ImageImageImageImage

Magic Say Dooling=luxury tax...effects on Hedo?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Re: Magic Say Dooling=luxury tax...effects on Hedo? 

Post#21 » by Neon1 » Thu Oct 9, 2008 5:52 pm

spinedoc wrote:Neon, if his contract is an average of 10M per year, then you have a much better argument for keeping him. But if its a salary starting at 10M or even a little more with normal raises, then its a different story I think. If he's talking about testing the free agent market, he very well could make the latter depending how much cash is out there or who is or isn't saving for the Lebron and Wade sweepstakes. Those are the parameters that we have to find out first. He's looking for his last big deal, I doubt he's looking for an extension with just a moderate raise.

I agree. Im not for a multi year deal STARTING at 10m then steadily RISING. I feel thats over paying. If its a 3-4 year deal with an average of 10 per im all in. I think he can be had at 4/40. If not, id look to see whats the best sign and trade i can get for him.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#22 » by lovehoops01 » Thu Oct 9, 2008 7:22 pm

magicfan4life05 wrote:http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/10/magic-say-signi.html

As much as the Magic wanted to keep point guard Keyon Dooling, an even stronger directive was at work:

Don't go into the punitive luxury tax.

And that's what signing Dooling at anything more than the $1.9 million biannual exception would have done, according to Magic sources, costing the club a dollar-for-dollar penalty. (Especially when factoring in the players they had yet to sign --- Mickael Pietrus, Anthony Johnson, Mike Wilks, Courtney Lee, etc.)

Even trickier now is how the Magic are going to keep Hedo Turkoglu.

Turkoglu, who can opt out of his contract after the season, can make $7.3 million in 2009-10. But with another terrific season, he could ask for up to $10 million a season.

The market, however, might not be as generous as Turk thinks, meaning the Magic might be able to re-sign him for less. Some teams with money are holding out hope for the summer of 2010, when LeBron and D-Wade can become free agents.

Well, Lee was on the books the second he signed. The NBA automatically adds a cap hold for draft picks.

And I think if you kept Keyon that you definitely would not have signed both Wilks and Johnson -- and you might not have signed either if you think Lee can play some point.

I think they just need to find a way to move Cook. Moving his $3.5 million off next season's books would be huge.

Perhaps Otis is taking that scouting trip because he has some possible offers out there and he is comparing how the trade proposals would help the team. I hope they don't include Hedo, but it might be a possibility. (Regarding his game being based on athleticism....I think it depends more on his versatility than his athleticism. He can handle the ball and shoot whether he is athletic or not. I don't think he really relies on his jumping or speed. Maybe his first step to slither between guys a little. If they are relying on Pietrus to fill his role, as Otis had the audacity to suggest might be possible, we are going to be sorely disappointed. I would be surprised if he averaged much more than 10 points per game, and based on what I have seen so far, he is a turnover machine.)

No matter what deal Otis is looking to make, though....to me, it's the perfect time to make that trip, in the preseason. If he can get a deal done before the season starts, it would allow them to move forward for the full year with the roster they are going to have. However, if they do trade Hedo, it might mean a lower playoff seeding -- or depending upon who they get back, possibly even missing the playoffs, because I doubt that Dwight and Rashard alone can carry the full load.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#23 » by glennathan » Thu Oct 9, 2008 11:31 pm

lovehoops01 wrote:
magicfan4life05 wrote:http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports_magic/2008/10/magic-say-signi.html

As much as the Magic wanted to keep point guard Keyon Dooling, an even stronger directive was at work:

Don't go into the punitive luxury tax.

And that's what signing Dooling at anything more than the $1.9 million biannual exception would have done, according to Magic sources, costing the club a dollar-for-dollar penalty. (Especially when factoring in the players they had yet to sign --- Mickael Pietrus, Anthony Johnson, Mike Wilks, Courtney Lee, etc.)

Even trickier now is how the Magic are going to keep Hedo Turkoglu.

Turkoglu, who can opt out of his contract after the season, can make $7.3 million in 2009-10. But with another terrific season, he could ask for up to $10 million a season.

The market, however, might not be as generous as Turk thinks, meaning the Magic might be able to re-sign him for less. Some teams with money are holding out hope for the summer of 2010, when LeBron and D-Wade can become free agents.

Well, Lee was on the books the second he signed. The NBA automatically adds a cap hold for draft picks.

And I think if you kept Keyon that you definitely would not have signed both Wilks and Johnson -- and you might not have signed either if you think Lee can play some point.

I think they just need to find a way to move Cook. Moving his $3.5 million off next season's books would be huge.

Perhaps Otis is taking that scouting trip because he has some possible offers out there and he is comparing how the trade proposals would help the team. I hope they don't include Hedo, but it might be a possibility. (Regarding his game being based on athleticism....I think it depends more on his versatility than his athleticism. He can handle the ball and shoot whether he is athletic or not. I don't think he really relies on his jumping or speed. Maybe his first step to slither between guys a little. If they are relying on Pietrus to fill his role, as Otis had the audacity to suggest might be possible, we are going to be sorely disappointed. I would be surprised if he averaged much more than 10 points per game, and based on what I have seen so far, he is a turnover machine.)

No matter what deal Otis is looking to make, though....to me, it's the perfect time to make that trip, in the preseason. If he can get a deal done before the season starts, it would allow them to move forward for the full year with the roster they are going to have. However, if they do trade Hedo, it might mean a lower playoff seeding -- or depending upon who they get back, possibly even missing the playoffs, because I doubt that Dwight and Rashard alone can carry the full load.

I agree with some points made here. I believe it is too much for Dwight and Rashard to carry the team by themselves, however if they push for a player like (These are just examples) Nick Collison, Udonis Haslem, Al Harrington, Jamaal Crawford, or David West then we should by all means trade Hedo and whatever else it takes to get it done.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
SpaceCoastGator
Junior
And1: 0

Post#24 » by SpaceCoastGator » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:37 am

I agree with Neon, let Bogans walk/find a way to shed Cook's salary, then resign Hedo to a 5 years/$10 MM per average salary over the life of the contract. We have to do it...we'd like a four year deal better, but we have to trade the 'smaller' average salary for an extra year. If that doesn't work, then find the best S&T, we can get. Draft a 4 in 2009.

Hedo didn't really have the chance to show his total game in the past. I think with this coach and this team and the confidence gained, his numbers will remain close to last year (although with Battie back and other additions, he may not have to do as much as he did last year). However, if his production is significantly off...then the situation will have to be re-evaluated.

I know lots of folks want a more traditonal PF, but I like our front line just fine.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#25 » by Neon1 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:14 am

SpaceCoastGator wrote:I agree with Neon, let Bogans walk/find a way to shed Cook's salary, then resign Hedo to a 5 years/$10 MM per average salary over the life of the contract. We have to do it...we'd like a four year deal better, but we have to trade the 'smaller' average salary for an extra year. If that doesn't work, then find the best S&T, we can get. Draft a 4 in 2009.

The reason im saying a 4yr or 3yr extention is because this is the way Otis has been structuring the roster. This puts Hedo in line to expire the same year as Dwight and Rashard. If its the 3yr he expires with our 2nd tier players Nelson, Pietrus and Lee.

I think Otis will hold to his pattern, he seems to be structuring the roster's finances to create cap space in the same years. I dont think he wants to have Hedo's (or Shards) contract on the books if theres a chance Dwight leaves in 4years. I think its his backup plan to have enough cap space available incase the unthinkable happens.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah

Return to Orlando Magic