ImageImageImageImage

Bianchi: For the 100th time ... Dwight over Emeka

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

Bianchi: For the 100th time ... Dwight over Emeka 

Post#1 » by drsd » Thu Oct 9, 2008 1:53 pm

Let's look back once again at what ESPN's analysts had to say that night:

-- Dick Vitale: "In 10 years, man, the Magic are going to regret not taking Mr. Okafor."

-- Stephen A. Smith: "The Orlando Magic cannot play a guessing game. Emeka Okafor is the man. He's the answer."

Five years later, let me just say this: If Okafor is the answer, I don't want to know the question.

Open Mike Link

Contrary to what Vitale said, choosing Dwight Howard won't be a decision the Magic will regret in 10 years.

It'll be a decision that may have very well saved the franchise.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Re: Bianchi: For the 100th time ... Dwight over Emeka 

Post#2 » by MagicMadness » Thu Oct 9, 2008 4:33 pm

I wish we still had access to posts from summer 2004, because I'm curious to see what my written thoughts on the subject were.

I remember being torn between Howard's big upside and size, and Okafor's experience and pedigree. Once T-Mac was traded, I was leaning more towards Howard, but pretty much thought "oh hell, just let the Magic decide". And once draft night was over, I liked the idea of Howard/Nelson much more than I did of Okafor/Nelson.

Edit: T-Mac was traded a few days after the draft. But by the time of the draft, we all knew that he would be dealt. So what I meant was "Once we knew T-Mac would be traded"...
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 415

Post#3 » by richi_v25 » Thu Oct 9, 2008 6:48 pm

i wanted dwight from day one, i had seen him at the McDonalds hs game and was sold, yeah he was kinda skinny but i loved his playful smile(no homo) kinda like Bo outlaws i guess. I'm also class of 04 so i guess i was being bias towards okafur. His personality just made him seem like he wanted to be the best, i remember him being so disappointed he wasn't the rookie of the year, but he was a devoted Christian on a mission. Unlike kwame he was hungry, I guess we really don't hear about him being a Christian anymore but hes still hungry.
drsd
RealGM

Post#4 » by drsd » Thu Oct 9, 2008 7:14 pm

MagicMadness wrote:I wish we still had access to posts from summer 2004, because I'm curious to see what my written thoughts on the subject were.

I remember being torn between Howard's big upside and size, and Okafor's experience and pedigree. Once T-Mac was traded, I was leaning more towards Howard, but pretty much thought "oh hell, just let the Magic decide". And once draft night was over, I liked the idea of Howard/Nelson much more than I did of Okafor/Nelson.

An interesting point indeed. I cannot remember liking Howard at #1. But I knew that I was concerned that Okafor was undersized. I too cannot recall my feelings.

I'm SURE I did not like at #1 Ben Gordon, Shaun Livingston, Devin Harris, Josh Childress, Luol Deng, Rafael Araújo, etc.

I guess I probably had Howard in a cautious way. Okafor out of college looked like a Center. But he lacks an NBA body at that position. My only hope for Okafor was that he could develop to a PF.

Howard I saw as a PF. That he is an effective C surprises me today. I am not complaining :)
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Thu Oct 9, 2008 7:58 pm

I'll make it the 101st time.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#6 » by MagicMadness » Thu Oct 9, 2008 8:22 pm

I will say this...I expected both Okafor and Howard to be about on par with each other at this point in their careers (which isn't the case). I figured both would be all-star big men...which Howard is, but Okafor isn't (yet?). But, I did not expect Howard to be one of the most physically dominant players in the game. Coming straight out of high school with little fanfare (compared to Kobe or LeBron), it was difficult for any of us who hadn't seen him to really judge what type of impact Dwight would have.

Like I said, knowing little about him other than from reading draft reports and seeing photos, I decided to just go with whomever the Magic wanted, because they knew more than I did, lol. After knowing T-Mac would be traded, I was leaning more towards Howard because I figured we might as well rebuild around a young guy with supposedly tremendous upside. I do remember myself and a lot of others here saying that Okafor would likely be the better player for the first couple of years, but Howard would eventually end up overtaking him...turns out Howard was the better player almost right from the start.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#7 » by Last Guardian » Thu Oct 9, 2008 8:26 pm

When we first learned of our two options at #1, I really didn't know. I did like Howard when he started getting compared to KG, but when the draft came around I liked Okafor to help T-Mac out. They chose Howard and I was alright with it. Then when T-mac was finally traded not too long after I really liked the choice for his potential. Too bad we didn't trade T-Mac for younger talent and draft picks.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#8 » by Bensational » Thu Oct 9, 2008 8:46 pm

MagicMadness wrote:I wish we still had access to posts from summer 2004, because I'm curious to see what my written thoughts on the subject were.

i'm glad i can't see my thoughts on the matter. i was Okafor all the way. at the time i saw Dwight, and rather than seeing the instant impact type high school player that Amare was, i saw Kwame Brown, Eddy Curry and Tyson Chandler.

