ImageImageImageImage

OT: Dish or DirecTV

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

MagicalMan
Analyst
And1: 9

OT: Dish or DirecTV 

Post#1 » by MagicalMan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:18 pm

I know this has been brought up in the past, so forgive me for asking again, but what are your experiences/preferences among the two?

I just moved to an area in Minneapolis that only offers Charter for cable, and they dont offer NBA League Pass. I havent missed a game televised on LP for 5 seasons, and im not starting now. Whats sucks is the customer rep who signed me up lied and said it would be offered. It was the only reason i went with cable of Dish/DirecTV.

HD is important to me as well. Price is not so important. so i want to know based on experience which service would offer the best selection of HD programming?

Thanks for any input.

edit: and DVR is another important thing for my wife and I. Also how do multiple receivers work? i have 3 tv's (2 HD) and want to know if i can watch different channels at different times on other TV's? I ask because growing up we had a big satellite dish where you could only watch 1 channel at a time throughout the house, unless you were on antenna.
Edrock
Rookie
And1: 210

Re: OT: Dish or DirecTV 

Post#2 » by Edrock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:31 pm

I've had DirecTV since last season due to the whole Brighthouse debacle, and I'm glad I made the decision... A bunch of HD channels and a very nice clear picture. The times I've seen Dish the picture didn't seem as clear, but it might have had to do w/the TV's I was watching it on and not necessarily the service. DirecTV has a bunch of HD channels (somewhere over 100 channels I think).
I have one HD DVR & two standard boxes. They've all been on at the same time and all watching different channels w/no problem (I don't think current dishes have the same limitation as the big ol' satellite dishes of the past). For every room you want DVR you will have two cable outlets since the cable box will connect to both (apparently there's no internal mutliplexer to split the signal, thus the two discrete inputs). This may require additional installation cost (I paid $50 I think for the installer to climb into my attic and drop another line), but otherwise standard installation is free.

I have more information for DirecTV & any current promotions that are going on if you'd like. Just email me at Edrock624@gmail.com and I may be able to get you a good deal.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,113

Post#3 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:48 pm

They're both about the same, but apparantly DirecTV does have more HD channels so go with that.
I'll say this, once you move over to satellite, you'll never regret it.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
MagicalMan
Analyst

Post#4 » by MagicalMan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:59 pm

I also read that you need DSL and a cable modem for In Demand programming. I think i also read that you need it for the dvr as well. is this true? Im going to have to keep my broadband with my cable company since they're the only ones who offer it (the other providers offer DSL which i obviously dont want). What is required for hooking up my broadband/cable modem to the receiver? I guess im trying to get a picture of the installation charges ahead of time. You also said I need two cable outlets per dvr receiver? Currently I only have one jack per room (two of my bedrooms arent even wired, just my living room, family room, and master bedroom). Does this mean I need to have 2 more outlets installed for dvr? i want hd dvr on my two hd tv's. Thanks again for the advice.
Edrock
Rookie

Post#5 » by Edrock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:19 pm

MagicalMan wrote:I also read that you need DSL and a cable modem for In Demand programming. I think i also read that you need it for the dvr as well. is this true?

For DirecTV you only need a high speed internet connection for On-Demand, not for the DVR. I guess they use a server out there to hold the on Demand programming and DL it to your box when you select the programming. DVR doesn't need it though.

MagicalMan wrote:Im going to have to keep my broadband with my cable company since they're the only ones who offer it (the other providers offer DSL which i obviously dont want). What is required for hooking up my broadband/cable modem to the receiver?

There's an RJ45 (network) port on the back of the receiver, I believe it's just connect and then use the menu to automatically configure the receiver. Again this is only necessary for On Demand programming & not for the DVR .

MagicalMan wrote:I guess im trying to get a picture of the installation charges ahead of time. You also said I need two cable outlets per dvr receiver? Currently I only have one jack per room (two of my bedrooms arent even wired, just my living room, family room, and master bedroom). Does this mean I need to have 2 more outlets installed for dvr? i want hd dvr on my two hd tv's. Thanks again for the advice.

