ImageImageImageImage

Magic pickup Redick's option for next year.

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Re: Magic pickup Redick's option for next year. 

Post#21 » by EasternMagic » Wed Oct 8, 2008 4:34 am

Where is cougar? we need to bust the bubbly! and Kyler's an idiot dont really believe what he says ever.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach
And1: 0

Post#22 » by BassMaster » Wed Oct 8, 2008 4:50 am

richboy wrote:Now lets not forget a year ago we had the how great JJ was playing in preseason after a great summer league and then the season started and he played less time than he did his rookie year. The fact is if JJ beats out MP and Lee for minutes then those moves can't be that good.

I don't know the exact rules on when you can pick up these options but my initial thought was here we go with a move that we didn't need to make so quick. That once again instead of letting things play out and see how things go we jump up and start passing out money. I don't want to watch JJ on the bench and then next off season hear about the luxury tax.

Actually I remember last year where Redick was praised for his summer league play, but when it came to preseason everything went back to before and Redick sat on the bench no extra praise from SVG.
This year it is different and a lot of people are putting down Bogans. Yes it's just one game, but it seems worlds apart from what was said and done from last year.
The fact is if Redick beats out other players for minutes that tells me that all of that hard work during the off season for Redick is paying off and not that the Magic have a rotten players
That the Magic have picked up Redick's option says a lot about what SVG is seeing with Redick in practice and on the court this first pre season game that several other people here have talked about.
Most of your post says to me that you would rather the Magic just get rid of Redick and keep Bogans as the backup, but then that is just my opinion.
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#23 » by BassMaster » Wed Oct 8, 2008 5:09 am

EasternMagic wrote:Where is cougar? we need to bust the bubbly! and Kyler's an idiot dont really believe what he says ever.

Your right Kyler is an idiot I would trust information from the National Inquirer before trusting information from Kyler. (to me the National Inquirer's only worth is covering up dog **** and nothing more).

I won't be on here that much (stop celebrating I can hear you). My surge protector for my computer didn't stop the latest surge after a blackout and my computer got fried, well at least the power unit for the computer is history. Right now using my neighbor's computer. She is shorter ( a lot shorter) and her chair is setup for short legs and plus she is using a dialup double crap.
Hope to have mine back online by sometime this weekend or next week.
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#24 » by Force9024 » Wed Oct 8, 2008 5:18 am

I would really look at Peter Vecsey and the stuff he used to say before Steve Kyler. And we all know Vecsey was full of that BS...
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#25 » by richboy » Wed Oct 8, 2008 5:59 am

If
cougar13 wrote:
richboy wrote:Now lets not forget a year ago we had the how great JJ was playing in preseason after a great summer league and then the season started and he played less time than he did his rookie year. The fact is if JJ beats out MP and Lee for minutes then those moves can't be that good.

I don't know the exact rules on when you can pick up these options but my initial thought was here we go with a move that we didn't need to make so quick. That once again instead of letting things play out and see how things go we jump up and start passing out money. I don't want to watch JJ on the bench and then next off season hear about the luxury tax.

Actually I remember last year where Redick was praised for his summer league play, but when it came to preseason everything went back to before and Redick sat on the bench no extra praise from SVG.
This year it is different and a lot of people are putting down Bogans. Yes it's just one game, but it seems worlds apart from what was said and done from last year.
The fact is if Redick beats out other players for minutes that tells me that all of that hard work during the off season for Redick is paying off and not that the Magic have a rotten players
That the Magic have picked up Redick's option says a lot about what SVG is seeing with Redick in practice and on the court this first pre season game that several other people here have talked about.
Most of your post says to me that you would rather the Magic just get rid of Redick and keep Bogans as the backup, but then that is just my opinion.

I would rather have either. The thing I like about Bogans is he understands his role. He not going to try to be a star. He knows he is in the game for defense and to hit the open shot. The thing I like about JJ is he more likely to score in bunches and will command more respect on the outside.

The problem with JJ is he is yet to show me he can help this team if he is not left open to make shots. The problem with Bogans is he left open way to much and his defense is not close to elite. With Jameer looking at even more minutes I don't get too excited about a Jameer/JJ back court. I don't mind either one as a third string back up. When I hear possibility that JJ could be the backup SG or even the starter then if I'm a guard I'm getting excited about playing us.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#26 » by drsd » Wed Oct 8, 2008 9:29 am

By next year, Bogans will be gone. Thus, the Magic actually need contract stability at the SG slot for the 2009/10 season.

A no-brainer choice.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#27 » by TheRevTy » Wed Oct 8, 2008 12:13 pm

OK, here is how it breaks down in my mind:

If we aren't short-sighted, who makes more sense to deal, Bogans or JJ?

Pietrus is expected to have a huge impact this year, a Turk-esque breakthrough in his game. As such, he will get big minutes, if nothing else than for his all-out defense.

Lee has been hyped as a very good player, and now the team has seen pre-draft workouts, summer league, pre-season scrimmages with teammates, training camp, and a preseason game. Fair to say that have a decent read on what he can do (keep in mind, he isn't a Dwight that is right out of High School and they are seeing potential. They are seeing developed skills NOW). If he is as good as advertised, he'll be a very solid 6th man and get a lot of minutes.

That leaves the 3rd SG spot. What do we need there? Pietrus for sure provides D, and hopefully some solid O as well. Lee provides both. Do we need JJ coming off the bench, guns blazing? Would it be nice? Sure, who doesn't like more points? But is that what we need?

Now if you consider Bogans, he's like the Anthony Johnson of SG's. Nothing flashy, just solid, predictable veteran play. He can come in and play some D (contrary to popular belief), knock down a 3, you know what you get.

