ImageImageImageImage

OT: Ariza bone problems

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

OT: Ariza bone problems 

Post#1 » by BassMaster » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:26 pm

It turns out that Trevor Ariza hated to drink milk and doctors say that is the reason that he has repeated problems with his ankles. His bones are not as strong as they should be so now he is drinking milk. Sounds like it's a little too late to fix that problem by just drinking milk.

"Trevor Ariza hates milk. Never drank it as a child outside of what he poured on his breakfast cereal. His mother tried to get him to drink more milk. He said he stayed away from it because he just doesn't like the taste. Ariza's milk story is a cautionary tale. His lack of calcium, doctors have told him, led to a Vitamin D deficiency and ultimately to weak bones. It's a key reason behind his fractured foot he suffered last season."

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/truehoop/0-3 ... rsday.html
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Re: OT: Ariza bone problems 

Post#2 » by mhectorgato » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:27 pm

cougar13 wrote:It turns out that Trevor Ariza hated to drink milk and doctors say that is the reason that he has repeated problems with his ankles. His bones are not as strong as they should be so now he is drinking milk. Sounds like it's a little too late to fix that problem by just drinking milk.

"Trevor Ariza hates milk. Never drank it as a child outside of what he poured on his breakfast cereal. His mother tried to get him to drink more milk. He said he stayed away from it because he just doesn't like the taste. Ariza's milk story is a cautionary tale. His lack of calcium, doctors have told him, led to a Vitamin D deficiency and ultimately to weak bones. It's a key reason behind his fractured foot he suffered last season."

Link? (looks like a copy and paste from page, so there must be a link)
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

Post#3 » by MagicalMan » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:27 pm

did he hate ice cream and cheese too?
Potterman
Lead Assistant
And1: 35

Post#4 » by Potterman » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:28 pm

Milk Shakes, chocolate milk, mac and cheese, pizza? Everybody loves pizza.
:rockon: DEFCON - FIRESALE ON THE MAGIC! :rockon:
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Post#5 » by Optimus_Steel » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:51 pm

More and more rumors continue swirling around about Ariza having debilitating foot problems. Its a shame because he is a nice kid and a talented exciting player. However, I dont buy the whole lack of drinking milk thing as the cause to his injury problems. He has bone deficiency it looks like but I dont believe that it's because he did not drink milk lol.
aka: prorl
jonskilly
Bench Warmer
And1: 85

Post#6 » by jonskilly » Thu Oct 2, 2008 8:54 pm

I never drink milk unless its on my cereal. I do eat pizza, mac & cheese.. other dairy products. But straight up milk... nope. Maybe I should start.
Shaheen
Suspended

N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#7 » by N4U|Redux » Thu Oct 2, 2008 9:38 pm

source, or it didn't happen.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#8 » by Neon1 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 9:41 pm

I dont recall ever having a glass of milk or milk carton in my entire life (and im early 30's), ive never broken a bone and played hard impact sports since childhood....

...mind you i never recieved any type of "growth spurt" in my life either...ive been 5'10" since the 9th grade...
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#9 » by spinedoc » Thu Oct 2, 2008 10:30 pm

Would it surprise anyone that milk isn't the best place to get calcium? The vitamin D is a plus to help the body assimilate it, but green leafy vegetables is a much better source. The dairy industry has paid a lot for commercials throughout the years. :D
Shishnizzle
Lead Assistant
And1: 19

Post#10 » by Shishnizzle » Thu Oct 2, 2008 10:36 pm

Oh so this is why we won that trade. lol

Wheres Maggino
huge4
Senior
And1: 0

Post#11 » by huge4 » Thu Oct 2, 2008 11:21 pm

I'm no doctor, but the human body is not built to drink cow milk and it absorbs very little of the nutrients. Suggesting someone has chronic bone problems because they didn't drink enough milk as a kid seems pretty bogus. Not to mention most people in developed countries receive more than adequate basic nutrients in their diets with or without milk.
“There are maybe a handful of players in the history of the NBA who could’ve made that play.”
-Spurs play-by-play after Dwight posterized Duncan for the game winner
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#12 » by spinedoc » Thu Oct 2, 2008 11:31 pm

