ImageImageImageImage

Trade that is possible and makes us contenders

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Mannchild
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 272

Trade that is possible and makes us contenders 

Post#1 » by Mannchild » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:27 pm

Successful Trade Scenario
Congratulations on a successful trade.

Orlando Trade Breakdown
Incoming Players
Raymond Felton
Gerald Wallace

Outgoing Players
J.J. Redick
Brian Cook
Hedo Turkoglu

Charlotte Trade Breakdown

Incoming Players
J.J. Redick
Brian Cook
Hedo Turkoglu

Outgoing Players
Raymond Felton
Gerald Wallace

Nelson/Felton/Johnson
Pietrus/Bogans/Lee
Wallace/Lewis/Pietrus
Lewis/Battie/Gortat
Howard/Battie/Gortat
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Re: Trade that is possible and makes us contenders 

Post#2 » by zuppafly » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:50 pm

For one: Felton is not better than Nelson. He would not be the starter here. He would give us more depth at the PG spot, yes, but that's when he's not injured (around 10% of the season).
Secondly, I don't think Charlotte would deal Wallace to a team in the same division, and honestly, Wallace is overrated (and thats when he's not injured... around 10% of the season).

And another SF is not what the Magic need.
Mannchild
Magic Forum Mock Draft Co-Champ
And1: 272

Post#3 » by Mannchild » Fri Nov 7, 2008 2:55 pm

zuppafly wrote:

but not losing Hedo for nothing and getting 2 good players in return is exactly what they need IMO
MagicFan149
Pro Prospect
And1: 1

Post#4 » by MagicFan149 » Fri Nov 7, 2008 4:04 pm

i dont know what the cap situation would be after this but wallace just signed a new contract... i doubt the magic would finacially want to commit to something like this... although it improves our depth, rebounding and defense while taking a lil a way from shooting...

the magic will probably end up playing out the season with hedo ... then offering a below market offer for him... hopefully he stays .... but who knows
Summertime and the livin's easy....
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,114

Post#5 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Nov 7, 2008 5:43 pm

No way in hell Charlotte does this, and we'd be picking up two very injury prone guys. Plus, Wallace is already being shipped (don't know where yet) today.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,232

Post#6 » by eyriq » Fri Nov 7, 2008 5:58 pm

I'd love it to be honest. I think you are right about this increasing our chances of winning a title. Felton off the bench instead of AJ is a HUGE upgrade, and Wallace is a superstar in the making, bank on it. Having him and Peaches on the same team would just be utter CHAOS on defense.

My question would be how he'd fit in on offense. I've seen only a little bit of his play, and I know he is a high flier with a nice shot. Could Nelson/Felton be counted on to create enough shots for everyone with Hedo gone? Is Wallace good enough to create his own shots or shots for others?

Right now Dwight is slowly emerging as a playmaker. Nelson and Hedo carry the load currently.

I think I'm talking myself in circles!

Damn it, I make the trade! (doubt it happens though, but the package for Charlotte does create cap space.)
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#7 » by trebone » Fri Nov 7, 2008 8:00 pm

i would like it if hedo didnt do so much to facilitate our offense, if we could get rid of nelson for a pass 1st type pg who can actually make some plays then I am all for it
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#8 » by EasternMagic » Fri Nov 7, 2008 9:54 pm

why would charlotte do this
macdalejax
Senior
And1: 0

Post#9 » by macdalejax » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:17 am

EasternMagic wrote:why would charlotte do this

LOL...and why would we do this? Hedo is much better than anyone on the charlotte roster. I might consider it if we were certain we couldn't keep Hedo and it were near the trade deadline and this was one of our best offers. However, I think we could get value better than this for Hedo. Maybe I'm just a homer though.
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,216

Post#10 » by J-Mezzy » Sat Nov 8, 2008 4:28 am

I don't like it, but if it were to happen, it'd made more sense to play Wallace at the 4 position and not at the 3. Wallace is superior defender, shot blocker, rebounder , and more athletic than Lewis. I would move Lewis back to his natural position since he will be counted upon to score more with Hedo gone.

This trade leaves us with no reliable play maker. I don't like it.
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#11 » by RickB-Orlando » Sat Nov 8, 2008 11:45 am

Mannchild wrote:
zuppafly wrote:

but not losing Hedo for nothing and getting 2 good players in return is exactly what they need IMO

Actually, your thread subject was turning us into contenders, not preventing Hedo from walking for nothing.

This does not turn us into contenders, it merely swaps Hedo for another SF (one worse than Hedo IMHO) and a point that might be able to start over Nelson.
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#12 » by lovehoops01 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:44 am

EasternMagic wrote:why would charlotte do this

Because Larry Brown doesn't want Raymond Felton to be his starting point guard because he doesn't believe he is a playmaker and has put it out there rumor-wise almost since the day he got there and because Wallace and he (Brown) really don't appear on the exact same page either (he's not really the style of player that Brown likes).

Having said that, I have no idea what he thinks of the three Magic players you proposed sending to Charlotte. I can't say I like the deal for Orlando much either -- mostly because I don't think Felton is much of a playmaker either (another scorer, and an inconsistent one) and because we know that Wallace likes to do his scoring in the paint. Dwight already is there. Rashard has been playing there more. And then we'd have the situation where everyone is standing in the paint again and there is no room for Dwight to operate.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#13 » by Cammo101 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:51 am

This trade would make us considerably worse. Felton is worse than Jameer, and Wallace is substancially worse of a fit in our offense than Hedo. He can't shoot or facilitate. If we are going to move Hedo it needs to be for another playmaker type player and/or a true PF.

Charlotte should not do this either FWIW.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#14 » by MitchellUK » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:57 am

Gerald Wallace >/= Hedo.
Raymond Felton > Redick + Cook

No way Charlotte does it.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#15 » by Cammo101 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:12 am

MitchellUK wrote:Gerald Wallace >/= Hedo.
Raymond Felton > Redick + Cook

No way Charlotte does it.

I completely disagree with Wallace being greater than or equal to Hedo. Wallace does not do a quarter of the things Hedo does and he is hurt all the time. Wallace is a nice defender and decent slasher in the 45 or so games he plays every year. That IMO is not near what Hedo brings to the table.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#16 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Nov 10, 2008 1:14 am

Wallace if healthy >= Hedo.

Not for our system, but overall I'd say Gerald is the better player. Like you said though, he just won't stay healthy.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"

Return to Orlando Magic