ImageImageImageImage

OT: Nine year old told he's too good, not allowed to play

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

OT: Nine year old told he's too good, not allowed to play 

Post#1 » by BassMaster » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:11 pm

I thought y'all might want to see this about a nine year old who is not being allowed to play anymore because he pitches too good.

NEW HAVEN, Conn. (AP) -- Nine-year-old Jericho Scott is a good baseball player -- too good, it turns out.

The right-hander has a fastball that tops out at about 40 mph. He throws so hard that the Youth Baseball League of New Haven told his coach that the boy could not pitch any more. When Jericho took the mound anyway last week, the opposing team forfeited the game, packed its gear and left, his coach said.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/b ... topstories
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Re: OT: Nine year old told he's too good, not allowed to play 

Post#2 » by damo[23] » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:25 pm

Not actually all that uncommon - well might be in the states.

I remember when I was playing football when I was younger [9 to 12] apart from the 3 kids that went to the same club as me I literally had to play with guys 2 or 3 years older than me.
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#3 » by Potterman » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:29 pm

There is a difference between playing with people older then you and having another team walk away from you. I mean what happened to good sportsmanship? To me it's not a crime but it makes me upset to hear.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
MagicNolesFSU
Analyst
And1: 3

Post#4 » by MagicNolesFSU » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:34 pm

wow. Just wow. Thast league should be ashamed.
Illuminati wrote:MagicNoles is a g. Don't bring beef and there ain't no beef.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:57 pm

If he's that dominant then he should play up.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Dwightmare
Sixth Man
And1: 24

Post#6 » by Dwightmare » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:07 am

I could see how a lot of parents of 9 year olds might be afraid of 40 mph fast balls flying at their kids heads.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#7 » by BassMaster » Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:48 am

dwightmeer wrote:I could see how a lot of parents of 9 year olds might be afraid of 40 mph fast balls flying at their kids heads.

Well he never hit another batter, but what gets me in this story was that if he had played for another team in this league he would be allowed to play without any questions asked. Read the entire story and you will see that the real story is a conflict of interest and it puts this little boy right in the middle being used a pawn by the powers that be in this league. Now they are the ones who should be banned from this league not this nine year old boy.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#8 » by SS_MagicMark » Tue Aug 26, 2008 1:54 pm

40 mph heat just sounds funny, age aside. Joel Zumaya could fart the ball faster than that.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#9 » by damo[23] » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:04 pm

rurouniad wrote:There is a difference between playing with people older then you and having another team walk away from you. I mean what happened to good sportsmanship? To me it's not a crime but it makes me upset to hear.

Not really that different if you think about it. We werent allowed to play with our years because it was a joke. Games that could have been like 1 - 0 without us were 12+ - 0 with us. Rather than a team walk away from us, we were ushered into other teams where we are playing with guys twice the size of us.

As I say, not that uncommon here. Few reasons probably for it, but yeah, especially when I grew up, we just had kids that had to be put into older teams for their own sakes, to help develop them rather than just let them walk over crappy competition and not get any better.

While I've never seen a team walk away b4 a game, I have been in games with teams forfieting on more than one occasion. I can appriciate 1 kid to do this, but I guess baseball is a sport where 1 position like a pitcher can just dominate.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,060

Post#10 » by Optimus_Steel » Tue Aug 26, 2008 2:20 pm

This is sad. The parents who complained and the managers of that league should go **** themselves.
aka: prorl
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#11 » by Potterman » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:05 pm

damo[23] wrote:
rurouniad wrote:There is a difference between playing with people older then you and having another team walk away from you. I mean what happened to good sportsmanship? To me it's not a crime but it makes me upset to hear.

Not really that different if you think about it. We werent allowed to play with our years because it was a joke. Games that could have been like 1 - 0 without us were 12+ - 0 with us. Rather than a team walk away from us, we were ushered into other teams where we are playing with guys twice the size of us.

As I say, not that uncommon here. Few reasons probably for it, but yeah, especially when I grew up, we just had kids that had to be put into older teams for their own sakes, to help develop them rather than just let them walk over crappy competition and not get any better.

While I've never seen a team walk away b4 a game, I have been in games with teams forfieting on more than one occasion. I can appriciate 1 kid to do this, but I guess baseball is a sport where 1 position like a pitcher can just dominate.

Yeah Baseball is a sport where the pitcher can dominate. But I find it hard to believe that a coach would forfiet an entire game for what? Because they would lose? Bad show.

