ImageImageImageImage

OT- Iverson to the Pistons for Billups and McDyess

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Force9024
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Re: OT- Iverson to the Pistons for Billups and McDyess 

Post#61 » by Force9024 » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:27 pm

Ricky Bobby on The Detroit trading Billups and McDyess:
Image: " Hot Dog! That's like lookin up Yasmine Bleeths skirt!! "

Image - "Shake and Bake!!"
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#62 » by ADRajX » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:32 pm

On paper... that's one less team to worry about in the East... for the Magic's sake
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#63 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:35 pm

I'm not so sure why people aren't afraid of a Iverson/Hamilton/Prince backcourt.

Depending on how Iverson (and his new teammates) adjust, the situation could be even more problematic, or it could turn around and initiate a firesale in Detroit.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#64 » by EasternMagic » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:35 pm

Jameer is praising the Lord right now lol. It would be nice to meet Detroit in the playoffs and BEAT them
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#65 » by mhectorgato » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:41 pm

N4U|Redux wrote:I'm not so sure why people aren't afraid of a Iverson/Hamilton/Prince backcourt.

Warning Geek humour and analogy:

imo, The Pistons have a hub-spoke offensive topology. So they've taken our the the central switch with a fat backbone and replaced it with a 10mb hub. Any device downstream from the hub will have it's bandwidth neutered.

Back to the BB world.
imo, CB was a facilitator for the offense. You replace that part with a volume shooter, and the style of ball they've been playing for nearly a decade won't work nearly as well.

Unless, New Coach = New Style.

Additionally they lose so much on defensive end of the floor.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
BoricuaBoi
Senior
And1: 13

Post#66 » by BoricuaBoi » Mon Nov 3, 2008 10:49 pm

Halleluyah!Halleluyah! My prayers have been answerd! No MORE BILLUPS OR MCDYSASTER, the magics' chryptonite. Great trade for Denver though. Not so much for Detroit. Is AI gonna start at PG or is RIP comming off the bench?
Boston fans have Green asses and Brown noses! Right Stu?
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#67 » by NEM » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:19 pm

with our luck, we'll make the finals, and face denver lmao. i think we're the second best team in the east behind boston. AI isnt as notorious for killing the magic as CB1 is. also the problem with facing a bigger pg has just been solves unless they plan to use stuckey as their primary ball handler, which i don't foresee happening. jameer IMO can hold his own against AI, or at least more so than against billups. good trade for the magic. now let's get rip =]
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#68 » by MMFla » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:22 pm

I would think AI would start at the one and Stuckey would come off the bench, then AI can slide to the 2 when Stuckey comes in, unless Rip is traded.

The Pistons will be in the hunt for that big 2010 FA market with AI and Wallace's contracts ending this off season if they don't sign someone till then. This offseason I'd like to resign Hedo then try for Sheed, that to me would be a pretty good off season.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,214

Post#69 » by J-Mezzy » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:49 pm

McDyess might get waived and sign with Detroit anyways. Maybe another contender
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,133

Post#70 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Nov 3, 2008 11:55 pm

AI is great but he is mostly empty points. For the Magic, i like this trade. I would be really happy if we got McDyess as a FA. Dont know that we will go that much after him though but we should.
aka: prorl
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#71 » by Bensational » Tue Nov 4, 2008 12:56 am

man..... Otis should do whatever he can to bring McDyess into the fold!!

as for the Pistons, if they're angling for cap space, why are they also handing out all these extensions too? Amir and now Hamilton? i'm not sure what they're cap situation is, so i'm probably talking about a moot point, but seems odd. seems like Dumars is really angling to hand this team over to the youngsters (PF belongs to Johnson/Maxiell. PG belongs to Stuckey after this year).

but back to the point.... McDyess in O-town! get it done Otis.
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#72 » by SpaceCoastGator » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:03 am

A couple of things...

I felt bad for Billups (loyalty issues) before I realized he was going home...Denver is his hometown and played Colorado.

Read a bunch of stuff/analysis on this trade and I think it is good for both teams. It make take some time for Detroit to adjust, but I don't think this trade makes them especially less formitable in the playoffs, especially if McDyess ends up back in Detroit. Think about a small ball lineup with AI, Stuckey, Rip, Tay and Rasheed against Jameer, MP, Hedo, Rashard & D12.

