ImageImageImageImage

OT: 2010 Off Season of craziness

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

OT: 2010 Off Season of craziness 

Post#1 » by glennathan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:30 am

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/stor ... ents-09-10

So I found a list of all of the free agents that will be on the market for the insane off season for 2010. I saw 5 names in particular I think we would have a shot at going for but I wanna see what everyone else comes up with.

First is our roster we will have in 2010 not including draft picks or trades and assuming we resign Hedo.

Rashard Lewis
Dwight Howard
Hedo Turkoglu
Mickeal Pietrus
Jameer Nelson
JJ Redick
Courtney Lee

Now here is a list of all of the big name players that are available for the pickings in 2010.

PG - T.J. Ford, Steve Nash, Dwayne Wade

SG - Joe Johnson, Ray Allen, Tracy McGrady, Micheal Redd, Mike Miller, Manu Ginobli,
DeShawn Stevenson, Raja Bell

SF - Paul Pierce, LeBron James, Josh Howard, Richard Jefferson, Peja Stojakovic,
Travis Outlaw

PF - Dirk Nowitzki, Kenyon Martin, Udonis Haslem, Amar'e Stoudamire, Chris Bosh

C - Yao Ming, Marcus Camby, Tyson Chandler, Shaquille O'Neal

The names above that are Highlighted are the names of the players I think we would have the best shot at going for in the run. Below I have explained why.

Dwayne Wade - I think that he will be leaving Miami. If Otis can convice the owners to go into the tax and try for Wade it would be a huge boost for the team to have Wade and Howard on the same squad.

Tracy McGrady - There is a lot of tension here between Orlando and Tracy. At this point if Tracy has not gotten out of the first round then I believe he will want to leave and go to a team that has a shot. He would be welcomed back in my bood especially if we tagged him for the vet minimum.

Udonis Haslem - Great player and a solid Power Foward. He is currently playing out of position in Miami and if he was to leave then I think Otis would definitely take a look at him next to Dwight. People on here have been saying to go after him during the off season.

Chris Bosh - I remember reading somewhere that he wanted to play with Dwight in Orlando. He would definitely be a nice compliment to Howard and is not going to be in the paint to long to mess with Dwight's spacing.

Marcis Camby - At this point in his career could be a nice vet backup center and could possibly be had for a cheap price.

Essentially I just want to see everyone opinions on this and see what everyone thinks about our future. You may or maynot agree with what I have said but all I know is that it will be an interesting free agency draft at that time.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
Duradero
Pro Prospect
And1: 134

Re: OT: 2010 Off Season of craziness 

Post#2 » by Duradero » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:04 am

all aboard the pipedream express!
UCFknight84
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#3 » by UCFknight84 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:14 am

*throws eggs at the pipedream express*
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
Teddy Roosevelt
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#4 » by glennathan » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:00 am

macsquad wrote:all aboard the pipedream express!

why is this the pipedream express? Are you saying that we do not have a shot at anyone on that list? not even one player?
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#5 » by NEM » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:24 am

t-mac for the MLE!
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
CourtsideTV
RealGM
And1: 349

Post#6 » by CourtsideTV » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:53 am

RawLewD12 wrote:t-mac for the MLE!

he will be retired.
Work Hard
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Dome » Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:21 pm

CourtsideTV wrote:
RawLewD12 wrote:t-mac for the MLE!

he will be retired.

Either that, or he'll be playing every now and then and be a main topic of discussion in the news because of his injury woes, before shutting down near the end of the season in case the team's playoff chances appear to be worse than originally projected while cashing up a nice big check every year.

Wait, did T-Mac turn into Grant Hill? :lol:
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#8 » by trebone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:37 pm

Mcgrady will be in a wheelchair by then, I could see haslem, and maybe any of the lower level guys, but the "big name" players like bosh, lbj, wade will not be coming to orlando for less than max contracts, and the front office will prob not go into the lux tax. But I will jump on the pipedream express and ride it till we sign someones old beat up player or a scrub which is most likely to happen
J-Mezzy
RealGM
And1: 3,218

Post#9 » by J-Mezzy » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:44 pm

Meh, only player we'd have a shot at is McGrady, but he'll be old and beat up.

The other big names are looking for max contracts, and unless we get rid of Lewis, we have no shot to get them
Thank you triplemke23 for the sig.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#10 » by MitchellUK » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:35 pm

glennathan wrote:

why is this the pipedream express? Are you saying that we do not have a shot at anyone on that list? not even one player?

Not unless we make significant moves between now and then. That season we will be paying Shard $20m, Dwight $16m, Jameer close to $7m, Lee just over $1m and Peaches around $5m. That's $49m locked in right there. If that is all we have committed going into that summer, we may have a shot at some of the second tier free agents, but it is doubtful, because their own teams will all be able to pay them more than the roughly $10m or so we would have free.

We have four role players (Johnson, Cook, Battie and Redick) who become free agents that summer, which means that currently we have 9 guys under contract for the 2009/2010 season. Unless Otis' 1) Doesn't re-sign Hedo next summer, and simply lets him walk, and 2) Fills the roster out next year with single year contract players, we won't even be that $10m under the cap.

Let me ask you - how happy will you be with this Magic lineup in 2009/10? Because that is what will have to happen if we are to be any kind of player in the 2010 free agent sweepstakes.

