ImageImageImageImage

Honest opinion of Rafer Alston

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Re: Honest opinion of Rafer Alston 

Post#21 » by drsd » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:09 pm

If the LUX tax collapses, the Magic will be financially forced to trade Alston. I do not see it as certain that he would backup Nelson next year.
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#22 » by Magicalltheway » Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:11 pm

I like him alot. Love what he has brought to this team. As everyone else said, he is a bad shooter, cant finish worth ***, 50 percent ft shooter. But the reason he fits our style greatly is because we really dont need his scoring. He is above average defender, sees the court extremely well and can penetrate and dishout, something AJ is not capable of doing. I am more excited about next year to see him come off the bench after JN. Overall Im very happy to have him.
turdstorm
Sophomore
And1: 2

Post#23 » by turdstorm » Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:41 pm

i'm happy we were able to get him and get rid of cook. he an't shoot, but i don't think he takes nearly as many forced shots as he did in houston. He knows the entire team is a better option than he is and i've seen him pass even when he's clearly open. The funny thing is, his floaters brick so badly that they bounce far enough for a magic player to grab the rebound many times (dwight).

He has a pretty nic emove where he can drive to the basket and get fouled almost every time, but if he doesnt then his shot is really ugly. I'm just glad we have a pg now that pushes the tempo. Oh and i love the fact that he swipes at the ball, he seems to be pretty good at being that pesky little player that gets a couple steals each game.
karizma87
Rookie
And1: 0

Post#24 » by karizma87 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:48 pm

he is way better than anthony goiterface johnson, I don't get why we don't just have alston and lue running the show...
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#25 » by craig01 » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:58 pm

RA isn't great.

In fact, he's really just pedestrian.

But I am glad he's on the Magic.

He is a perfect fit for this situation.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
magicfanatic23
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#26 » by magicfanatic23 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:07 am

karizma87 wrote:he is way better than anthony goiterface johnson, I don't get why we don't just have alston and lue running the show...

AJ has actually been playing pretty good these last few weeks. Trust me Lue is far worse than AJ. Lue completely sucks.
Orium wrote:Matt Barnes has fans? I thought it was more along the lines of apathetic acceptance by whatever team he currently plays for.
vagnermagic
Senior
And1: 108

Post#27 » by vagnermagic » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:07 pm

drsd wrote:If the LUX tax collapses, the Magic will be financially forced to trade Alston. I do not see it as certain that he would backup Nelson next year.

I really hope that doesn't happen.

It'd be nice to have Jameer and Alston as our PGs next season.

Rafer was described well by everyone in this thread, he's a poor finisher around the rim and struggles with his shot, bu has the ability to create to the other players, and that's what the team needed. He isn't forcing shots, and as long as he keeps that way, I'm fine with him.
Vamo, Magic!
Brazilian Magic fan
drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,908

Post#28 » by drsd » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:20 pm

vagnermagic wrote:
drsd wrote:If the LUX tax collapses, the Magic will be financially forced to trade Alston. I do not see it as certain that he would backup Nelson next year.

I think eveyone here could agree that Alston would look good as Nelson's backup (he's a total change up to Nelson's game). But 5M for a backup is a lot of coin.
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#29 » by spinedoc » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:12 pm

I love him already. He's a true pg and can facilitate the offense. The scouting report that some or your guys gave us was spot on about his outside shot and ability to finish off drives, but hey, at least he gets to the hole. We didn't have any pg's that could do that before he came over, and he will be a great complement to Nelson next year. He does well finding the open man though. A lot of those drives to the hole end up being easy passes, or put backs for us, so its all good. I love the trade. Also, AJ has really stepped up his game and carved out a niche as the backup this year. He was asked to do too much beyond his capabilities, but he's really seemed to have found his role now with Rafer coming over.
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#30 » by glennathan » Wed Mar 11, 2009 6:39 pm

drsd wrote:
vagnermagic wrote:

I think eveyone here could agree that Alston would look good as Nelson's backup (he's a total change up to Nelson's game). But 5M for a backup is a lot of coin.

maybe 5 mil for a backup PG is a lot to be paying but it is also a nice little expiring contract as well. better then what we had with Foyle and Cook.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#31 » by craig01 » Thu Mar 12, 2009 12:03 am

Personally I hope RA is back next year.

It could be a nice duo.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability

Return to Orlando Magic