ImageImageImageImage

Hoopshype Article: Magic "Drawing attention"

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Hoopshype Article: Magic "Drawing attention" 

Post#1 » by magicfan4life05 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 1:35 am

http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/johnso ... attention/

My readers all know that I am a Phoenix Suns fan and I have never wandered from that thought, but there are a few teams that I love to watch when I am not working or watching a Suns game.

The Cleveland Cavaliers and the Atlanta Hawks jump to my mind right away, but the Orlando Magic right now is my team of choice. The Magic are sitting in the best position of any team at the top. Everyone’s attention is centered on the great starts of the Lakers(31-6), Cavaliers(30-6) and Celtics(31-9), but Orlando is sitting at 31-8 and winners of 5 straight games.

towards the end...

It is a fact the Magic will eventually be a top three seed in the East, but which number will depend on their head to head match-ups with Cleveland and Boston in which they are 0-1 (Boston) so far this season.

What I can say is that I love watching their energy and versatility. I love their dumpy coach and I have always been a fan of Superman even if the original son of Jor-El (Shaq) is still playing.

"Now, that's what I like to call... a little R-E-S-P-E-C-T!!"
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
maginno
Banned User
And1: 1

Re: Hoopshype Article: Magic "Drawing attention" 

Post#2 » by maginno » Thu Jan 15, 2009 2:06 am

Hey! thats no respect. Whats with this?

I love their dumpy coach
:lol:

Don't be puttin down my coach like that.
christian72589
Banned User

Post#3 » by christian72589 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:21 am

MY COACH IS caaaaasual not dumpy.... beeeeeeeeoootch!! :D
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#4 » by AdamTheGreek » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:41 am

I love their dumpy coach

More cushion for the pushin', bitches.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#5 » by SOUL » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:23 am

We do have a pretty loveable team, people just hate our fans though..

teehee.
maginno
Banned User

Post#6 » by maginno » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:10 pm

Soul wrote:We do have a pretty loveable team, people just hate our fans though..

teehee.

I concur. Our fans tend to be rather obnoxious whenever there is any critique or dissent of the team or anyone connected to it both on this board (especially) and on other boards. They routinely go looking for boards to troll on but its hard not to like Dwight, Little Jameer and Hedo. If JJ becomes even more a part of this team you can expect a little bit more hate too. Some college followers still foam at the mouth at the mere mention of his name.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#7 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:30 pm

Actually the hate for the Magic fans started well before you joined this board maginno.

It started around 2005 / 2006 [especially, where it became really wide spread], and was namely during the offseasons, its also where the Toronto vs Orlando board rivalry was born [with alot, and I mean daily, threads about Bosh vs Howard].

There was a couple of fans on the general board, 1 banned and I believe 1 just doesnt post now, that basically were abrassive to anyone that spoke about the Magic. From then on the general board, and in part other RealGM'ers have treated the Magic posters with a large ammount of disrespect, not because of what they post, but because of who they support.

It was a large brush that tarnished us all.

Recently we have had a couple of posters demanding respect on the general boards, and it did get out of hand, but on the flip side, any other Magic poster that posted on the issue was brought instantly down to their level just because of the zip code of their basketball team.

As for trolling, we actually dont have any real "high watch" troll posters, where as a couple of other fan bases do, infact I am sure if I name a team you could tell me 1 poster that I've warned.

As an organisation we are hated by alot of people, but its not our fans, its the actions of 3 or 4 posters over the past years that have effectivily spoiled it for the lot of us.

This is a pretty defensive board, dont get me wrong, but generally people who are quite negative [myself and blitz] keep it to ourselves, where as super negative posters [the ones that we ONLY see posting on negative issues, never on the "good times"] generally get a bad showing. We have very few fair weather fans, but we have alot of "theres a storm coming" posters.
Dome
Retired Mod
Retired Mod

Post#8 » by Dome » Thu Jan 15, 2009 7:19 pm

damo[23] wrote:Actually the hate for the Magic fans started well before you joined this board maginno.