if i'd been GM back then i would've taken Okafor, and i'm able to admit that it would've ruined this franchise temporarily. i also would've held on to Tmac though, or if trading him, gone for anyone but Steve Francis.
cmor42180
Senior
And1: 7

Post#9 » by cmor42180 » Thu Oct 9, 2008 8:51 pm

i can say i was all for emeka, being from connecticut and uconn territory i was all for it, and i wasnt sure on dwight with all the religion talk and everything they were saying about him... but ill be one to eat my words and say was dead wrong, dwight was by far the better pick... thank you hockeyman..
happypedro12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#10 » by happypedro12 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:10 am

I remember seeing Emeka play in college so I was hyped for him. I had no hard feelings towards Dwight but didn't think he was ready..........until I saw the highschool numbers. Somewhere on espn or some channel they showed his stats, the kid was avg and triple-double in highschool! :o :o I dunno if it was just his senior year or they messed the stats up, but when I saw that I was sold.
Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right.
FFBlitzace
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 7,777

Post#11 » by FFBlitzace » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:33 am

I wanted Okafor. When we took Dwight I was upset, because I was so scared he would be a bust.
11/18/2017 - I have officially disowned Nikola Vucevic and branded him a loser.

- Skal Labissiere was my guy in 2016 pre-trade. Whoops, but I still believe.
- Malik Monk was my guy in 2017. Whoops(?)
- Mo Bamba was my guy in 2018. TBD.
TheGlyde
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 559

Post#12 » by TheGlyde » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:43 am

I definately was leaning towards Oak, the only reason I wasn't 100% dead against Dwight was Oak's back worries in college had me scared after Tmac's back issues... I was a bit worried Dwight was just the next Kwame... but yeah... thank god we made the right choice on the draft pick that meant more than the other 9 this decade
Orlando Magic Historian

Magic Player History on Instagram

Also on Twitter & Youtube
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#13 » by ezmac2 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:45 am

I'm not positive on this but weren't draft sites saying Howard would be like KG?
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,132

Post#14 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:56 am

I wanted Okafor because he was known and we needed defense and rebounding. I thought that if we got Okafor that we would keep Tmac. Then again when asked, Tmac said he had no idea who those guys were (Okafor, Howard) and didnt want anything to do with them lol. Howard was the big unknown. Who here really knew him back then? Hardly anyone. We heard the KG potential with Dwight but it was all potential, no gurantee. As the draft approached, and it was clear that Tmac was gone, i was more open to Dwight but I still prefereed Okafor and i remember being mad when Dwights name was called. But as i learned more about him I accepted him quickly. And when he did a nasty dunk on his first game i knew we had a player.
aka: prorl
kookie_819
Assistant Coach
And1: 55

Post#15 » by kookie_819 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:09 am

I'll admit, I only had my sights on Okafor (or trade down and take Devin Harris or Gordon). I did not want to take a risk by choosing an unknown high schooler like Dwight or Livingston. We were a pretty old team, that it didn't make any sense to choose someone unproven.

I guess I was just so disappointed in our big men (Juwan Howard/Drew Gooden/the crap centers) and their lack of defensive presence, that I wanted the guy who can be a defensive anchor, in Okafor.

I liked Livingston, and was thinking of taking a PG (since our PG situation absolutely SUCKED back then)... I didn't know that much about basketball back then, so I was under the impression that Ben Gordon could play PG :lol:
ProfX
Starter
And1: 24

Post#16 » by ProfX » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:39 am

I have to admit I was an Oakafor guy too.. Never have I been so happy to have been wrong
El_Magico
Veteran
And1: 0

Post#17 » by El_Magico » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:07 am

:bowdown:
John Weisbrod
Kevin Durant tweeted:
"I wanna see Brian Scalabrine, Adonal Foyle, Fabricio Oberto and Zydrunas Ilgauskas in the dunk contest"
Jersey Generals
Lead Assistant
And1: 382

Post#18 » by Jersey Generals » Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:05 am

El_Magico wrote::bowdown:
John Weisbrod

Meh...I'll give him props for his selection of Dwight, but I am in the corner that he got swindled in the T-Mac deal. Although, I can see that T-Mac was becoming more and more of a problem, so I understand why Weisbrod unloaded him and accepted such a deal. Even so, Weisbrod didn't even get a pick or any young talent out of the deal.
drsd
RealGM

Post#19 » by drsd » Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:25 am

ezmac2 wrote:I'm not positive on this but weren't draft sites saying Howard would be like KG?

Compared to today, Howard was thin. He was projected by many as a PF. Also, in high school, he had a jump shot. So, I think many saw him as a bunny-hops PF for the Magic. And in his rookie year, that was basically what the Magic got.

After a couple of Powerthirst drinks, we have the Howard of today.

Youtube: Powerthirst

Return to Orlando Magic