ImageImageImageImage

OT: Interesting Info

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

TheChaser
Analyst
And1: 482

OT: Interesting Info 

Post#1 » by TheChaser » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:47 pm

I just saw this question on a hoopsworld chat with Eric Pincus:

josh in colorado springs co:
is josh powell the biggest steal as far as salary he makes in the nba???
Eric Pincus:
How about Paul Millsap at $797,581 which is some $57k less than Powell makes?

I did not know this, and it just blows my mind that Utah gets the production for him that they do for this price!
maginno wrote:There is nothing wrong with this team that putting a few unloaded guns in Carter's gym bag will not solve.
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Re: OT: Interesting Info 

Post#2 » by Big A All Day » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:52 pm

Paul Millsap is a Beast
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#3 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:02 am

I find it interesting that anyone can believe $798k to play a game is a "bargain" at all. Even if he kept that pay his entire basketball career (~10 years) he'd make more than many professions would in their entire lives (~40 years).
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
OrlandoMagic
Lead Assistant
And1: 435

Post#4 » by OrlandoMagic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:31 am

I wish the NBA would set the cap at 10 Million a year, playing basketball for 12 million a year is just plain crazy, and mgmt are the dumb f&^ks for paying players so much. Even 1 million a year is crazy. I would love to see how many players complain that 1 million a year is not enough to live on. I live on 35k a year and am very happy in life.
Neon1
RealGM
And1: 1,576

Post#5 » by Neon1 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:36 am

How come people are seemingly only bothered by pro athletes salaries?

How come there isnt such an outcry about other multi-multi-million dollar a year entertainers like actors who get payed to play "pretend" or dress up? Or musicians? Its just wierd the double standard that athletes get held to imo.
A smart coach once said, "Potential just means you're not good enough yet." Playing on potential is like living on air: It's essential, but if thats all you have, you're eventually going to starve.

Twitter: @CleonONE IG: @usaidwhatnah
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#6 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:11 am

Neon1 wrote:How come people are seemingly only bothered by pro athletes salaries?

How come there isnt such an outcry about other multi-multi-million dollar a year entertainers like actors who get payed to play "pretend" or dress up? Or musicians? Its just wierd the double standard that athletes get held to imo.

Don't worry. I apply the same logic to them.

There is certainly a value to their entertainment, and given that most entertainers do it for a short period to begin with they deserve a much higher than average pay while they are doing their thing. That said, there's no way anyone could tell me Paul Milsap, or even worse players, deserves more money in a span of a few years than a lifetime nurse or even most doctors would make.

Obviously the owners make enough money to pay these athletes and movie stars their money though. So, if these athletes were capped lower it'd just mean more money in the pockets of owners. It's not like they'd give the rest of their employees raises or anything.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Bensational
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 12,396

Post#7 » by Bensational » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:36 am

Neon1 wrote:How come people are seemingly only bothered by pro athletes salaries?

i don't think many high paid CEO's are worth the money they make. anyone making $1mil + a year or is just ludicrous to me... until i join that upper echelon.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#8 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Feb 25, 2009 4:51 am

Bensational wrote:i don't think many high paid CEO's are worth the money they make. anyone making $1mil + a year or is just ludicrous to me... until i join that upper echelon.

I'd say it depends. You deserve a fair share of what your company makes due to your actions. CEO's are often involved in actions that directly relate to the amount of money their entire company makes. So are superstar athletes like Lebron James and Britney Spears. But, I don't understand why in the world Jared Jeffries should be a multi-millionaire. There's just no rhyme or reason for it. None.

I'm not advocating limiting $$$ in any way because that gets real messy real fast, just in principle seems ludicrous for people to make so much money. I wonder how much of the GDP the top 10% of the leading industrial countries make (i.e. USA, Japan, etc).
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#9 » by EasternMagic » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:30 am

N4U|Redux wrote:I find it interesting that anyone can believe $798k to play a game is a "bargain" at all. Even if he kept that pay his entire basketball career (~10 years) he'd make more than many professions would in their entire lives (~40 years).

I hate it when people complain about NBA salaries, the amount of work they put their bodies through, the amount of travel and number of days they work is insane. Of course it's something everybody wishes they could do, but we underestimate the sacrifices they have to make and the strain that is put on their lives, and you have to be extraordinary to get into the league.
SD2042
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
Senior Mod - Grizzlies
And1: 2,413

Post#10 » by SD2042 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:44 am

OrlandoMagic wrote:I wish the NBA would set the cap at 10 Million a year, playing basketball for 12 million a year is just plain crazy, and mgmt are the dumb f&^ks for paying players so much. Even 1 million a year is crazy. I would love to see how many players complain that 1 million a year is not enough to live on. I live on 35k a year and am very happy in life.

It's like greed. Some ppl think they are worth more than they really are worth. When you really think about it. Greed goes hand and hand with green when you really look at the word hard enough.
N4U|Redux
RealGM

Post#11 » by N4U|Redux » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:01 pm

EasternMagic wrote:
N4U|Redux wrote:I find it interesting that anyone can believe $798k to play a game is a "bargain" at all. Even if he kept that pay his entire basketball career (~10 years) he'd make more than many professions would in their entire lives (~40 years).

I hate it when people complain about NBA salaries, the amount of work they put their bodies through, the amount of travel and number of days they work is insane. Of course it's something everybody wishes they could do, but we underestimate the sacrifices they have to make and the strain that is put on their lives, and you have to be extraordinary to get into the league.

Yeah. You're right, they put more on their body then construction workers :roll:.

They put their body through a lot and they entertain us which deserves high pay. That said, there's no freaking way Jared Jeffries deserves more money than 90% of the country would make their entire lives over the span of his bloated contract. At least, not based on his basketball career.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#12 » by spinedoc » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:09 pm

Thankfully, there is a very broad discussion going on today about who deserves to be wealthy, and athletes are such a small insignificant part of that.
TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Post#13 » by TheRevTy » Wed Feb 25, 2009 7:14 pm

While I agree that the numbers tossed out there are ludicrous, you have to remember that these guys bring joy (or sorrow) to the masses. Literally millions of people's hopes (albeit shallow hopes, but hopes nonetheless) are invested in the muscles and ligaments of a guy like LeBron James. If you figure a direct correlation between number of lives directly affected and the amount of salary earned, it could possibly be justified. Similarly, Steve Jobs (poor guy) has had an impact on millions of lives, and thus deserves compensation. The notion that no one deserves reward appropriate to their corresponding contribution to society is ludicrous.

That being said, I agree that Jared Jeffries doesn't deserve that much cash, and that the values are a bit overblown. But the concept remains the same.

(Also, on a significantly lower level, consider what kind of lives these celebrities have. They can NEVER go to the grocery store and just grab some milk and bread without being surrounded by fans. They are at a much higher risk for crime because they are high-profile people. That is certainly no reason to dish out that much money, but it is something to consider.)

Return to Orlando Magic