ImageImageImageImage

Historically-relevant YouTube of the Day: DA on fire

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Historically-relevant YouTube of the Day: DA on fire 

Post#1 » by Devin 1L » Fri Oct 17, 2008 5:51 pm

You may have already read Nick Friedell's disturbing post about the Orlando Magic's unfortunate attack of revisionist history. If you haven't read the post, go here. If you have ...

Darrell Armstrong was awesome. You know that. The guy sat on the Orlando bench for ages, happy to be there after a sterling tour of various basketball minor leagues both domestic and international, and he absolutely ran stuff for the Magic from 1998 to 2003.

He should have been running things earlier than that. He was my first per-minute hero, a guy I saw play for a few seconds here and there, and someone who obviously deserved more burn. When he got it, things tended to work for that Orlando franchise. NBA mixmaster Yinka Dare has a tribute in hand, please to be watching:

(Somewhat safe for work.)

Click link for video
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,147

Re: Historically-relevant YouTube of the Day: DA on fire 

Post#2 » by Optimus_Steel » Fri Oct 17, 2008 6:05 pm

One of the worst things this franchise did was listen to Doc who wanted to get rid of Darrell in an ill fated attempt to make Tmac the leader. You saw what happend the next year. Then again it got us Dwight.
aka: prorl
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#3 » by Devin 1L » Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:12 pm

prorl wrote:One of the worst things this franchise did was listen to Doc who wanted to get rid of Darrell in an ill fated attempt to make Tmac the leader. You saw what happend the next year. Then again it got us Dwight.

Yeah, that's a pretty good example of how player's personalities, interactions, fit together to make a team, rather than the all-to-common view that they (players) are all emotionless pieces that can be shuffled and put together "on paper" to make a team.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#4 » by EasternMagic » Fri Oct 17, 2008 10:24 pm

that was an awesome video... sometimes i forget how amazing DA was, but he was a beast... I love the shots of him and Bo, one of my favorite one two punch combos in basketball...
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#5 » by damo[23] » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:01 am

Just a testament to how much hard work can actually get you in sports today. While obviously natural talent rules, guys like Armstrong just show if you keep plugging away you get your reward [he did have natural talent, but boy he worked hard].
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#6 » by AdamTheGreek » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:30 am

I will NEVER forget his steal against Philly. It was lowest scoring game that I've ever attended and to still win on a miracle steal and lay-in at the buzzer is just amazing. "Flash" was literally born that night.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#7 » by Devin 1L » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:36 am

EasternMagic wrote:that was an awesome video... sometimes i forget how amazing DA was, but he was a beast... I love the shots of him and Bo, one of my favorite one two punch combos in basketball...

That pass-dunk combo with Bo gave me chills. Two of my favorite Magic players ever.

I agree with the sentiments thus far, as I'm sure most Magic fans do. I've got a great amount of respect for Outlaw and Armstrong -- two good guys who worked their ass off for this team.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#8 » by NEM » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:53 am

we definitely need 45 and 10 hanging from the rafters real soon. why not bring DA back for the 3rd pg role now that wilks is out. for old times sake. it wouldn't hurt and it would be cool seeing DA leave where he started
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
richi_v25
Bench Warmer
And1: 423

Post#9 » by richi_v25 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:56 am

i've always said we need to retire his jersey before anyone else. Maybe the magic are waiting for the new area to retire him. I remember actually being in tears the year of the heart n hustle team where they barely missed the playoffs(then again i was like 13) and he was the leader. HA bringing him in to retire with the magic as their 3 pg would be a dream. Wasn't it last year he lit up the magic and won the game?
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#10 » by EasternMagic » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:48 am

I still think Nicks number should be retired first but it would be cool to see darrell's and bo's come afterwards... although i dont think any of them will actually happen.... stupid
happypedro12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#11 » by happypedro12 » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:01 pm

Yea DA needs to have his jersey retire, I dunno how many last second shots he made. Plus his hustle is legendary, mold my game after him completely.
Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right.
Orange Ave.
Sixth Man
And1: 280

Post#12 » by Orange Ave. » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:33 pm

Wow, totally forgot about the Chucky bounce alley oop to Armstrong. That was before Youtube. one of the most entertaining plays in Magic history.

I agree, his should be retired based on heart and hustle. That's more deserving than scoring 10,000 points and at least as important as anything else that might follow.

It will be a reminder hanging in the rafters. Look up at Armstrong's jersey. Play hard, and you'll be a legend, no matter where you came from.
cigamodnalro: "Orange Ave...One of my favorite guys here."

zuppafly: "Orange Ave was not a bandwagoner. He is a long time magic fan."

Return to Orlando Magic