Which would be better? Well, clearly the team would LIKE to have the depth of having a guy like JJ as your 3rd SG off the bench, but it would seem somewhat superfluous, especially given some holes you have elsewhere.

Obviously, between the 2, JJ nets you a better deal in this league. There could be teams that see him as the missing shooter they need, perhaps even their 6th man. He is that talented (let me remind you again, say it with me, "WE DON'T NEED HIM. WE ALREADY HAVE 2 GOOD SHOOTING GUARDS ON THE ROSTER." Good.). As such, teams may be more willing to give up a better asset to get JJ. Perhaps a team like Philly, with their glut of PF's, would send us someone like Speights. Or maybe Houston sends us someone like Dorsey or Hayes.

Now, what could Bogans get us? Well, on most teams, he is nothing more than a role player (say it with me, "HE IS OUR 3RD SHOOTING GUARD. WE ALREADY HAVE 2 GOOD SHOOTING GUARDS ON THE ROSTER. ALL WE NEED IS A ROLE PLAYER." Good.). Thus, he will return nothing more than a role player. Someone who is equally as valuable as Bogans, just in a different position. Maybe someone like Donyell Marshall or Kris Humphries.

So there you have it. That is why we may see a deal sending out JJ rather than Bogans. And I'm OK with that, as long as it brings back a solid player.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#28 » by craig01 » Wed Oct 8, 2008 12:20 pm

It won't unless Redick is as beast.

And if he miraculously became a beast, then why would the Magic want to trade him?
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#29 » by CourtsideTV » Wed Oct 8, 2008 1:59 pm

bogans is now dispensible now that we have pietrus and lee..this just gives JJ some time at the 2 spot since bogans doesnt need to be out there because he does what pitrus/lee would do...only worse....

bogans should just be used for defense and resting the starters/bench players.

JJ can actually schoot apparently and has picked up his defense so it only makes sense to put him into the rotation so we are a deadly 3 piont hsooting team. we need to do how we did against the raptors and just shoot 20 3's a game hoping to make 10 of them...
Work Hard
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#30 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Oct 8, 2008 2:10 pm

I think its pretty obvious to anyone with half a brain that Redick is going to get some solid PT this season. he showed up to training camp in the best shape of his life, and considering Bogans proved how worthless he is last season, there is no reason to believe he wont be the 2nd or 3rd guard off the bench.

Dude'll play well for us.
drsd
RealGM

Post#31 » by drsd » Wed Oct 8, 2008 2:28 pm

If you're wondering why Redick finally got into the lineup on Monday night in Orlando, it's because the Magic are openly seeking to find a deal for him.

I do not fully agree with this editorial quote. The magic are far from set in the SG rotation. Redick will get pre-season minutes to determine how he fits in with different roster combinations.

And the trade point as well.

TheRevTy wrote:OK, here is how it breaks down in my mind:

If we aren't short-sighted, who makes more sense to deal, Bogans or JJ?

Based on your comments, I would be inclined to argue that Redick is a better fit than Bogans. Pietrus and Lee bring defense, as you mention. The bench should bring you something else. A change-up pitch, if you will. That Redick's game is not Pietrus' game is a clear asset for the Magic roster. Bogans is Pietrus-light, and Pietrus-old.

Bogans is the MOST TRADEABLE player on the Magic roster. :)
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#32 » by EasternMagic » Wed Oct 8, 2008 4:18 pm

Redick should get back up 2 playing time behind Pietrus and the key to making JJ successful is a no brainer. just set up picks for him and kick the ball out to him, his shot is ridiculously efficient. Now he is stronger and quicker so he can defend a bit better, there really is no reason to not play him as second string guard, especially cause Pietrus has a tendency to get in foul trouble
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 5,894

Post#33 » by eyriq » Wed Oct 8, 2008 7:59 pm

I drool :wipes chin: thinking about JJ in the lineup with Dwight, Lewis, and Hedo. :hoop:
MagicBasketba11
Rookie

Post#34 » by MagicBasketba11 » Wed Oct 8, 2008 9:19 pm

This is JJ's year folks. We need to trade Bogans.
Twitter: NickTheQuick224
richboy
RealGM
And1: 2,486

Post#35 » by richboy » Wed Oct 8, 2008 10:48 pm

JJ problem is length. He has short arms and plays small. He really can't challenge shots.

Plus its tough to say what defense is being played at SG. Its not like we have an all-star to measure him in practice. If MP who pretty much has no ball handling and Lee can be guarded by JJ in practice thats probably not a good thing.
"Talent is God-given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful." John Wooden
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Post#36 » by maginno » Wed Oct 8, 2008 11:11 pm

I can't see the sense in the hoopsworld article. No team is going to give up anything valuable because a player is getting minutes in the preseason.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#37 » by EasternMagic » Thu Oct 9, 2008 4:05 am

i dont want to trade jj hes is legit, he can help this team
BassMaster
Assistant Coach

Post#38 » by BassMaster » Thu Oct 9, 2008 4:37 am

When was the last time HoopsWorld actually made any sense at all. I honestly can't remember so I don't bother thinking about what HoopsWorld says about anything.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,083

Post#39 » by SOUL » Thu Oct 9, 2008 8:11 am

now you guys see my way.... of trading bogans!
drsd
RealGM

Post#40 » by drsd » Thu Oct 9, 2008 12:27 pm

Soul wrote:now you guys see my way.... of trading bogans!

If Redick and Lee continue with their solid shooting, the only place for Bogans to get minutes will be at the SF slot. At Keith's price level, the Magic cannot afford to keep him as a third stringer. And GM Smith is to nice a guy to ruin Bogans' ability to get a contract next year.

Bold prediction: Keith Bogans will be traded.

Return to Orlando Magic