ImageImageImageImage

dwight to be in 2010 dunk contest

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

dwight to be in 2010 dunk contest 

Post#1 » by NEM » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:39 pm

apparently if the nba wants him to, he will do it next season as well
http://blogs.hoopshype.com/blogs/videos ... est-again/
to me him saying "if they want me to" means he is there 100% because of lebron being there as well. can you imagine the $$$ the nba will make off of this. you have lebron and dwight, the 2 highest leapers and most powerful dunkers in 1 dunk contest. it could be the biggest thing since MJ and 'nique. the league will invite him for sure because of the marketing and audience it will bring.

so the stage is pretty much already set. i mean they need 1 more dunker. it looks like its going to be the king, superman, kryptonate, and someone else. i hope they dont let the fans vote again and if they do give us a better selection. something like jason richardson, dwyane wade, derrick rose, courntey lee (homerism :D )

it could shape out to be the greatest dunk contest ever
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
magicman123
RealGM
And1: 722

Re: dwight to be in 2010 dunk contest 

Post#2 » by magicman123 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 pm

yay lebron james :eek1:
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#3 » by damo[23] » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:49 pm

I wouldnt even bother.
zuppafly
Assistant Coach
And1: 990

Post#4 » by zuppafly » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm

RawLewD12 wrote:it could shape out to be the greatest dunk contest ever

Or an even bigger disappointment than this last one.
LiteHedded
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 0

Post#5 » by LiteHedded » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:50 pm

i heard they already fed-ex'd lebron the trophy
Versubio
Veteran
And1: 209

Post#6 » by Versubio » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:15 pm

LiteHedded wrote:i heard they already fed-ex'd lebron the trophy

+ 2
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#7 » by MitchellUK » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:16 pm

Lebron enters dunk contest = Lebron wins dunk contest.

Not saying it has to be 'fixed' (for want of a better word) because LeBron has the athleticism to pull off some jawdropping moves, and with the right imagination, he could be truly awesome. But there is no way the NBA lets Lebron walk out of the contest empty handed.
Pancho_Pantera
Banned User
And1: 5

Post#8 » by Pancho_Pantera » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:19 pm

So we got Bron, D12, and Nate.

They should add like three more big names to the event, seeing how it will be the biggest All Star ever.
BoricuaBoi
Senior
And1: 13

Post#9 » by BoricuaBoi » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:30 pm

you guys will see next year that LeBron is not going to have a great dunk contest plain and simple he has one dunk and he does it every game, which is that one arm extension dunk on the fast break.Why do you think he has waited this long to throw his name in their hes just not a creative dunker. did u see the ASG last night he tried like three times to do the same dunk, and only on the last one did he finally complete it after everyne cleared out of the way. BTW MIKE BROWN WORST ASC EVER!
Boston fans have Green asses and Brown noses! Right Stu?
UCF
Community Mod
Community Mod
And1: 1,073

Post#10 » by UCF » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:54 pm

I wouldn't enter as a player so long as the fans are the sole determinant of who wins. Dwight obviously had the better dunks in the last round and still didn't win because the knicks have 10 million fans.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#11 » by N4U|Redux » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:58 pm

UCF wrote:I wouldn't enter as a player so long as the fans are the sole determinant of who wins. Dwight obviously had the better dunks in the last round and still didn't win because the knicks have 10 million fans.

It's definitely stupid.

This ain't American Idol, heavy biases are going to be built in simply by virtue of the team a player is from. If Nate was for the OKC Thunder, he would've lost. Simple.

Not to mention how ridiculously easy it is to now say "player X wins with Y% of the votes" which can be any arbitrary fill-in the blank for X and Y. At least with judges you have to find an entire group of judges willing to fix a contest. Fan voting can be rigged by one person.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Howard Mass
Site Admin
Site Admin
And1: 15,625

Post#12 » by Howard Mass » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:00 pm

UCF wrote:I wouldn't enter as a player so long as the fans are the sole determinant of who wins. Dwight obviously had the better dunks in the last round and still didn't win because the knicks have 10 million fans.

Exactly.

I will say Dwight's first dunk was a bit overrated and outdid Robinson in the final round..

I also felt Iggy beat Robinson a few years back but being small gets you points in this contest.
R.I.P. Dharam Raghubir (A.K.A. Magnumt)

:beer:
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,113

Post#13 » by AdamTheGreek » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:03 pm

Surprised Dwight would compete for a 4th straight time. He needs to realize that he needs to do more substance (i.e. both his 3rd dunks from last year and this year) dunks and less gimmicky ones.

LBJ won't have to do much to impress everyone (so the award would basically be in the bag for him, especially if it's left up to fan votes).
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
trebone
Lead Assistant
And1: 329

Post#14 » by trebone » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:12 pm

lebron will win because of namesake only, the judges are stupid in that they think almost everything is a 10 anymore and the creativity is limited to gimmicks now anyways, if dwight would have kissed the rim on his last dunk we wouldnt be discussing this right now anyway
AgEnT50
General Manager
And1: 188

Post#15 » by AgEnT50 » Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:22 pm

LiteHedded wrote:i heard they already fed-ex'd lebron the trophy

:nod: :nonono:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#16 » by craig01 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:30 am

I agree with the fan voting problems. This just makes the event more of a gimmick than it was before.

Personally, I don't care for the dunk contest anyway (although last years WAS entertaining), as there are only so many ways to dunk a basketball.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
lovehoops01
General Manager
And1: 1

Post#17 » by lovehoops01 » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:04 am

Don't let the NBA fool you. They do that because they make money doing it via text message.

That's why I never vote in anything via text messaging. It's just a business deal for whoever asking the question and the phone company they are working with wrapped in the illusion of letting the public's opinion being heard.
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,366

Post#18 » by Bensational » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:51 am

MitchellUK wrote:Lebron enters dunk contest = Lebron wins dunk contest.

Not saying it has to be 'fixed' (for want of a better word) because LeBron has the athleticism to pull off some jawdropping moves, and with the right imagination, he could be truly awesome. But there is no way the NBA lets Lebron walk out of the contest empty handed.

who says it has to be fixed? with fans deciding the winner, there won't be any need to.

"Lebron James? I've heard of him! I'm gonna vote for him!"

you know what would impress me in a dunk contest? a contestant getting the reigning DPOTY to try and defend/block them, whilst they try to posterize them. even if they didn't pull it off, it'd impress me that they tried that.
MitchellUK
RealGM
And1: 2,882

Post#19 » by MitchellUK » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:59 am

Bensational wrote:

who says it has to be fixed? with fans deciding the winner, there won't be any need to.

you know what would impress me in a dunk contest? a contestant getting the reigning DPOTY to try and defend/block them, whilst they try to posterize them. even if they didn't pull it off, it'd impress me that they tried that.

That's why I said, "not saying it has to be fixed."

But your idea is cool - kind of like a dunking gauntlet. Attempt to drive and dunk on Dwight/Marcus Camby/Ronny Turiaf - a big time shot blocker. Would indeed be cool.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#20 » by glennathan » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:38 pm

MitchellUK wrote:
Bensational wrote:

That's why I said, "not saying it has to be fixed."

But your idea is cool - kind of like a dunking gauntlet. Attempt to drive and dunk on Dwight/Marcus Camby/Ronny Turiaf - a big time shot blocker. Would indeed be cool.

Nate Robinson would get pwned. Then people would argue it is not fair. I think it is a great Idea. Trying to dunk on Dwight, Camby, and do not forget about Kirilenko.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?

Return to Orlando Magic