ImageImageImageImage

OT: Where oh Where do the Rockets Go??

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

OT: Where oh Where do the Rockets Go?? 

Post#1 » by BassMaster » Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:54 pm

Since a certain storm has created a huge mess in the Houston area and now those fine people are being told that they won't have power back (it might take 3-4 weeks) for awhile.
So where oh where do the Rockets end up going is my question??
Plus there was a report that there home has several leaks in the roof from cracks in the roof.
No I don't see another Hornet situation, but I do see a team wandering around for a place to practice and play.
What do y'all think is going to happen???
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Re: OT: Where oh Where do the Rockets Go?? 

Post#2 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:53 pm

Seattle? San Antonio's old biga** arena?
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#3 » by UCFJayBird » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:20 pm

Austin? Austin Massachusetts?
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#4 » by TheRevTy » Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:54 pm

Kansas City?
Cigamodnalro
RealGM
And1: 66

Post#5 » by Cigamodnalro » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:02 pm

they're not going anywhere. they'll have training camp at some college or other in north texas and have the arena ready to go by october 31
https://twitter.com/cigamodnalro
“A house pulled down is half rebuilt” - Ancient Proverb
"There's beauty in the breakdown" - Frou Frou
"We're going to turn this team around 360 degrees" - Jason Kidd
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#6 » by CourtsideTV » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:21 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:they're not going anywhere. they'll have training camp at some college or other in north texas and have the arena ready to go by october 31

that is all... /end thread
Work Hard
Stinko Malenko
Bench Warmer

Post#7 » by Stinko Malenko » Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:32 pm

Rockets go to the moon!
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#8 » by BassMaster » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:11 pm

Cigamodnalro wrote:they're not going anywhere. they'll have training camp at some college or other in north texas and have the arena ready to go by october 31

So your saying that all of their pre-season games are going to be on the road???
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#9 » by craig01 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:14 pm

cougar13 wrote:

So your saying that all of their pre-season games are going to be on the road???

That would make their season ticket holders happy $$$$$$$$$$$$$. LOL
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#10 » by SS_MagicMark » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:24 am

Aren't all of OKC's exhibition games on the road, too, due to arena issues?
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#11 » by magicmamma » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:29 am

Relax, Cougar.

This is about as significant as a blizzard in Syracuse.

I remember when I was in grad school, a girl from LA was talking about when they had snow and had to close the university she had attended because traffic couldn't move. I said, " They never closed the college in WI (where I was from) because of snow. The only time it was ever closed is when a flood had the sewer backing up."

She looked at me in amazement, "They closed the college because of a FLOOD???" she said.

You get used to your local problems.
DMannOC
Senior

Post#12 » by DMannOC » Mon Sep 15, 2008 6:30 am

UCFJayBird wrote:Austin? Austin Massachusetts?

:lol:
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#13 » by BassMaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:41 pm

[quote="magicmamma"]Relax, Cougar.

This is about as significant as a blizzard in Syracuse.

I remember when I was in grad school, a girl from LA was talking about when they had snow and had to close the university she had attended because traffic couldn't move. I said, " They never closed the college in WI (where I was from) because of snow. The only time it was ever closed is when a flood had the sewer backing up."

She looked at me in amazement, "They closed the college because of a FLOOD???" she said.

You get used to your local problems.[/quote

Actually I am totally relaxed, remember this is off topic so we are not talking about the Magic. Thought from the news in Houston it may be longer then Oct 31 for them to get their power back the same being for many people in Texas.
I was luckier only lossing power for 5 hours from what was left of Ike. A total of around 100 thousand lost power up here in Upstate NY from Ike that's a lot considering that the Metro area has only about 450 thousand people. Thankfully Ike is now in Canada and almost gone from hurting anyone else.

BTW the last Blizzard to hit Syracuse in 1993 shutdown everything we had 42 inches of snow in 24 hours and an additional 40 the next two days. Nothing moved for about a week.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,916

Post#14 » by drsd » Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Reading the local news threads, I can find nothing about stadium damage in either Houston or Ok City. Thus, I fully expect this as a non-sports story.

Related: there are already sports-drives to create infrastructe re-development because of the massive flooding. In particular, the former Rocket Kenny Smith has been active in using basketball to increase charitable donations to the local Houston community.

Remember, in disaster times, ordinations such as the American Red Cross are desperate for financial assistance. Give early, give often!

http://american.redcross.org

In response to Hurricane Ike's landfall along the Gulf Coast, the Red Cross is providing shelter, food and emotional support for thousands in need. Those affected by disaster are relying on us for emergency aid in their toughest times - especially now in the peak of hurricane season.

These storms will have an impact. You can too. Your gift fuels our mission of disaster relief and lifesaving services every single day.

MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#15 » by MagicMadness » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:27 pm

lol
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#16 » by EasternMagic » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:44 pm

Road Trip!!!
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#17 » by BassMaster » Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:23 pm

drsd wrote:Reading the local news threads, I can find nothing about stadium damage in either Houston or Ok City. Thus, I fully expect this as a non-sports story.

Related: there are already sports-drives to create infrastructe re-development because of the massive flooding. In particular, the former Rocket Kenny Smith has been active in using basketball to increase charitable donations to the local Houston community.

Remember, in disaster times, ordinations such as the American Red Cross are desperate for financial assistance. Give early, give often!

http://american.redcross.org

In response to Hurricane Ike's landfall along the Gulf Coast, the Red Cross is providing shelter, food and emotional support for thousands in need. Those affected by disaster are relying on us for emergency aid in their toughest times - especially now in the peak of hurricane season.

These storms will have an impact. You can too. Your gift fuels our mission of disaster relief and lifesaving services every single day.

You should have watched any of the cable news outlets which showed damage to certain sports arena/stadium.
One of the reasons that Houstons NFL team did not play this week is because of the damage to their stadium and the baseball team is playing their homestand away instead of at home.
Plus most people do not have power and are not allowed out of their homes after a certain hour because of a week long curfew. Need I say more.
It's great that some pro-sports figures have stepped forward to raise money for those in need.
Most people in the Houston area have greater concerns then their current sports teams as of right now. Like having a roof over their heads and power at their homes.
This changes how teams like the Rockets will prepare for next season and how and where the other teams will play.
macdalejax
Senior

Post#18 » by macdalejax » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:31 am

They'll be playing somewhere in Texas. It's a big freakin' state with plenty of venues to choose from. However, I do expect them to play at home without too many issues.

Return to Orlando Magic