ImageImageImageImage

OT: Did the celtics mess up in summer 07

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

OT: Did the celtics mess up in summer 07 

Post#1 » by NEM » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:48 pm

obviously it brought them another ring, but to get it they had to unload of a lot of assets, think about it, they got rid of al jefferson, number 5 pick (jeff green), ryan gomes, delonte west, and sebastian telfair just so they can have 2 or 3 good years before rebuilding again. the reason i ask is because i read the same thing on the celtics board, and it got me thinking.

imo a roster of:

rondo/west/telfair
szczerbiak/allen/pruitt
pierce/gomes
green/powe/davis
jefferson/perkins/scalabrine

has a lot more depth and would have been a good legit team for about 6 or 7 years as opposed to the one they have now, thats gonna be good for this year and drop off next season... think about, jefferson is already better than kg. szczerbiak becomes a trade asset to bring in another 2, and perkins goes to the bench where he should be. green is a youngster who will be an all star...

idk, but am i the only one who thinks what ainge did was only a quick fix, and that they will be in rebuilding mode in a year or 2.

we set ourselves up nicely for the future with dwight/jameer/pietrus/lee/ and even rashard who is like 28 or so and has another 5 seasons in him.... hedo you take or leave, we also have gortat who will be a potential starter in the future, with solid vets like battie and bogans to come off the bench
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
lapassione
Rookie
And1: 0

Re: OT: Did the celtics mess up in summer 07 

Post#2 » by lapassione » Thu Jan 8, 2009 11:52 pm

a ring was worth a few years of crap team after that.
they risked it and they got the reward.
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,418

Post#3 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:13 am

yea you ask any team if they'd be ok with 5 years of mediocrity for a ring and they'd say YES, ABSOLUTELY.

20 years and the Magic haven't won one. There are teams that haven't won a championship in 30 years. They'd give up a decade of being one of the worst teams if it meant netting a championship.
minimoe
Sixth Man

Post#4 » by minimoe » Fri Jan 9, 2009 12:18 am

Actually ask any team if anything would be worth it and you would get a yes.. teams would do ANYTHING for a ring.. thats what its all about
There will be life after Dwight.

Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,404

Post#5 » by Bensational » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:29 am

RawLewD12 wrote:obviously it brought them another ring, but to get it they had to unload of a lot of assets, think about it, they got rid of al jefferson, number 5 pick (jeff green), ryan gomes, delonte west, and sebastian telfair just so they can have 2 or 3 good years before rebuilding again. the reason i ask is because i read the same thing on the celtics board, and it got me thinking.

imo a roster of:

rondo/west/telfair
szczerbiak/allen/pruitt
pierce/gomes
green/powe/davis

has a lot more depth and would have been a good legit team for about 6 or 7 years as opposed to the one they have now, thats gonna be good for this year and drop off next season... think about, jefferson is already better than kg. szczerbiak becomes a trade asset to bring in another 2, and perkins goes to the bench where he should be. green is a youngster who will be an all star...

idk, but am i the only one who thinks what ainge did was only a quick fix, and that they will be in rebuilding mode in a year or 2.

we set ourselves up nicely for the future with dwight/jameer/pietrus/lee/ and even rashard who is like 28 or so and has another 5 seasons in him.... hedo you take or leave, we also have gortat who will be a potential starter in the future, with solid vets like battie and bogans to come off the bench

ok... let's just paint a picture:

end of 06/07 season
Boston (24-58) - with Jefferson, Telfair and all the youth...
Minnesota (32-50) - with KG
Seattle (31-51) - with Ray Ray

end of 07/08 season
Boston (66-16) - a Championship with KG and Ray Ray
Minnesota (22-60) - with Jefferson, Telfair and all that other youthful talent
Seattle (20 - 62) - with Green

08/09 season
Boston (29-8) - fresh off a championship ring and a 22 win streak
Minnesota (10-25) - Jefferson putting up big numbers, but they're struggling to win
Oklahoma (5-31) - Jeff Green is a major disappointment, and this team is a long way off challenging for a playoff spot.

basically, can you see how much success that youthful talent Boston was farming has brought to any other team?

it may be a short term contending situation, but at least they're contending. how soon do you think Minny and Ok-c will be competing for a title?

the difference is when a team learns to cut its losses and trade its aging pieces before they hit the point of no return. Detroit is doing a good job of rebuilding whilst remaining a competitive team. the big test for Ainge will come when Boston loses its edge.
Devin 1L
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 956

Post#6 » by Devin 1L » Fri Jan 9, 2009 1:46 am

In my opinion, no, not at all.

