ImageImageImageImage

Game #58: Pistons @ Magic Feb. 27th 7 p.m.

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Re: Game #58: Pistons @ Magic Feb. 27th 7 p.m. 

Post#401 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:00 am

FFBlitzace wrote:
taruky1 wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:I don't blame anybody except for our players. Their refusal to toughen up and not get bullied by this team is inexcusable. Until that happens, they will continue to get dominated by this team, and any other physical team.

So what do you suggest? We start setting moving picks? We foul guys harder? How do you match a team that's allowed to do whatever the heck they want with impunity from the officials? This game was absolutely atrociously officiated. I really don't think this was a toughness issue. The Magic played hard. The limitation in how we could play their guards was established very early.

I just disagree. I think we visibly folded in the 2nd half. We got completely outworked. The refs let them get away with a lot, but by using that as an excuse, I think it's a cop out. I think that's why we're such a mediocre team now. Instead of admitting to ourselves that we're soft and need to toughen up, they just make excuses all night long. And they'll never get any better with that mentality.

Even though I complain about the refs a lot in this thread I completely agree with this post
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#402 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:01 am

Stan is PISSED at Pietrus being hurt all the time
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#403 » by mhectorgato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:02 am

Can't wait until we are tired of getting our butts kicked in the playground ....

As annoying as KG's jawing is, that's what he certainly brought to the Cs.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
hoopaddict08
Sophomore
And1: 0

Post#404 » by hoopaddict08 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:02 am

EasternMagic wrote:
hoopaddict08 wrote:
FFBlitzace wrote:If we play them in the playoffs we are going to lose. We obviously have no interest in matching their toughness. And they know it.

I think two clear match-ups that favors us (I'm a Piston fan) is Rasheed on Dwight and Tayshaun on Hedo.
If we didn't have Rasheed, or Mcdyess, there is no way we would be able to beat you. As far as the Tayshaun match-up Hedo def turned it up in the fourth, but he was no where to be found in the first half of the game.

Well we cant use our SG's CLee or Pietrus when Fing Richard Hamilton is getting away with elbowing and pushing and holding.

A lot of times he does it because players are grabbing him to keep him from running around screens. But than again he does it to keep away from them as well. He is one of those players you would rather have than not have. He learned from one of the best, Reggie Miller.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#405 » by mhectorgato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 am

EasternMagic wrote:Stan is PISSED at Pietrus being hurt all the time

Not sure if it was incidental contact or if Rip hooked and pulled him through ... looked like the later to me.
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#406 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 am

mhectorgato wrote:Can't wait until we are tired of getting our butts kicked in the playground ....

As annoying as KG's jawing is, that's what he certainly brought to the Cs.

It's gotta be now... I have never been so upset after a game before... I can't imagine that they don't feel the same way. They need to figure out a way to use this as motivation.
turdstorm
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#407 » by turdstorm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 am

we clearly need a bruiser down low to help dwight to compete teams like this.

4 of 5 of the pistons starters played 40 minutes tonight, they REALLY wanted this game.
flyingvee
Sixth Man
And1: 17

Post#408 » by flyingvee » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:04 am

Whatever it may be you still can't pin the teams terrible play because of just the refs. As for how to play against the physical team, well they will bully you and keep bullying you if you dont' bully back, plain and simple. We have NO enforcer on this team, none. Someone to set a hard pick or send someone on his butt now and then. If someone gets smacked pretty hard they'll think twice about trying that crap again. Maybe after we lose to the Pistons the first round we can find soemone to take Lewis off our hands (since many think Hedo is Scotty Pippen II) and get a tough PF. Can we bring Xavier Mcdaniel out of retirement?
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#409 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:05 am

On nights like this, Howard has to set the tone by just looking to take the bumps and go to work on their bigs. That is what Shaq would have done in his prime. Set the tone by dropping the hammer on guys trying to be physical.
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#410 » by mhectorgato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:05 am

hoopaddict08 wrote:A lot of times he does it because players are grabbing him to keep him from running around screens. But than again he does it to keep away from them as well. He is one of those players you would rather have than not have. He learned from one of the best, Reggie Miller.

Certainly among the best in the league in moving without the ball. Plus he's awfully crafty.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#411 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:06 am

turdstorm wrote:we clearly need a bruiser down low to help dwight to compete teams like this.

