ImageImageImageImage

OT: Josh Howard does it again!!

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

otownflava21
Sixth Man
And1: 103

Re: OT: Josh Howard does it again!! 

Post#41 » by otownflava21 » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:13 pm

he was probably blazed LOL
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#42 » by CourtsideTV » Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:17 pm

jonskilly wrote:I don't even know what to say. How ignorant. He's black. Big deal, so are 40 million other people in the United States. And I can guarantee you that atleast one of them sings the national anthem. If you don't sing it, fine. But if you're going to bad mouth it, go live in poverty in Africa.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:
Work Hard
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#43 » by EasternMagic » Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:37 pm

Force9024 wrote:My argument is yes, there was people who died and people who are still fighting. However, I believe the whole purpose to the anthem is to celebrate freedom, being alive, and yes to a point it does celebrate and remember those who fought to keep those rights we have today. The reason it affects me is because i was in the army and i seen first hand in Iraq people dying, including a good friend fighting to for the US because of people that tried to bring down our nation with the 9.11 attacks. That's my reasoning to why it bothered me so much, again that was just me. If you live in America, you've come here for freedom, That's why there is a national anthem. To Celebrate Freedom and Celebrate Peace.

It is and in no case, especially for a rich rich man no matter what his color, should it be taken for granted. Neon i understand what you are saying.. but have you seen the video, its not like he's protesting like an angry man who is standing up for what he believes in. He's joking around with his friends in the middle of the field when a girl is singing. And if he was brought up thinking that the flag and the national anthem is not representative of the freedom and opportunities this country gives us, than he was simply taught wrongly, very wrongly, and it is a personal insult to those who have fought and still fight.
jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#44 » by jonskilly » Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:46 am

Neon1 wrote:
jonskilly wrote:I don't even know what to say. How ignorant. He's black. Big deal, so are 40 million other people in the United States. And I can guarantee you that atleast one of them sings the national anthem. If you don't sing it, fine. But if you're going to bad mouth it, go live in poverty in Africa.

You could have done without that part. Your all good otherwise.

What part? Living in Africa? If he's all about his culture and background then he should have no problem doing that. Millions of people wish they could be in Josh Howard's shoes, he doesn't realize how fortunate he is because he's so ignorant. He was a favorite player of mine until all the media that started surrounding him. I think he needs to appreciate his freedom and wealth a little more.
Shaheen
Suspended

Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,016

Post#45 » by Driguez » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:02 am

It really shows his maturity. It doesnt matter if he was playing or not, he is no 18 yr old kid never mind him being an NBA star. Please...
"We all we got"- SVG
macdalejax
Senior
And1: 0

Post#46 » by macdalejax » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:15 am

He's certainly allowed to express his opinion and views however he choses. But so are those that disagree with him. Fortunately it is a small percentage of Americans who believe that our country isn't worth being proud of. Even though I vehemently disagree with him and would consider his comments to be idiotic, I would fight to defend his right to express these views at any time. That's part of my American pride and our democracy.
macdalejax
Senior

Post#47 » by macdalejax » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:23 am

Neon1 wrote:Do you guys think of the soldiers and/or millitary when the anthem is played or if the flag is present?
Like what im trying to ask is..is that what the flag represents to you?

If so i understand why people get so riled up...like when you hear Josh Howard say "i dont celebrate that" you hear him talking about he doesnt celebrate fallen soldiers?

If this is the case, i see where the impasse is.

See what i hear from those words were something totally different than fallen soldiers etc...So it didnt resignate that way to me...i immediately knew what he meant when he said that, but if the anthem represents fallen brothers to you i see where the uproar comes from.

I dont know, i can understand the attitudes on the issue from both sides i guess.

IMO i dont think his "whatever" attitude had anything to do with soldiers dying and what not. Because i dought thats what he was conditioned to think when hearing that anthem or seeing that flag. I doubt that, wars or whatever even crossed his mind.

BUT If your conditioned to think of sacraficed soldiers etc, of course your going to take it as a direct **** on those that have fallen and rightfully so.

So i guess what has to be kept in consifderation is that what something represents to you doesnt always mean the same to others who grew up conditioned to see something else due to events that shaped thier peoples lives.

That applies to all sides.

I can certainly understand that argument but I don't usually hear people clamoring around trying to defend white people who are conditioned to think that black people are worthless, lazy and of a lesser quality human. That was exactly the view of many older white men I was raised around but I've never subscribed to those views despite what my "conditioning" was. I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not saying you're right either. I can kinda see it both ways though. Conditioning isn't definite. Personal choice and personal decision certainly has to come into play for a grown adult.
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#48 » by Jersey Generals » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:27 am

Meh, freedom of speech, its his right. Is he a douchebag for his opinion? Yes. Do I think it's somewhat of an idiotic opinion? You betcha. That, however is the beauty of freedom of speech: He's allowed to say what he said, and I'm allowed to disagree and call him names. Awesome.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#49 » by Neon1 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:05 am

macdalejax wrote:I can certainly understand that argument but I don't usually hear people clamoring around trying to defend white people who are conditioned to think that black people are worthless, lazy and of a lesser quality human. That was exactly the view of many older white men I was raised around but I've never subscribed to those views despite what my "conditioning" was. I'm not saying you're wrong but I'm not saying you're right either. I can kinda see it both ways though. Conditioning isn't definite. Personal choice and personal decision certainly has to come into play for a grown adult.