I don't think that Dumars is making any other moves until he sees how AI works out (so it is crazy to say, 'lets get Rip or Tay')...if signs are positive - he takes this group to the playoffs. If it looks like it not going to work, then he may make another move, but unitl close to the trade deadline.

As much as Dumars is respected, I can't see any of the big names (Wade, Bosh, LeBron) going to Detroit in 2010...Dumars is smart (except for drafting Darko)...he has got young talent and some consistent very solid veterans...it will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#73 » by LiteHedded » Tue Nov 4, 2008 1:55 pm

iverson and dice are both on my fantasy team
I think this trade hurts me most of all
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#74 » by glennathan » Tue Nov 4, 2008 2:52 pm

If we somehow got McDyess to come to Orlando I think we just got the anchor for our team. Question is if we get McDyess would you start him or bring off the bench with Battie? Which lineup looks better?

PG- Nelson/Johnson
SG- Pietrus/Redick
SF- Lewis/Turkoglu
PF- McDyess/Cook
C- Howard/Battie

or

PG- Nelson/Johnson
SG- Pietrus/Redick
SF- Turkoglu/Bogans
PF- Lewis/McDyess
C- Howard/Battie
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
zeebneeb
RealGM
And1: 10,637

Post#75 » by zeebneeb » Tue Nov 4, 2008 2:53 pm

Well hey there guys! You know... This thread is like someone handing me a 10lbs brick of gold, that I cant use until around may.

You honestly think that giving up Billups(He's not even the one who killed you last year, you dopes)for former league mvp A.I. is somehow a bad trade?

Are you guys even hearing yourselfs?

You think that adding one player to a team that has been about team for 8years is going to somehow explode all that?

C'mon guys, start thinking realisticly, becuase I am already plannning on bringing this back from the dead later next year.
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#76 » by Just Plain Mark » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:06 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Well hey there guys! You know... This thread is like someone handing me a 10lbs brick of gold, that I cant use until around may.

You honestly think that giving up Billups(He's not even the one who killed you last year, you dopes)for former league mvp A.I. is somehow a bad trade?

You think that adding one player to a team that has been about team for 8years is going to somehow explode all that?

C'mon guys, start thinking realisticly, becuase I am already plannning on bringing this back from the dead later next year.

I appreciate your subtlety. Billups killed the Magic during the 06-07 regular season and playoffs, during the 07-08 regular season and likely would've done the same during the playoffs if he hadn't gotten injured. Plus, as others have noted, NBA basketball isn't like fantasy basketball - you don't just replace stats with stats. Billups, at least against the Magic, knew exactly who to feed the ball to and when to take the scoring load himself. If AI is so good as a former MVP, why is Denver trading him?
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#77 » by mhectorgato » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:19 pm

zeebneeb wrote:Well hey there guys! You know... This thread is like someone handing me a 10lbs brick of gold, that I cant use until around may.

This "one player"
Is he known as being a "team" player on offense? Or is he a volume shooter?
Is he known as a distributor? Or is he a volume shooter?
Is he known as a good defender?
Will he be able to replace the down low toughness and rebounding of McNugget (credit JAnderson on SportsCenter)?

This is not to minimize AI's abilities. It's about fit.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#78 » by CourtsideTV » Tue Nov 4, 2008 3:26 pm

Jameer can kind of guard A.I. He does a better job guarding A.I. than he does guarding billups. We can even throw Clee/Bogans/Pietrus on AI. Billups would torch them all without trying. No more buzzer beating 3's at the end of the 1st,2nd,3rd quarters from Billups. id ont know how billups did it everytime but he managed to destroy us every time he played us.
Work Hard
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#79 » by LiteHedded » Tue Nov 4, 2008 4:57 pm

i remember a game his rookie year where he got 7 steals on AI
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,145

Post#80 » by eyriq » Tue Nov 4, 2008 6:38 pm

lol, good luck with that! Somehow I doubt you'll be resurrecting this thread anytime soon, unless you're a sadist. :pityfool:

Return to Orlando Magic