Not only did they get one ring -- that's enough right there -- they've likely got a good shot again this year and the next with the core they have.
ezmac2
Junior
And1: 1

Post#7 » by ezmac2 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:29 am

Well I agree it was worth it.
BUT and its a big but, They still have Rondo and Perkins then Giddens (who I'm high on) and Walker who were at one time potential top 5 picks. And Pruitt seems to be coming along nicely. All solid role players possibly.
TMU
Forum Mod - Rockets
Forum Mod - Rockets
And1: 10,411

Post#8 » by TMU » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:35 am

They won a championship after that off-season. So no.
However, he did screw up this past off-season: summer '08.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 1

Post#9 » by Dome » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:46 am

They won the championship... How is this even a discussion? :dontknow:

I think it's kindof ironic some people have fallen in love with (re)building so much that it becomes priority over winning at times. Not every champion needs to be a dynasty.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,554

Post#10 » by SOUL » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:48 am

I'd kill to have a ring.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#11 » by damo[23] » Fri Jan 9, 2009 10:57 am

If your GM ever makes moves that gains you a championship with the year, its always one of the best moves he could do, he could only do better if he sets up a dynasty.

I mean look at Miami, they won a 'ship, and pretty much fell straight away after that, yet I bet none of them wish they hadnt have got Shaq or made certain moves after that - built hopes on wade and oldies etc...

Thing is Boston traded up from being one of the worst teams in the NBA - and would have been for a while longer, to getting a 'ship, and as we've seen, on top of their proud history its also quite an arogant franchise, they'd rather reign supreme for a couple of years than suck for another 5 or 6 and maybe start working into the playoff picture.
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,115

Post#12 » by AdamTheGreek » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:42 pm

Soul wrote:I'd kill to have a ring.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#13 » by DHoward4Mvp » Fri Jan 9, 2009 4:55 pm

Dome wrote:They won the championship... How is this even a discussion? :dontknow:

I think it's kindof ironic some people have fallen in love with (re)building so much that it becomes priority over winning at times. Not every champion needs to be a dynasty.

Exactly!!!!! Did they mess up??? haha what kind of question is that. They won a flippin ring. Horrible question.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#14 » by EasternMagic » Fri Jan 9, 2009 5:58 pm

as soon as you said obviously it got them a ring you answered your own question
eyriq
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 6,240

Post#15 » by eyriq » Fri Jan 9, 2009 6:18 pm

AdamTheGreek wrote:
Soul wrote:I'd kill to have a ring.
taruky1
Sixth Man
And1: 27

Post#16 » by taruky1 » Fri Jan 9, 2009 7:53 pm

RawLewD12 wrote:obviously it brought them another ring, but to get it they had to unload of a lot of assets, think about it, they got rid of al jefferson, number 5 pick (jeff green), ryan gomes, delonte west, and sebastian telfair just so they can have 2 or 3 good years before rebuilding again. the reason i ask is because i read the same thing on the celtics board, and it got me thinking.

imo a roster of:

rondo/west/telfair
szczerbiak/allen/pruitt
pierce/gomes
green/powe/davis

A bit harsh, don't you think? If Hedo stays he can be a positive in the Magic's future as well. You do realize he is only 5 months older than Lewis?
heavyjay
Junior

Post#17 » by heavyjay » Fri Jan 9, 2009 9:17 pm

That's question is so easily answered, it's hardly worth answering. The imagined Celtics team you put up would have been luck to ever reach .500 for the next 10 years. The team they got won a championship, kept Paul Pierce in town, renewed the fan base, and might possibly win another 1-2 championships.

If anything, it's damned-near collusion. Kevin Mchale (who coincidentally is a legendary Celtic player) makes arguably one of the worst trades in NBA history by sending a hall-of-famer in exchanges for a marginal all-star and other untested, useless players. Seattle also traded an incredible talent in Allen for again, complete garbage.

So, to say the Celtics made a mistake is like saying the Bulls made a mistake in drafting Michael Jordan. I don't think so.
My 2 favorite NBA teams:

1) Orlando Magic
2) Whoever is playing the Celtics
golfreak
Rookie
And1: 91

Post#18 » by golfreak » Fri Jan 9, 2009 11:44 pm

This thread is beyond moronic.
This team probably can't even get past the first round:
rondo/west/telfair
szczerbiak/allen/pruitt
pierce/gomes
green/powe/davis

Where as the current team already won a championship and will contend for 1 at least in the next 2 years. And will still be a winning team even after the big 3 are past their prime.
Why is this even a question ??
Anyone who say it wasn't worth it need to stop following the NBA.

Return to Orlando Magic