It started around 2005 / 2006 [especially, where it became really wide spread], and was namely during the offseasons, its also where the Toronto vs Orlando board rivalry was born [with alot, and I mean daily, threads about Bosh vs Howard].

I honestly think the board rivalry started basically when T-Mac joined the Magic, actually. That was really what lit a fire under some Raps fans. I can still remember al the hateful messages Raps fans would post whenever they played the Magic, and the Magic fans obviously replying to that. When the Magic drafted comparisons to Bosh immediately were formed because of it though.

There was a couple of fans on the general board, 1 banned and I believe 1 just doesnt post now, that basically were abrassive to anyone that spoke about the Magic. From then on the general board, and in part other RealGM'ers have treated the Magic posters with a large ammount of disrespect, not because of what they post, but because of who they support.

It was a large brush that tarnished us all.

Recently we have had a couple of posters demanding respect on the general boards, and it did get out of hand, but on the flip side, any other Magic poster that posted on the issue was brought instantly down to their level just because of the zip code of their basketball team.

As for trolling, we actually dont have any real "high watch" troll posters, where as a couple of other fan bases do, infact I am sure if I name a team you could tell me 1 poster that I've warned.

As an organisation we are hated by alot of people, but its not our fans, its the actions of 3 or 4 posters over the past years that have effectivily spoiled it for the lot of us.

This is a pretty defensive board, dont get me wrong, but generally people who are quite negative [myself and blitz] keep it to ourselves, where as super negative posters [the ones that we ONLY see posting on negative issues, never on the "good times"] generally get a bad showing. We have very few fair weather fans, but we have alot of "theres a storm coming" posters.

I very much agree. Most of our opinions on fanbases is built on experiences we've collected in the years from reading eachothers posts. The ones that stand out the most stick with you, which unfortunately often are the posts that irritate the living crap out of you. :lol:

If that comes from 1 poster, people will usually look at him as an individual. If there's two, it will start to reflect on the rest of the fanbase. The more posters do this, the more negative a fanbase will be viewed. If it's the actions of 3-4 posters, in a lot of cases people will just generalize (be it a little bit too quick) to the entire fanbase, and say 'Magic fan's are homers' and such.

There's nothing you can do about it, really, except for handling yourself with some class to set a good example. Panic posts will spread more panic/stress to those who are easily affected by it, and it could spread like a wildfire. One panic post in a sea of mellower ones doesn't do much, but the other way around either.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#9 » by craig01 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 10:56 pm

I don't think SVG is "dumpy".

"Frumpy" maybe, but not dumpy.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,874

Post#10 » by Last Guardian » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:10 pm

Magic fan hate started before the Howard vs. Bosh stuff. It actually started when we went at it with Houston fans over the T-Mac trade. It went back and forth between Magic fans calling T-Mac a loser and quitter, and Houston fans saying we had a horrible GM and couldn't put any quality around him. Obviously, since it was the Magic who were the horrible team, everyone took HOU side and labeled Magic fans as babies and betrayers of superstars. I of course had no such part in those meaningless bash fests.

Now, a few like to rub in the success we have been having. Now its mainly CLE bashing us, except their fans are doing exacty the same thing.
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#11 » by damo[23] » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:36 pm

Oh yeah forgot to put in that bit about the T-Mac stuff actually lol.

That was a fun summer - but was before I was a mod lol.
maginno
Banned User

Post#12 » by maginno » Fri Jan 16, 2009 12:07 am

Solid Snake wrote:s. I of course had no such part in those meaningless bash fests.

lol. I appreciate the honesty of the green. I don't know I suppose I may just notice it more from a magic fan but it seems we have had more posters with trade proposals in other teams board more than any other fan base. We even tried to shove a jj trade for critt trade . Anyway some of it is all in good fun . The tmac thing must have been fun. :D

Return to Orlando Magic