ImageImageImageImage

POLL: Official Marcin"Warlock/Polish Hammer" Gortat thread..

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

What would you like Marcin Gortat official nickname to be ??

The Warlock
59%
The Polish Hammer
41%

Total votes: 32

surflawyer
Analyst
And1: 19
Location: I love being on everyones IGNORE List ... no one ever disagrees with me ....

Re: The official Marcin "The Warlock" Gortat thread.... 

Post#21 » by surflawyer » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:42 pm

Gortat flat out BALLED last night. There is no excuse not to play him until he drops dead of exhaustion. Play him at C with Dwight at PF. Bring him off the bench at C with Battie at the PF position. I don't care!!!! I would like to know who is schooling him in the pick and roll/pop. He flat out played it well and really opened the floor to our athletes to succeed.

* he waits for the trade Howard thread. :wink: *
"The first thing we need to do is kill all the attorneys."

William Shakespeare
happypedro12
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#22 » by happypedro12 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:45 pm

Yea I could only watch the first half but Gortat looked good out there. I dunno about a starter, but def. a legit 2nd unit big. I like the idea of Gortat AND battie out there at the same time, that way we could eat up the boards while Dwight was resting. I didn't think he would have a double-double but like someone said before, he is more athletic that I gave him credit for. Good to see C. Lee have another good game too.
Whether you think you CAN or you think you CAN'T, you're right.
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 333

Post#23 » by trebone » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:19 pm

warlock is great, everyone was always saying he just needed a little pt, and he is doing te exact opposite of JJ
The Favero
Pro Prospect

Post#24 » by The Favero » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:33 pm

HAMMER WINS!!!
Crazy homeless woman "do you see all this blood on my jacket?? all this blood on my jacket!!"
Big Baby politely responds "have a nice night, mam"
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#25 » by craig01 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:52 pm

The "Polish Hammer" begins it's inception on realgm.

And by a landslide vote of 1-0.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#26 » by TheRevTy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Warlock actually has a story behind it. Back when we got his rights and they were looking to bring him here for the summer league, the O-Zone message board had a Polish guy post an article that was translated using Babbelfish. It talked about how Gortat was so excited to come over, and that he couldn't wait to be a Warlock (Magic). Everytime the article referred to the Magic, it translated it Warlock.

As a side note, it also said he was training with bears, but I can't remember what it actually meant. I'll try and find a link.

Nonetheless, Warlock is a great nickname.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#27 » by MagicMadness » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:59 pm

What I really like about Gortat is that he didn't look like he was getting his stats by fluke chance. He really does appear to be a skilled big man, not a stiff.

He moves down the court well and is quick to guard guys who come in the paint. When watching him, you can tell that he "knows what he's doing" unlike some past 7-footers (Steven Hunter, for example).
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,114

Post#28 » by AdamTheGreek » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:11 pm

You can all thank Brendan Malone, he's basically Marcin's father here.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
huge4
Senior

Post#29 » by huge4 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:32 pm

A big knock against the Magic this whole season has been our lack of bench. Well, I think we've seen a few examples this season that it should be more a knock on Van Gundy for not playing our bench, not that our bench isn't talented enough. Gortat is a stud.

I totally agree with DFlight's second unit. Gortat and Battie at the 4 & 5 compliment each other's style and dominate other 2nd units. Marcin and Dwight are too similar to play at length together.

BTW, when Marcin was on the Dante & Galante internet show, he mentioned his knicknames, bringing up both "The Warlock" and "The Polish Hammer", but Warlock was the first one he said so I'm going with...

Warlock +1
“There are maybe a handful of players in the history of the NBA who could’ve made that play.”
-Spurs play-by-play after Dwight posterized Duncan for the game winner
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#30 » by MagicMadness » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Was he always "The Polish Hammer" though, or did the message boards give him the nickname?

