoretically possible to come up with enough dollars to sign Bosh, but you'd still have to employ the "sacrifice any kind of bench, for a great starting 5" approach I mentioned earlier. It sounds great in theory, but I doubt any GM would, in good conscience, employ it.

It also assumes that we would have anything of value to trade to Toronto (possible, depending on how the Hedo situation plays out), and that they would even be willing to deal with us (less likely). For those of you that say they'd do this just to avoid the risk of losing him for nothing, then remember the original Jay Marriotti article:
[Chris] Bosh will flee Toronto and look at Orlando and Western Conference teams.

You don't think Toronto would rather deal with a Western Conference team, as opposed to trading him to a conference rival?

Honestly, I've already overanalyzed this far more than necessary. The simple fact is, Otis would have to decide NOW that he was going to take this impossibly long-shot gamble so he could start employing the necessary "only sign scrubs to the minimum" strategy. We would have to go 2 seasons without making any moves that took on players or salaries via the draft, free agency, or trades, all for a TINY CHANCE that Bosh would agree to come here and that Toronto would be nice and help us make it happen. Any GM that would take that gamble should be fired and then institutionalized.

-Chris
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,074

Post#20 » by SOUL » Tue Aug 5, 2008 2:19 am

and so the raptor trolls come... mainly Nique!

Return to Orlando Magic