ImageImageImageImage

Hedo "Hard To Tell If I'm Staying or Leaving"

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,401

Re: Hedo "Hard To Tell If I'm Staying or Leaving" 

Post#21 » by Bensational » Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:41 pm

El_Magico wrote:
prorl wrote:
Asked if the Magic could afford Turkoglu at an average of $10 million a season -- given the punitive luxury tax -- Smith said, "Anything is doable if you want to remain competitive. It's a matter of how creative we can get as it relates to his contract. I'm not sure how the numbers will come in."

That part scares me. I cringe when Otis says they have to get "creative".

Yeah, last time he got "creative" we lost Darko for nothing, he overpaid for Shard and on top of that he did a sign and trade for him, giving him even more money and an extra year.

not to mention letting all expiring contracts walk out the door this offseason.

but, the key part of that sentence i'm gonna hang on is the "anything is doable if you want to remain competitive". if Hedo walks for nothing, then i guess that'll be a pretty strong indicator the team doesn't want to remain competitive, and Otis and all front office people should be set on fire.

but, i'm not getting chicken little on this or anything. i feel pretty comfortable that we'll either retain Hedo, or we'll trade him for someone equally affordable and useful. i think we're too close to being a contender to take a step backwards like that now.
tjm384
Veteran
And1: 36

Post#22 » by tjm384 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:14 pm

Turkoglu Says He'll Likely Opt Out In 2009

Hedo Turkoglu said Tuesday that he likely will opt out of his contract after the season to become a free agent, which would be the end of his six-year, $39-million deal with the Magic.

Trade him at the February deadline if need be so we don't lose him for nothing
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Post#23 » by magicman123 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:10 pm

he said he would explore free agency if we dont resign him, sounds like he would stay..BUT do not let him leave for nothing, sign him or TRADE him, and yea the creative financing from otis :lol: , hedo 6yr $130
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#24 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:16 pm

If Turk isn't traded this season (especially if he plays like he did in '07), I'm going to be very upset with Otis.
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#25 » by mhectorgato » Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:21 pm

My guess is that Otis wants Hedo to prove who he really is - the player from last year or from the years prior - before giving him a big dollar/many yeared (sic) contract.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
lovehoops01
General Manager

Post#26 » by lovehoops01 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:08 pm

lapassione wrote:he has to opt out of his contract to get his last contract. financially, there's no other option for him.
the fact that;
-he likes orlando- he very much likes his role in the team right now
-orlando needs him more than any other team
-orlando can give more money than any other team

i'd be very surprised if otis doesnt keep him (either trade or let walk with low offer)
i think its a sure bet that we will see him in magic uniform at least 5 more years.

I'd like to believe that, too. But unfortunately, the Magic lately have shown that they seem to be more interested in proving how clever they can be in trying to find a player that can fill that same role for less money. And then try to figure out how they are going to explain the reasoning. That is what "creative'' has meant. So far, that hasn't been particularly successful. They are going to have to prove otherwise for me to believe it because so far the rhetoric sounds pretty much the same.
Force9024
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#27 » by Force9024 » Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:33 pm

I think Orlando will ultimately resign him pending his season, if they feel his value is at an all-time high and can get solid fits and equal value and think he might explore going elsewhere next season than they will move him. But if they sit down and view what he wants, than they will resign him at the end of the year and pending what Brian Cook does with his player option and what we do with Redicks team option, We could have anywhere from roughly $53M after Hedo, Bogans, Foyle, Gortat, Cook, and Redick are able to come off the books If Cook takes his option we'll be around $57M, If we resign Hedo to around a $8-10 million dollar deal would will be around $65-67M heading into next season, we would have to find players who will take the minimum to fill in Bogans, Foyle, Gortat, and Redicks spot. which could put us dangerously close to the project tuxury tax level, if RDV agrees to pay the luxury tax as long as they have a winning club than this conversation is moot. We just need to hatch down and watch Hedo's performance and enjoy this season. If we're serious about winning RDV will allow Otis to construct the team including Hedo..
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#28 » by spinedoc » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:03 am

The fact that Hedo hasn't signed an extension already should clearly indicate that Otis isn't 100% sold on keeping him and exploring his options. Hedo doesn't appear to be that big of a priority, so of course he will explore free agency. And of course, it also means Hedo wants his big pay day finally. I was for trading Hedo before and remain in that camp. Our first priority after last year was to sure up the sg spot. We did that. Now, its time to get Dwight's long term complement. We can't afford to put that much salary on the floor for two sf's. Like the Lewis move or not, it is the more permanent piece to the puzzle, so Hedo will be the odd man out. We are in a win win situation here unless Hedo gets hurt though. Hedo will want to be motivated to show his skills and get the most dollars available, and all the while he will increase his trade value for us by the deadline. If not, we got a reduced price to resign him to the team, but its time to start shopping for stud pf's. Hedo will be gone by February.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#29 » by craig01 » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:10 am

I fully expect that Hedo will not be here next year.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#30 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:15 am

craig01 wrote:I fully expect that Hedo will not be here next year.

I am starting to feel the same way knowing how Otis handles such situations.
aka: prorl
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#31 » by Driguez » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:32 am

I feel the same way, he will probably be gone by Feb's deadline.
"We all we got"- SVG
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#32 » by mhectorgato » Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:56 am

Driguez wrote:

Did anyone fully expect BOTH JJ and Bogans to be here still?
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
sChOlaRlY_Magi
Sixth Man
And1: 343

Post#33 » by sChOlaRlY_Magi » Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:41 am

^ Absolutely not... But you never know with Otis "I like this team" Smith! :wink: :-?
Driguez
General Manager
And1: 2,022

Post#34 » by Driguez » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:29 am

mhectorgato wrote:
Driguez wrote:

Did anyone fully expect BOTH JJ and Bogans to be here still?

I expected JJ to be here, not Bogans. This is a completely dif issue with Turk.
"We all we got"- SVG
Magic.City.23.
Bench Warmer

Post#35 » by Magic.City.23. » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 am

Ship his ass out for Z-Bo.
SpaceCoastGator
Junior
And1: 0

Post#36 » by SpaceCoastGator » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:47 am

It would have to be a sign and trade...cause we won't get good value back, if the other team is not sure Hedo would re-sign with them. As has been said, it was expected. If he has a good start to the season, then I would expect Otis to offer as much as he could up to the lux tax threshold (I heard like $11 MM a year). If Hedo doesn't accept that, then the GM has to look at trade options.
maginno
Banned User

Post#37 » by maginno » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:15 am

I don't see how you don't end up insulting Hedo. If he is anywhere near what he was to this team last year then he has to know he is at least as important as Shard. Because of Shard's contract I don't see us being able to make a good offer . He might need to be shopped early.
LLcoleJ
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,366

Post#38 » by LLcoleJ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:24 am

question: When the Magic had both Hedo and Shard on the floor at the same time ( with the assumption that there spliting the 3-4 duties) which player played more 3 and more 4.
Cheers. :beer: — Mags
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,547

Post#39 » by SOUL » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:34 am

Shard was pretty much the fulltime PF
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,915

Post#40 » by drsd » Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:48 am

If Hedo is traded for a new starting PF, this solidifies Bogans as a "need" off of the bench behind Lewis.

Return to Orlando Magic