4 of 5 of the pistons starters played 40 minutes tonight, they REALLY wanted this game.

We don't need a bruiser down low. McDyess would just pull him out and rain down jumpers. We just need Shard to work harder on defense.
magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

Post#412 » by magicfan4life05 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:06 am

mhectorgato wrote:
magicfan4life05 wrote:2nd half they showed no energy/focus...they let them back in the game...they just weren't taking it seriously...this team has big mental issues with the pistons..and it won't go away...

I disagree ... they just took us out of our game. The enforced their will upon us.

I don't think it was for lack of energy/effort.

Well I think I should have been more specific...during the first 7 mins of 3rd quarter, I thought they were no energy/focus by the magic and the pistons beat them to every loose ball and critical rebound, they turned up the intensity end of the 3rd and start of the 4th but it was too late, detriot was already controlling the game.

So I didn't mean no energy/focus the ENTIRE 2nd half...just the important part where they had a chance to put the game away...this was a team reeling on a 8 game losing streak and on the road..you have to take advantage of that and it's really pathetic not only did they let them back in but clearly outplay them.
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
mhectorgato
RealGM

Post#413 » by mhectorgato » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:07 am

Cammo101 wrote:On nights like this, Howard has to set the tone by just looking to take the bumps and go to work on their bigs. That is what Shaq would have done in his prime. Set the tone by dropping the hammer on guys trying to be physical.

I don't blame Dwight tonight ... he did fine imo. Much better than recent efforts against Detroit.

They just match up well - both Sheed and Dice bring him out of the paint defensively. And both are great low post defenders.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#414 » by MagicMadness » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 am

SVG's post game comments have helped me cope with the loss. He said all the things I was thinking - and his answer to the question about Pietrus was hilarious. I'm going to read or listen to it again later.

PISTONS ARE OUR DADDY

lol @ Magic
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#415 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 am

mhectorgato wrote:
hoopaddict08 wrote:A lot of times he does it because players are grabbing him to keep him from running around screens. But than again he does it to keep away from them as well. He is one of those players you would rather have than not have. He learned from one of the best, Reggie Miller.

Certainly among the best in the league in moving without the ball. Plus he's awfully crafty.

Yup. And he flails his arms all over the place when he does it. Someone just needs to do it against him and flail an arm right in his face. Give him a taste of his own medicine
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft

Post#416 » by Cammo101 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:08 am

mhectorgato wrote:
Cammo101 wrote:On nights like this, Howard has to set the tone by just looking to take the bumps and go to work on their bigs. That is what Shaq would have done in his prime. Set the tone by dropping the hammer on guys trying to be physical.

I don't blame Dwight tonight ... he did fine imo. Much better than recent efforts against Detroit.

They just match up well - both Sheed and Dice bring him out of the paint defensively. And both are great low post defenders.

I don't blame him either, but he sets the tone for our toughness.
turdstorm
Sophomore

Post#417 » by turdstorm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:09 am

Cammo101 wrote:
turdstorm wrote:we clearly need a bruiser down low to help dwight to compete teams like this.

We don't need a bruiser down low. McDyess would just pull him out and rain down jumpers. We just need Shard to work harder on defense.

shard is not capable of defense on bigs, he's a SF not a PF... however, he didn't do anything this game, not even stick his hand up... i was pissed off.
EasternMagic
RealGM

Post#418 » by EasternMagic » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:10 am

we need to play battie more against the pistons
turdstorm
Sophomore

Post#419 » by turdstorm » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:11 am

EasternMagic wrote:we need to play battie more against the pistons

i agree, as long as he's willing to play hard
supwitheddie
Freshman

Post#420 » by supwitheddie » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:12 am

As I said the last time we lost to the Pistons.....

When a team is very physical the entire game, and the other team(the Magic), are not, we will not get the calls. If the officials see nothing but rough play from one team they get used to it. The only way we will ever beat the Pistons is if we match them blow for blow.

The officials are not going to call everything because they want to go home at a decent hour. Instead of letting Hamilton elbow all our guys and just crying about it, they need to go in there and hammer back. Exactly what someone else said earlier, Shaq would not sit there and whine abou getting hacked. He would PUNISH the other team physically, and thats the only way to do it. Grow some balls Magic...please.

Return to Orlando Magic