BigCityCat wrote:Oh so this is why we won that trade. lol

Wheres Maggino

If you wanted me to leave, all you had to do is ask nicely. :lol:
Horcy
Lead Assistant
And1: 362

Post#13 » by Horcy » Thu Oct 2, 2008 11:51 pm

It's a problem of his family. You need milk when you are a kid, It doesn't matter if you like it or not. There are severals forms to administrate calcium to a kid, not only milk.
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#14 » by magicmamma » Fri Oct 3, 2008 12:27 am

Total and complete rubbish! The majority of people in the world cannot digest lactose as adults, losing this ability sometime after weaning and become ill if they drink milk. There is a mutation that occurred in the ancestors of Europeans that maintained the ability to digest milk, and the majority of those of European descent can drink milk without getting sick.

People who haven't touched milk since they were weaned get plenty of calcium and have strong healthy bones. The typical American diet is deficient in most non-dairy sources of calcium, but calcium tablets work just fine.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#15 » by Devin 1L » Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:22 am

magicmamma wrote:Total and complete rubbish! The majority of people in the world cannot digest lactose as adults, losing this ability sometime after weaning and become ill if they drink milk. There is a mutation that occurred in the ancestors of Europeans that maintained the ability to digest milk, and the majority of those of European descent can drink milk without getting sick.

People who haven't touched milk since they were weaned get plenty of calcium and have strong healthy bones. The typical American diet is deficient in most non-dairy sources of calcium, but calcium tablets work just fine.

What?!

I think I know like one person who can't drink milk.

On a side-note: If I am ever unable to drink milk, I will be royally pissed off.
magicmamma
Assistant Coach

Post#16 » by magicmamma » Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:48 am

Devin 1L wrote:
What?!

I think I know like one person who can't drink milk.

On a side-note: If I am ever unable to drink milk, I will be royally pissed off.

Here's some ethnic frequency data for you:

Lactose intolerance frequency.

I'm sensitive about this because I was forced to drink milk as a child even though I complained about it making me sick. The doctor pronouced it all in my head since I didn't have a milk allergy. I was a graduate student when I read an article about lactose intolerance that started out by describing how starving Africans supplied with milk threw it out because it caused such violent diarrhea. I was so thrilled to finally have a name for my condition. I'm of northern European ancestry, the group least likely to be lactose intolerant. I can eat yogurt and cheese, which have reduced lactose, but not fresh milk. East Asian adults are almost 100% lactose intolerant, and you don't even find cheese in their cuisine.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#17 » by TheGlyde » Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:52 am

Though I had no idea previously, my guess is, (just reading now -lol), thats theres a different between 'can't drink milk' and fully digesting milk...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milk
Humans are an exception in the natural world for consuming milk past infancy. Most humans lose the ability to fully digest milk after childhood (that is, they become lactose intolerant).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lactose_intolerant
It is estimated that 75% of adults show some decrease in lactase activity during adulthood worldwide. The frequency of decreased lactase activity ranges from nearly 5% in northern Europe to more than 90% in some Asian and African countries
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
theTHIEF
RealGM
And1: 214

Post#18 » by theTHIEF » Fri Oct 3, 2008 1:52 am

well idk about all of this milk info, but i do know that there is something wrong with that kid's foot and stand behind my previous statements stating that Otis must have known this when he traded him last season...
MagicStarwipe
RealGM
And1: 12,050

Post#19 » by MagicStarwipe » Fri Oct 3, 2008 2:11 am

Case closed!
RealGM Classics - Oladipo's "rude" celebration comes back to bite him: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=1358414
magicmamma
Assistant Coach

Post#20 » by magicmamma » Fri Oct 3, 2008 2:36 am

TheGlyde wrote:Though I had no idea previously, my guess is, (just reading now -lol), thats theres a different between 'can't drink milk' and fully digesting milk...

You can drink milk if you are lactose intolerant. What happens is the lactose from the milk goes through the small intestine without digestion and moves into the large intestine which is loaded with bacteria. Some of these are very happy to eat this lactose, which they can digest, spewing out lots of carbon dioxide, hydrogen, and methane gas in the process. The excess sugar (lactose) in the large intestine causes an influx of water. The result is abdominal cramps, nausea, bloating, and gassy diarrhea. Basically like a 5-hour attack of food poisoning for a glass of milk, but you can drink it if you want to.

Return to Orlando Magic