ImageImageImageImage

Dwight's Free Throw Shooting

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Re: Dwight's Free Throw Shooting 

Post#41 » by theTHIEF » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:12 pm

ability to automatically control speed/force, comprehensive conductivity if you will...or, the kid cant keep focused on his consistency dog...he aint honing in on a comfort sport naw im sayin...
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#42 » by mhectorgato » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:21 pm

theTHIEF wrote:ability to automatically control speed/force, comprehensive conductivity if you will...or, the kid cant keep focused on his consistency dog...he aint honing in on a comfort sport naw im sayin...

Gotcha ..

Does he need a routine ala Christie, Rip, etc ... ?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#43 » by theTHIEF » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:26 pm

idk, it's said that players with routines fair better, those players that refuse to tap with their teammates in between attempts, and do not move once set also statisically shoot better across the board. A Routine could be good for him, however I think that getting in a proper mental place should be prime focus...
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#44 » by mhectorgato » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:30 pm

theTHIEF wrote:idk, it's said that players with routines fair better, those players that refuse to tap with their teammates in between attempts, and do not move once set also statisically shoot better across the board. A Routine could be good for him, however I think that getting in a proper mental place should be prime focus...

I was thinking the routine would help him to get settled - mentally and physically. For example if the routine started with taking a deep breath to calm himself a bit before getting started.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#45 » by theTHIEF » Thu Aug 7, 2008 4:32 pm

possible, but he doesnt seem to be able to shake his surroundings, if a routine helps him with that, excellent...focus, focus & focus...
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#46 » by SOUL » Thu Aug 7, 2008 8:02 pm

I freaking love Dwight but his FT shooting drives me crazy.. I remember when he got intentionally fouled vs the Bobcats like 5 times and made ALL 10 shots.. then the next day he'll go 5-10
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#47 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Aug 8, 2008 12:53 am

Dwight needs to take up yoga or something.
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#48 » by magicmamma » Fri Aug 8, 2008 1:52 am

I have no doubt that Dwight works hard practicing his FTs, just as JJ has worked hard on his defense for 2 years. The problem is that Dwight needs to work on FTs the way JJ works on his shot, not on his defense. There's a level of practice that involves learning a skill and a level that involves perfecting that skill. A musician does the first level of practice learning the piece, but to give a good performance he has to go on to the level where he doesn't have to worry about missing a note and just plays. I suspect Dwight thinks of FTs as something he needs to "fix," not something he needs to perfect. That's a block in getting to the level of giving a good performance.

That's why the team needs a FT coach, not just for Dwight, but for our "good" FT shooters as well -- to get them to the level that a missed FT is just unthinkable. A coach's job is not just to teach technique, but to get the polish and confidence that makes the skill automatic.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#49 » by Last Guardian » Fri Aug 8, 2008 2:47 am

I have accepted his free throw woes. 60% isn't horrible for a guy his size and going to the line that often.

I won't accept his post game though. The guy spends all game trying to score around the basket and he never uses a pump fake to throw the defender off. I couldn't believe how Rasheed Wallace predicted his every move and Dwight still never tried a pump fake. Make the defender think/hesitate for a second and boom, freedom to put up a good shot.
grayson11
Bench Warmer
And1: 58

Post#50 » by grayson11 » Fri Aug 8, 2008 7:00 am

drsd wrote:
grayson11 wrote:
drsd wrote:

Even lower if you factor in teams fouling him less with the better FT%.

It is my opinion that the main advantage of Howard hitting FTs at a 70% clip is that defenses will need to play Howard more honestly. When that happens, the wings will really open up.

My mistake, I didn't specify. By lower, I meant that the point increase off of FTs would be lower for Dwight. The reason being that he would obviously be shooting less of them.

Maybe we should grab the Mavs shooting coach. Not sure if it's just them being a good bunch of FT shooters but they out-shot their opponents with numbers of 81.4% vs. 75% this past season.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#51 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Fri Aug 8, 2008 10:15 pm

Great points by both Magic Mamma and Solid Snake! Why on earth haven't we got a free throw coach? And Ewing was pretty proficient around the basket, yet I don't really see much in Dwight that resembles anything that I used to see from Ewing... IDK, maybe I'm wrong on the last one. I have seen a couple baby hooks, but Dwight definitely would like to see a bigger arsenal of post moves from him as well a better free throws.
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#52 » by richboy » Sat Aug 9, 2008 4:08 am

Dwight needs to improve his free throw shooting. I'm not really sure why he has become so bad. The added muscle I think has some to do with it. I think other factors are also at fault.

I'm fine with Dwight 90% of the time. I agree with Thief though. Sometimes he takes plays and even games off. IMO last year felt like he took much of the second half off. He not lazy and works as hard as any player in the league. Yet he isn't KG with game to game intensity. Maybe issues off the court took something away from Dwight last year.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Post#53 » by Duradero » Sat Aug 9, 2008 3:36 pm

The announcer/coach on tv for the game said that it was pretty much Dwight's guide-hand on the front of the ball that put a weird hitch on the shot. If he's hitting it in practice no-problem its obviously physical and/or mental fatigue
lapassione
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#54 » by lapassione » Sat Aug 9, 2008 11:12 pm

when a player spends lots of time in the gym and puts on a lot of muscles in a short time, their shooting takes the hit. Their shooting comfort goes away due to much different production from the legs and the arms.
I have a feeling, Dwight might be suffering that at the moment. It can settle in a year or so.
This happened to Hedo early in his NBA career. After his first two years in Sacramento, he worked on his muscles and got a lot stronger, but at the same time, he lost his range shooting. It took him a while to get used to the extra muscles.
theTHIEF
RealGM

Post#55 » by theTHIEF » Sun Aug 10, 2008 12:10 am

what...

Return to Orlando Magic