ImageImageImageImage

Anyone for Jason Maxiell?

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Anyone for Jason Maxiell? 

Post#1 » by glennathan » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:10 am

So I found this article and wanted some thoughts on him. Should we or could we make an attempt at him next year? Would be awesome if we could pry him away from Detroit.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... h_pistons/
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 954

Re: Anyone for Jason Maxiell? 

Post#2 » by Devin 1L » Sun Oct 19, 2008 9:11 am

glennathan wrote:So I found this article and wanted some thoughts on him. Should we or could we make an attempt at him next year? Would be awesome if we could pry him away from Detroit.

http://basketball.realgm.com/src_wireta ... h_pistons/

Doubt it, we've got Hedo to worry about.

With that said though, I'd love to have him here. I'm a big fan of his "type" of player. Ultimately, I think we need a Maxiell type of player next to Dwight.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#3 » by damo[23] » Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:58 am

Exactly Dev, I'd love for us to get that sort of guy in here at Orlando, would be ideal. Hedo will take up our main FA attention though unless the situation is resolved before then [I.E trade].
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#4 » by MitchellUK » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:01 pm

Current roster + Maxiell = genuine contenders.

Unfortunately, as already stated, getting one in free agency seems unlikely given Hedo's status (and the fact that Maxiell will be restricted next summer, and Detroit will likely match a midlevel offer, seeing as they already offered him $5m a season).

I think our best shot of getting a guy like that lies in the draft. That's why I was so excited for this years class, where it seemed that any number of guys with the potential to be a Maxiell type impact player (Dorsey, White, Hendrix) could be available if we acquired a second-rounder. But then we didn't get one, and it made me sad inside.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#5 » by EasternMagic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 2:36 pm

not gonna happen
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#6 » by AdamTheGreek » Sun Oct 19, 2008 3:13 pm

Can't see an outcome where Detroit wouldn't milk us in that deal.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
penn24
Assistant Coach
And1: 8

Post#7 » by penn24 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:26 pm

I called this on the Detroit board when the reports first came out that they were going to offer him an extension. The fact of the matter is, with the exorbitant amounts being paid to 'big' guys recently, Maxiel has to figure he can do a lot better than their offer...which in turn means he is too rich for our blood. Also, I would hope that we would be able to find a similar player in the second round of the draft, making the most of our resources.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#8 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:55 pm

LOVE Maxiell. He is exactly the kind of player that I hope the Magic could find.

However, even if the Magic cannot re-sign Hedo, they still wouldn't have the cap space to offer more than the midlevel. Detroit would match any midlevel offer and would ask for the moon in a trade probably.

Maxiell should hold out for more than Detroit offered, though. He'll get it from someone.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#9 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:03 pm

I love his style and game too, but I think part of the reason that Maxiell flourishes is because he plays in Detroit.

I'm not sure he's the same player somewhere else....but I'd sure like to find out in Orlando.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#10 » by lovehoops01 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:12 pm

That is a possibility, Craig.

Don't laugh now, but I always marvel when I watch the Detroit Shock or the USA Basketball women's team play at how similar Katie Smith plays to Chauncey Billups. She serves the same role on the Shock -- with the same attitude, confidence and effect on the game -- as Billups does with the Pistons. It makes me think that there is something about their system that helps make them so successful. Not that both Smith and Billups are not excellent players in their own right. But compared in their leagues, the similarities are stunning.

Still, Maxiell is not afraid to defend aggressively and is very capable of hitting that short little jumper as well as dunking on his opponent. Those are good skills to have, no matter where you play, but whether he would be as effective with another team, well, we might see if we wait.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#11 » by craig01 » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:21 pm

Katie Smith is great.

Smith = tenacious
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#12 » by EasternMagic » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:11 pm

craig01 wrote:I love his style and game too, but I think part of the reason that Maxiell flourishes is because he plays in Detroit.

I'm not sure he's the same player somewhere else....but I'd sure like to find out in Orlando.

+1
magicmamma
Assistant Coach
And1: 30

Post#13 » by magicmamma » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:53 pm

lovehoops01 wrote: I always marvel when I watch the Detroit Shock or the USA Basketball women's team play at how similar Katie Smith plays to Chauncey Billups. She serves the same role on the Shock -- with the same attitude, confidence and effect on the game -- as Billups does with the Pistons. It makes me think that there is something about their system that helps make them so successful. Not that both Smith and Billups are not excellent players in their own right. But compared in their leagues, the similarities are stunning.

It's funny, but when my son and I were watching the WNBA finals, we were talking about the similarity between the Shock and the Pistons, even though we couldn't line up corresponding players (but Smith=Billups, yes). We decided there was such a thing as "Detroit basketball." Maybe Lambier is the connection. He's an obnoxious bully, but he's a hell of a coach and has definitely created his kind of team.

Return to Orlando Magic