Yeah your right, its like i was saying the hatred and distain on both sides is MUCH stronger as a whole the higher you go in respective generations.

Its much much less in 30-4o year olds, then 30 and under is even less. Then generations coming now barely give a damn at all.

It will disipate more and more once all the older groups start umm...dying off so to speak lol.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#50 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:29 am

Neon1 wrote:
EasternMagic wrote:what a douche bag. seriously, i mean the pot thing is something that can be dealt with and handled, but if he was on my team after this happened id get him the hell out of there. Get the hell out of here if you dont want to be an American... shoot man we have Jiwol up there who isnt even American and he knows how stupid this is. stuff like this pisses me off, he should be thankful for living in this country regardless of what his stance is on the present government, and if you cant stand it that much then go a head and get out.

That is the type of irrational sort of reaction i was reffering too. Which happens because so many people take it as a personal attack or something, people overreact due to the emotion.

Its like if its your children or your parents and they do something or do things you dont agree with or you think is terribly wrong...would you just leave your children to fend for themselves, or emancipate from your parents? Most likely the answer is "i hate what you have done but i still stand by you because your my children (or parents)"

That logic or sayings people start emotionally screaming without actually thinking about it wouldnt apply if you apply it to the things you love in your lifes. Just because someone critics the country or its stances doesnt not equal to hating it.

Just like your children or loved ones, you can still love them without blindly saying any and everything they do with life is good or ok just because u love them.

This IMO proves the point the other way... you should respect your elders and love your country even if you hate some of the things it has done lately... But that's always been one of the dangers/risks of being a melting pot country. Less patriotism for the country you live in then the country you or your forefathers may have left.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#51 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:45 am

Plus this guy is like a multi millionaire... doesn't he have at last 3-4 "handlers"(people that tell him what to say/how to act in public) at this point???

I mean obviously he is very candid, which can be bad in the public eye... But COMMON SENSE has to play a part in this as well... :roll:
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#52 » by N4U|Redux » Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:51 am

This entire thread is utterly ridiculous. I'm not going to waste my time getting into it, but Josh Howard's comments are completely stupid - regardless of what connotation he meant by his words - to however have turned this into a race thing is equally stupid. If it were a white guy saying what he said except "I'm white" it'd be equally stupid if he meant it because of whatever connotation Howard implied.

It'd be like calling yourself Christian and taking a dump on an image of Christ. Then, giving some rationale for why you did it, and still considering yourself a Christian. In this case, he calls himself American (Christian) and is takes a metaphoric dump on the national anthem (image of Christ).

Simply put, you don't have to agree with America, but if you're going to exploit it the way he has (which is fine) and the way we all do, then he should have a certain level of respect for it. If not, he has the ability to move to whatever country does not carry the connotation his "I"m black" comment signified. See if he makes as much money in the Nigerian Basketball Association.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#53 » by Max Power » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:20 pm

You know, the United States does have free speech, and thats a great thing, but unfortunately there are people like Josh Howard out there, in which every time they open there mouth nuclear waste comes out. He's black so he doesn't celebrate the anthem...I'm sure that African American community loved hearing that idiot say that....NOT!!! When it comes to Josh Howard it's like this...he's a low class bum who needs his tongue removed, I don't care how good he is at basketball. Go play in Lufthansa you clown!!!
You look confused...let me fill you in.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#54 » by craig01 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 4:15 pm

It was a stupid, careless comment.

He's entitled to his opinion, but he needs to use some discretion.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
streetp0et
Rookie
And1: 99

Post#55 » by streetp0et » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:48 pm

it's a respect thing really. he doesn't have to celebrate it, but you should at least respect it. how would he feel if next home game when they're introducing the mav's starting 5, the other team go to the center court and start goofing around, shooting the ball all over the court and trashing the mavs as they're introduced?

he isn't the first athletes to be indiffirence toward the national anthem, but unlike others (i.e. carlos delgado, chris jackson) he was not trying to make a statement. 'i don't celebrate that **** cause i'm black"?
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#56 » by N4U|Redux » Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:35 pm

^ Well said.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
laVal03
Sixth Man
And1: 6

Post#57 » by laVal03 » Thu Sep 18, 2008 7:38 pm

Force9024 wrote:laVal - I was cleaning up my computer and deleting things, came across the other coldblooded sig i had made when i made ur original one. use it if u want, if n ot.. than oh well..

Thanks Force..........I was due for a change
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#58 » by Force9024 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3D0FICFSrB0

This is a video, kind of funny.. but its good to hear peoples views.
Mad Mike
Rookie

Post#59 » by Mad Mike » Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:59 am

i don't know when the national anthem was created but im guessing when there was still slavery....i think what he meant was i don't stand for this **** that was created by slave owners, im black. Im sure back in the slavery day most blacks didn't stand for anything related to govt or national anthem because they weren't free. I think he means i don't stand for what slave owners created.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#60 » by SD2042 » Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:03 am

^^No offense bro, but you really don't that truly the reason anymore than the next person. If Josh Howard simply chooses not to respect the National Anthem nor speak positively about it. That's his right as an American citizen. You see what happens when you light up once too many times, common sense tends to lose it's value.

Return to Orlando Magic