Howard/Min FA/Rookie 1
Battie/Cook/Min FA
Lewis/Lee/Rookie 2
Peaches/Redick/Min FA
Meer/Johson/Min FA

Personally I think we would be way better off either re-signing or trading Hedo for legit pieces (depending on his demands and what we can get in return), and keeping our team strong in the short term. Then, when the 2010 craziness does come around, let the majority of the rest of the league pre-occupy themselves with the idea that they may be able to pry James, Bosh, Wade or Stoudemire away, whilst we use the MLE to get a top quality role player. I don't know how probable this is, but look at a guy like Tyson Chandler. He's going to be an afterthought to most teams that summer. If NO choose to not re-sign him, he's not going to get more than the MLE on the open market. And that is the same for the majority of the free agent class that season - because everyone wants to go after the superstars, the rest of the guys are going to struggle to get paid unless they have nerves of steel and are prepared to wait until the dust has settled elsewhere.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#11 » by EasternMagic » Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:55 pm

Chris Bosh would be amazing
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,417

Post#12 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:46 pm

i'm so sick of this 2010 crap. We haven't even gotten to the 2009 free agency period and people are blowing their loads over 2010. I realize it's going to be a big deal, but it's nearly TWO YEARS AWAY.

I'd rather enjoy watching this team and see if we have any shot at a Championship then worry about the summer of 2010.
Max Power
Head Coach
And1: 1,204

Post#13 » by Max Power » Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:58 pm

I applaud you UCFJay, I agree 100 percent. Thats a long way off, and in all likelyhood we won't have that money anyway. I'm looking forward to the Magic winning a ring in the meantime.
You look confused...let me fill you in.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#14 » by trebone » Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:29 pm

agreed max wait till then to start all the talk, lets have a chip by then and everyone will want to play for the magicians!
Bigmagicfan82
Starter
And1: 343

Post#15 » by Bigmagicfan82 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:31 pm

glennathan wrote:

As it relates to D. Wade, T-Mac, and Bosh my only question to you is... with what money? None of those there are going to sign for the MLE. That is all Orlando has. So those players are a pipedream. Haslem and Camby we may have a shot at (more Haslem then Camby). It will all depend how Orlando does this year and next year.
east/beastD-12
Banned User

Post#16 » by east/beastD-12 » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:43 pm

MitchellUK wrote:
glennathan wrote:

Not unless we make significant moves between now and then. That season we will be paying Shard $20m, Dwight $16m, Jameer close to $7m, Lee just over $1m and Peaches around $5m. That's $49m locked in right there. If that is all we have committed going into that summer, we may have a shot at some of the second tier free agents, but it is doubtful, because their own teams will all be able to pay them more than the roughly $10m or so we would have free.

We have four role players (Johnson, Cook, Battie and Redick) who become free agents that summer, which means that currently we have 9 guys under contract for the 2009/2010 season. Unless Otis' 1) Doesn't re-sign Hedo next summer, and simply lets him walk, and 2) Fills the roster out next year with single year contract players, we won't even be that $10m under the cap.

Let me ask you - how happy will you be with this Magic lineup in 2009/10? Because that is what will have to happen if we are to be any kind of player in the 2010 free agent sweepstakes.

Howard/Min FA/Rookie 1
Battie/Cook/Min FA
Lewis/Lee/Rookie 2
Peaches/Redick/Min FA
Meer/Johson/Min FA

Personally I think we would be way better off either re-signing or trading Hedo for legit pieces (depending on his demands and what we can get in return), and keeping our team strong in the short term. Then, when the 2010 craziness does come around, let the majority of the rest of the league pre-occupy themselves with the idea that they may be able to pry James, Bosh, Wade or Stoudemire away, whilst we use the MLE to get a top quality role player. I don't know how probable this is, but look at a guy like Tyson Chandler. He's going to be an afterthought to most teams that summer. If NO choose to not re-sign him, he's not going to get more than the MLE on the open market. And that is the same for the majority of the free agent class that season - because everyone wants to go after the superstars, the rest of the guys are going to struggle to get paid unless they have nerves of steel and are prepared to wait until the dust has settled elsewhere.

Wow Min FA plays four different positions.
MitchellUK
RealGM

Post#17 » by MitchellUK » Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:48 pm

east/beastD-12 wrote:Wow Min FA plays four different positions.

They're talented guys, don't know why more people don't sign them..... :D
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#18 » by SpaceCoastGator » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:01 am

Was DeShawn Stevenson really on that orginal list? Chandler for MLE - I don't think so. No money - we will not be players unless a superstar demands a trade (to Orlando), the team feels that he will walk away and feel forced to accept Rashard Lewis and other goodies as the best they can get.

It will be MLE talent that hopefully fits.
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#19 » by OrlandoMagic » Sun Nov 30, 2008 3:09 pm

List of players I think we could have a shot at

Steve Nash, Mike Miller, Travis Outlaw, Dirk Nowitzki, Udonis Haslem....
MitchellUK
RealGM

Post#20 » by MitchellUK » Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:46 pm

SpaceCoastGator wrote:Was DeShawn Stevenson really on that orginal list? Chandler for MLE - I don't think so. No money - we will not be players unless a superstar demands a trade (to Orlando), the team feels that he will walk away and feel forced to accept Rashard Lewis and other goodies as the best they can get.

It will be MLE talent that hopefully fits.

Don't be so sure. I was using him as an example more than anything, and it is unlikely, but it still remains that if New Orleans decide they don't want to resign him, he is going to be completely priced down by having the likes of James, Bosh, Stoudemire and Wade on the market. Any team with money is going to be chasing those guys and ignoring guys like Chandler, Haslem and co.

It's basic economics, supply and demand - if players like Chandler end up on the market at the same time as superior, all-NBA talent, their own asking price must drop to force a sale. Better quality products are available, and the inferior products subsequently drop in value.

Return to Orlando Magic