Based on my personal experience you will have to have two cable outlets available per DVR. If you need additional outlets hung, typically the installer will do the job for you for a nominal fee (I think this is negotiable because I cut the check directly to my installer). Otherwise everything else like installation & equipment is free. Currently one of the specials have one HD DVR for free w/new account signup.
They also have a special for the premium package (ALL the channels) for 3 months for $46.99 (normally $104.99). This gives you good chance to see all of their programming and decide how much or how little you want after the first three months. I also think there's an early bird special for NBA LP anytime before the season starts, but I don't have that exact price.

Hope this helps! If you decide to go DirecTV, I'd be happy to get you set up! :D
Force9024
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#6 » by Force9024 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:51 pm

Either one's good really.. I know people who have DirecTV and I personally have Dish Network. DirectTV how recently, just upgraded to 130HD channels. Anyways, I have a 50" Plasma HDTV and Dish looks great, with the HD channels and such. Also Dish offers the 2 Options for each channel, HD and Standard. I've seen the HD on league pass, and I must say it looks great, given it's the people broadcasting, but it's the first time I've had that option. Like I said DirectTV I've heard is good, but I personally chose Dish just for the fact of start up fee's and purchasing receivers. Although it looks like DirectTV has a Free HD/DVR Upgrade now..

http://www.directstartv.com/directv_equipment/directv_hd/directv_hd.html
http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/our_products/dish_hd/index.shtml
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#7 » by Force9024 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:52 pm

NBA LEAGUE PASS for either network is 159.99 Early Bird 169.99 afterwards

3 Payments of 53.33 is an option as well if you don't wanna pay it upfront..
MagicalMan
Analyst

Post#8 » by MagicalMan » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:11 pm

What about League Pass in HD? Do either offer it? o rNBATV in HD for that matter? i came from Comcast cable where NBATV/NBALP werent offered in HD.

And Edrock, how would you help to set me up? I see I can just sign up online with the packages listed (ie all the channels for 3 months, and a 1 year discount via their website). Whats the difference?
Force9024
Sixth Man

Post#9 » by Force9024 » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:18 pm

I know Dish Network has both NBATV in HD and NBA LP in HD, the only thing about the LP is the game has to be broadcasted in HD on the other end (i.e Sun Sports HD, FSN HD, etc.)... All channels that basketball is on have HD listings, that's all I needed.. Not sure if Direct TV offers NBA LP in HD, I'm sure they would though..
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#10 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Tue Oct 14, 2008 3:54 pm

DirectTV has League Pass games in HD. Not sure about ALL of the channels (most likely though), but I've already watched a handful of pre-season games in HD amongst the different channels.

I like DirectTV better. More HD channels and it has the football package. :D
Edrock
Rookie

Post#11 » by Edrock » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:08 pm

MagicalMan wrote:What about League Pass in HD? Do either offer it? o rNBATV in HD for that matter? i came from Comcast cable where NBATV/NBALP werent offered in HD.

NBA TV comes on in HD on DirecTV. What was previously stated about the LP games apply. The league pass games are just the local feed (FSNxxx, MSG, etc...) so if the HD feed is available, then the HD feed SHOULD be available on NBA LP.

MagicalMan wrote:And Edrock, how would you help to set me up? I see I can just sign up online with the packages listed (ie all the channels for 3 months, and a 1 year discount via their website). Whats the difference?

Honestly, I wasn't sure what other offers were out there, but if you sign up through my distributor website, & it's the same deal, then you get what you want, and I'll get commission for signing you up through my website :D. I didn't want to post my link because I didn't want to be soliciting on RealGM. Frankly, I don't even know if answering this question is allowed. That was why I was offering my email address if you wanted more info. So if you want to check the deal from my website to see if it beats the deal you found. Just drop me an email at either Edrock624@gmail.com or vphone.orlando@gmail.com
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#12 » by mhectorgato » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:30 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:They're both about the same, but apparantly DirecTV does have more HD channels so go with that.
I'll say this, once you move over to satellite, you'll never regret it.

I've got DirectTV .. the only times I regret it is during really really bad storms. Then I wish I could get the local channels for the weather.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.

Return to Orlando Magic