I can't remember. Did the Magic players nickname him that or what? Anyone remember the story?
DrunkOnMystery
Starter

Post#31 » by DrunkOnMystery » Tue Dec 16, 2008 4:46 pm

Swish14
Junior

Post#32 » by Swish14 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:32 pm

Great game for Marcin last night. He'll definitely get more minutes when Dwight returns.

So you know what this means... Adonal Foyle's butt will be glued to the bench. Addition by subtraction!
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,906

Post#33 » by drsd » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:56 pm

wilt wrote:7,8 only ? I could swear that at some point in Germany he was regularly fouling out in 10-15 minutes so 7,8 per 40 in the NBA isn´t too bad ;) Seriously, i would have never thought that he could get a DD in an actual NBA game, very surprised about his development. But i´m glad for him, he was on of my favourite players back in germany, although some of it was because of unintentional comedy like jumping mascots in a dunk contest and land on his belly :)

@ drsd : You don´t happen to know the guy doing that insane dunk in your profile picture ? Or have a youtube link to it ? That´s just awesome !

1) I have watched quite a few games of Gortat in Cologne. Yes he was wild defensively. But in Basketball Bundesliga (BBL), it's OK for a PF to play this way. (Yes he was, and should be, a PF).

2) Abdoul Bamba: YouTube Link

This is the best cartwheel dunk I have seen from Abdoul Bamba:
Cartwheel dunk Link

Abdoul Bamba is part of Slam Nation and is an excellent entertainer (and friend of Pietrus).
The Favero
Pro Prospect

Post#34 » by The Favero » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:57 pm

MagicMadness wrote:Was he always "The Polish Hammer" though, or did the message boards give him the nickname?

I can't remember. Did the Magic players nickname him that or what? Anyone remember the story?

I will not take credit by any means because I'm sure someone else came up with it totally independently of myself, but I started calling him "the polish hammer" on my own without reading it anywhere. As a matter of fact, I did it the same day he officially made the roster last year and then I made the following pic:

Crazy homeless woman "do you see all this blood on my jacket?? all this blood on my jacket!!"
Big Baby politely responds "have a nice night, mam"
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#35 » by Nemesis21 » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:10 pm

Hell of a game by the Polish Hammer! and nice game from Spider Man aka Courtney Lee
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#36 » by MagicMadness » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:24 pm

lol

I don't remember that pic. Awesome.
heavyjay
Junior

Post#37 » by heavyjay » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:31 pm

I've been very, very impressed with the Warlock the past couple of games. If you would have asked me last week, I would have been happy if Marcin simply played well enough not to lose the game for us. He has TOTALLY exceeded my expectations. 13 pts, 9 rb at HALFTIME? Those are Dwight-like numbers. As a matter of fact, I might even go so far as to say the team has played better with a healthy Gortat than with a banged-up Dwight at times this season.

If I were Otis, I'd pull a Rays-Evan Longoria type deal and lock him up cheap for the next 5 years. He's going to be that good. At this point I consider him a core player along with Jameer, Dwight & Rashard.
My 2 favorite NBA teams:

1) Orlando Magic
2) Whoever is playing the Celtics
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,935

Post#38 » by Last Guardian » Tue Dec 16, 2008 8:58 pm

I think he and Dwight will team up in the starting lineup eventually. Tough to say who would play PF though. All I know is that is a lot of size, length and athleticism. We'd kill the boards every night and easily block the most shots in the league.

Gortat just has to get some decent minutes for now, and develop the jumpshot and learn not to foul as much.
paperboymafia
Analyst
And1: 636

Post#39 » by paperboymafia » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:04 pm

Gortats potential is huge, and hes showing us signs of it.

Think about it, this was his second big mins game and just destroys the stat sheet...that is impressive.

Gortat+Dwight in the futur on the floor together would be scary as hell for opposing teams.
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer

Post#40 » by Diehardmagicfan » Tue Dec 16, 2008 9:15 pm

Gortat would be a huge boost for us off the bench for us just needs to get those minutes from SVG.

Return to Orlando Magic