ImageImageImageImage

The Weisbrod trashers

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

Optimus_Steel
RealGM
And1: 11,150

Re: The Weisbrod trashers 

Post#21 » by Optimus_Steel » Mon Feb 2, 2009 11:11 pm

I always thought that the moves for Brian Hill and Donovan were made more by the front office more than anyone else. At each time the team needed postive publicity and both those guys brought that. It always to me smelled like ownership moves even though I dont have any facts to back it up.
aka: prorl
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#22 » by craig01 » Mon Feb 2, 2009 11:24 pm

prorl wrote:I always thought that the moves for Brian Hill and Donovan were made more by the front office more than anyone else. At each time the team needed postive publicity and both those guys brought that. It always to me smelled like ownership moves even though I dont have any facts to back it up.

Probably
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
sportsrock37
Starter
And1: 233

Post#23 » by sportsrock37 » Tue Feb 3, 2009 2:39 am

Bensational wrote:
sportsrock37 wrote:It's still the front office's choice. They are responsible for offering him the job. I can't blame Weisbrod for taking it.

why not? i'm not absolving the front office of their screw up, but just because you 'can' do something, doesn't mean you have to. Weis' arrogance lead him to believe he could put a team together in a sport that he didn't even understand. the team he put together sucked at the time. the centre-piece of that team, Francis, deteroriated quickly. What Weis did with the team wasn't successful.

Just because Otis and SVG could turn that around, doesn't mean Weis was a good GM.

sportsrock37 wrote:The big difference between this and your example about Bush is that Bush had 8 years. I don't think it's really fair to judge Weisbrod based on results when he had an 18-19 year old Dwight, rookie Jameer, and role player Hedo. He could have drafted Okafor, not traded for Jameer and sign someone other than Hedo after Foyle didn't sign with us. Then we'd be screwed. He still is the one responsible for getting 75% of our current core on the team, regardless of when they broke out.

It's not like we weren't mired in mediocrity before he came. Yeah giving up those players hurts and definitely takes away some tradeable pieces. He had no more than 2 years to turn a mediocre at best NBA franchise that went 21-61 into a contender?

here's where it starts getting tricky. because Weis took over not even half way through that 21-61 season, maybe even sooner. the team, only a year before, had taken Detroit to the 7th game in the first rd of the playoffs, with only very minor changes in perosonel. so i disagree that Weis was suddenly dealing with a terrible team to begin with.

also, 3/5ths isn't 75%, it's 60%. so Weis is responsible for landing 60% of the current starting lineup. again, they're all pieces that before this season and last season WEREN'T considered championship pieces. the coach that Weis hired, Hill, certainly didn't make them look like contenders. so don't credit what SVG has done with this team, for Weis' vision or savvy player management. especially when it's 2 and a half years down the line.

if you want to make the statement: "for better or worse, Weis' moves left us with 60% of our current, and outstanding, team" then that's all good. but to use it as a testament to the man's GM skills is just sifting through the sewerage lookin for dimes that little kids had swallowed.

I never said he was a good GM. I was just saying he wasn't as terrible as you guys say he was. I can say with 100% certainty that the majority of the GM's/talking heads wouldn't have gotten us these 3 players. He got them for us and shouldn't get thrown under the bus like you guys are doing. We have 4 semi All-star caliber players and he got us 3 of them. I'm not crediting him for putting us where we are now or the development of them at all. I'm very very very happy we got Otis and SVG now and if Weis lasted another season we likely wouldn't be put in this season. He was put in charge for a reason, didn't **** us up, and got us 3 players who are key contributors for a contender.
Florida Gator Alum
Orlando Magic
Atlanta Braves
Washington Redskins
Washington Capitals

@badamsufl

Return to Orlando Magic