ImageImageImageImage

Could SVG Win COY Award?

Moderators: UCF, Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL

MagicBasketba11
Rookie
And1: 0

Could SVG Win COY Award? 

Post#1 » by MagicBasketba11 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 8:42 am

I was browsing ESPN.com and they have our very own Stan Van Gundy listed #1 in the top candidates for the Coach of the Year award. I definitely think he deserves it without a doubt. You guys think he'll win it?
Twitter: NickTheQuick224
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Re: Could SVG Win COY Award? 

Post#2 » by drsd » Wed Mar 4, 2009 9:55 am

Mike Brown would get my vote.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#3 » by glennathan » Wed Mar 4, 2009 12:54 pm

drsd wrote:Mike Brown would get my vote.

:jawdrop: :censored: :confused: :banghead: :nonono: :noway: You do know this is not the cavs board right drsd???

just kidding. I can understand why you would vote for Mike Brown. He did get his team 25-1 (or whatever the current record is) at home and is #1 in the East. That definitely deserves some credit towards COTY.

I honestly think either SVG or Mike Brown have the best shot. If Mike Brown wins it, its all because of how they played at home and the play of LeBron James.

If SVG gets it, its because of the way he coached and kept his team motivated and swept the series with Spurs, Lakers, GSW, and the other top teams in the West. Also if he got his team to the playoffs (which I know is going to happen) w/o Jameer that would be credible as well coaching a team to the playoffs w/o their starting PG.

BTW When do the picks for COTY come out?
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
Sugar Cane
Senior
And1: 1

Post#4 » by Sugar Cane » Wed Mar 4, 2009 2:54 pm

SVG should be considered the number one. And excuse me if I sound like a hater, but Mike Brown is not a good coach. He just so happens to have LBJ which is an exceptional talent that demands the most out of himself and the players around him. My top five COY list looks like this:

1. SVG
2. Popavich
3. LBJ
4. Sloan
5. Eric Spoelstra (Miami is not better than a lot of other teams but they are overachieving IMO)
B-League Fantasy Draft:

PG. Rajon Rondo/Mike Conley/Patty Mills
SG. Demar Derozan/Brandon Roy/Bradley Beal/Jodie Meeks
SF. Kawhi Leonard/Terrence Jones/Jae Crowder
PF. Tristan Thompson/Jared Sullinger/Tyler Hansbrough
C. JaVale McGee/DeAndre Jordan
Just Plain Mark
Assistant Coach
And1: 193

Post#5 » by Just Plain Mark » Wed Mar 4, 2009 2:57 pm

I'd say relative to general media expectations, the Magic have done the most (out of CLE, Utah, etc) to exceed them, with the possible exception of Miami.

I think the way the Magic play without Nelson could really make him the best candidate
Rick Rolled
General Manager
And1: 3,705

Post#6 » by Rick Rolled » Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:20 pm

I look at the improvement of Hedo and Jameer these past two years, and I have a hard time thinking that SVG is not a MAJOR reason for it. The guy gets the best out of his players.

He should win it.
3Pac wrote:sorry for bad english am from pennsylvania
AdamTheGreek
RealGM
And1: 2,112

Post#7 » by AdamTheGreek » Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:30 pm

He's up there for sure.
Twitter: @PapageorgiouMBO
Penny & Pops Podcast (Orlando Magic): https://soundcloud.com/137665379
damo[23]
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 64

Post#8 » by damo[23] » Wed Mar 4, 2009 3:38 pm

He's got to be thrown into consideration that's for sure.
NEM
RealGM
And1: 2,122

Post#9 » by NEM » Wed Mar 4, 2009 5:30 pm

brown will win it. svg in a close second. although i dont consider brown the head coach. he's an assistant to lebron because whenever i watch one of their game lebron is more vocal than anyone including the coaching staff. he hold players accountable which is why they are so good. they could have anyone as their coach and they would be good. i give him some credit but definitely not as much as some of the guys on this forum. just like in boston, doc is labeled the head coach BUT they didn't do anything until they god the devils son, tom thibadeu. also kg plays the role of lebron in boston (see big baby davis)

svg is a true coach. he gets on his players and all of them too. he doesnt exclude dwight or turk or shard. i bet if mike brown disagreed with lebron he'd get the boot because they have to keep lebron happy
I live rent free in your head. You know who you are :D

Not changing this sig until Magic win a championship. Started 6/26/2015.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#10 » by TheRevTy » Wed Mar 4, 2009 5:52 pm

Not only do we have the least number of ISO's among the contenders (you don't need to coach when a guy like Lebron or Pierce just takes it on the wing and creates for himself), but we've had to deal with one of the biggest cogs on offense going down at the halfway mark.
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,818

Post#11 » by drsd » Wed Mar 4, 2009 6:24 pm

I love the Magic with StM leading the helm. But let's look at the Cavs. They have no rational SG. No depth at SF. No depth at true C. And are built around a scoring PG, SF, and C. Yet, this is one of the best-ever defensive teams. The defensive scheme run by Mike Brown is fantastic. He has built a team, and one that buys into his defensive strategy, even though almost every player on the roster is offensive minded.

Also, curious that there is no mention to the fantastic job Jackson has done out West.
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man

Post#12 » by magicfanatic23 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 6:49 pm

I think he has it wrapped up as long as we finish strong. Nobody at least in the media thought we'd be this good. Add the fact that we lost our All Star PG and I think Stan has done the best job in the league. He should be the favorite for COY as of right now.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
Cammo101
Mr. Mock Draft
And1: 1,765

Post#13 » by Cammo101 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 8:44 pm

Stan is in the mix. No one has really stepped to far into the forefront for this award. I tend to throw my vote to Scott Skiles right now.
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer

Post#14 » by Diehardmagicfan » Wed Mar 4, 2009 9:09 pm

I think that Mike Brown will win it, but I think that Stan deserves to win the game considering that we lost Jameer and we are doing pretty good, and Stan actually gets the best out of his players unlike Mike who has Lebron to do that so Lebron is more of the head coach and Mike is an assistant to him.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#15 » by Nemesis21 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 9:59 pm

:nod:
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#16 » by craig01 » Wed Mar 4, 2009 11:04 pm

Barring a collapse Brown likely gets the nod.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability

Return to Orlando Magic