Last time I was in a softball tourney. Our D league team went against a "low B" (as it was called) level team as our first game. We got slaughtered. But still played anyway. It's called sportsmanship.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#12 » by damo[23] » Tue Aug 26, 2008 4:51 pm

rurouniad wrote:Yeah Baseball is a sport where the pitcher can dominate. But I find it hard to believe that a coach would forfiet an entire game for what? Because they would lose? Bad show.

Last time I was in a softball tourney. Our D league team went against a "low B" (as it was called) level team as our first game. We got slaughtered. But still played anyway. It's called sportsmanship.

Oh yeah I am all for giving it a go. Always have been like that.

For the kid he needs competition, he isnt going to get any better throwing a little girls that buckle when they try and swing against his "monsterous" throw.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,273

Post#13 » by Bensational » Tue Aug 26, 2008 5:46 pm

if the kid's so phenomenal, he should play up. but he's a young kid, so he's probably happier playing with his friends, rather than playing for the competition.

the league shouldn't have any say in the matter though, because that would be like telling LBJ or Dwight that they can't play highschool ball (back when they were playing) because they made a mockery of the competition.

it's bad sportsmanship by the other teams for sure. i was the opposite to Damo. every team i played on had young guys joining us, because they were so much better than their competition and the rest of us were average/crap at best. and every other team always seemed to have that 6 foot monster that was dunking at 12, and that one player would own our entire team. but them's the breaks. you learn to deal with it. that's what sport's about.

this is why the Chinese wiped the USA all over the floor in the medal tally of the olympics this year. the USA has lost that winning feeling. woahhhh ohhh ohh... :D
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#14 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:53 pm

Like Cougar said... This is much more than that. It's a power play by this team that wanted the kid to jump ship to them. Because the other team knows the commisioner or somebody high up they black balled him... A 9 year old... Pathetic IMO.

Another example of domineering parents ruining a GAME for children.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#15 » by damo[23] » Tue Aug 26, 2008 6:54 pm

Could he just like, not pitch, and work on other parts of his game.

Its not like you can dominate by catching real hard.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#16 » by magicfanatic23 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:51 pm

I heard this on Mike and Mike this morning and this is completely ridiculous. The kid should be allowed to play. It's that simple. All this is about is that all the parents are freakin immature and want their kid not to strike out. Give me a break. This is a joke and the parents should not be ruining the game and not letting him play b/c he is better than their kids. Maybe that would actually make their kids try harder and want to be as good as him. This is insane and I hope this makes the kid work harder to show them that he really is too good for them. These parents are a**holes. Enough said.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#17 » by craig01 » Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:04 pm

When a player at that age is so far superior to his same age competition, the child should play up in this sport.

It does not do the kid nor his opponents any good if the kid strikes out or walks every batter.

We are talking about 9 year olds....and baseball.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#18 » by Horcy » Wed Aug 27, 2008 4:31 am

damo[23] wrote:Not actually all that uncommon - well might be in the states.

I remember when I was playing football when I was younger [9 to 12] apart from the 3 kids that went to the same club as me I literally had to play with guys 2 or 3 years older than me.

I have never seen something like that in my country damo. When I played futbol (soccer for you) and rugby at 14-15 years old I used to play with guys 1 or 2 years older in some tournaments. But i played with muy teammates too.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#19 » by damo[23] » Wed Aug 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Horcy wrote:
damo[23] wrote:Not actually all that uncommon - well might be in the states.

I have never seen something like that in my country damo. When I played futbol (soccer for you) and rugby at 14-15 years old I used to play with guys 1 or 2 years older in some tournaments. But i played with muy teammates too.

[I am talking about soccer aswell, but its not soccer, its football]
Its not so bad now what with more talent scouting even at school matches, and now there are alot of good level local teams in most area's in the country, so you dont need to travel far, especially london. Back in the day there was often only 1 or 2 good teams in a area, so a only like 20 to 40 spots available, if not you sit on alot lower and lesser coached teams.

Its good they are developing it, though they might want to try harder, because we are becoming dangerously close to making track cycling and rowing our national sports.
mr2good
Senior
And1: 355

Post#20 » by mr2good » Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 am

damo[23] wrote:Could he just like, not pitch, and work on other parts of his game.

Its not like you can dominate by catching real hard.

I think you're missing the point bro.

Return to Orlando Magic