ImageImageImageImage

ESPN Rookie Watch

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

drsd
RealGM
And1: 7,891

ESPN Rookie Watch 

Post#1 » by drsd » Wed Mar 18, 2009 7:40 pm

Courtney Lee, Magic
Lee has a tightly defined role just like the handful of other rookies starting for playoff teams: Make open 3s (he's shooting 41.3 percent, third among rookies), play tough defense, move the ball and get back on defense. He is doing all of those things and should be able to show some of his scoring ability next season as well. However, he can not relax and assume the starting 2-guard position is his for the long term in Orlando.

Courtney Lee is soaring

TheRevTy
Starter
And1: 0

Re: ESPN Rookie Watch 

Post#2 » by TheRevTy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:01 pm

That's actually a pretty solid article. I particularly like this part:

The formula is simple: (great work ethic + good attitude) x (great coaching + good system) = a productive player. Rookies can't control their coaching and system, but they can control their work ethic and attitude. So control them they should. Especially rookies who have had more downs than ups -- things can turn around quickly in this league.

Seems like we're seeing this with one of our previously thought busts - JJ has come in with a good attitude this year and finds himself in a much better situation.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Post#3 » by MagicMadness » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:07 pm

I don't know why so many people thought J.J. was a bust before he even had a consistent chance to really do anything.

You don't go from having one of the best shooting strokes ever to not being able to hit a shot. It was clear that Redick's confidence was non-existent at the very beginning of the season. Now that he finally has a role on the team, the confidence is there and he's producing solidly well. So simple.

Who was it that started a thread after the 2nd or 3rd game of the season about how Redick was done in the league and where do the Magic go from there? That was epically bad.
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#4 » by TheRevTy » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:14 pm

Let's not turn this into a JJ thread (Goodness knows there have been enough of those...) I was just pointing out a guy who looked to have a bleak future for his first couple of years in the league and has managed to turn it around a bit.
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#5 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 8:19 pm

I was going to make it about JJ...but I won't go there...it is too easy.

C-Lee for 3 is all I need to see....JJ can go back and be an assistant coach for Coach K.
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer

Post#6 » by Diehardmagicfan » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:01 pm

Courtney Lee is a really solid player this year besides missing a few easy layups. Overall though great player and good article.
Bay_Areas_Finest
Lead Assistant
And1: 1

Post#7 » by Bay_Areas_Finest » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:27 pm

As the leading member of the Courtney Lee fanclub, I feel obligated to express my unbiased love towards him and his game.

Lee should be the number one option. Lee should be taking 15 shots per game. Lee should be playing 40+ minutes.

Thank you.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#8 » by craig01 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:07 am

Bay_Areas_Finest wrote:As the leading member of the Courtney Lee fanclub, I feel obligated to express my unbiased love towards him and his game.

Lee should be the number one option. Lee should be taking 15 shots per game. Lee should be playing 40+ minutes.

Thank you.

Is this a Travis Diener refugee?
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
SpaceCoastGator
Junior

Post#9 » by SpaceCoastGator » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:20 am

Diehardmagicfan wrote:Courtney Lee is a really solid player this year besides missing a few easy layups. Overall though great player and good article.

I agree...like him a lot, but those missed lay-up have a way of coming back to haunt. Not that I a huge fan of Holloinger's PER...but I was surprised that CLee's PER was so low.

I glad Thorpe finally got around to re-ordering the group...Lee had been at 21 for awhile. Oden down to 16.
orl1724
Sixth Man

Post#10 » by orl1724 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:23 am

Lee has been playing pretty good as of late in the last 13 games hes avg 10.3 pts. And yesterday he had 19 just 2 shy of his career high.
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#11 » by DHoward4Mvp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:33 pm

I think next year and maybe even a little more this year. THey are goign to start running C. Lee on those off the ball screens more.. They did it once or twice last night, and try to get him set up around that mid range J that looks so wet when he shoots it. ( rip hamilton) type plays..... Good to know we finally drafted a rookie that is going to be here for awhile and is going to be extremely productive!!!

PS. JJ REDICK is a bust!!!!!!!!
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#12 » by MagicHolland » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:53 pm

DHoward4Mvp wrote:I think next year and maybe even a little more this year. THey are goign to start running C. Lee on those off the ball screens more.. They did it once or twice last night, and try to get him set up around that mid range J that looks so wet when he shoots it. ( rip hamilton) type plays..... Good to know we finally drafted a rookie that is going to be here for awhile and is going to be extremely productive!!!

Is this really the right time to make a statement like this? I for one begin to think he could be very valuable against certain opponents..
DHoward4Mvp
Starter

Post#13 » by DHoward4Mvp » Thu Mar 19, 2009 2:56 pm

MagicHolland wrote:
DHoward4Mvp wrote:I think next year and maybe even a little more this year. THey are goign to start running C. Lee on those off the ball screens more.. They did it once or twice last night, and try to get him set up around that mid range J that looks so wet when he shoots it. ( rip hamilton) type plays..... Good to know we finally drafted a rookie that is going to be here for awhile and is going to be extremely productive!!!

Is this really the right time to make a statement like this? I for one begin to think he could be very valuable against certain opponents..

So out my whole rant, you decide to pick out the negative part.......???
And it was clearly S A R C A S M........
Yeah he can be valuable against the Clippers and the Warriors of the world.........
TheRevTy
Starter

Post#14 » by TheRevTy » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:02 pm

I actually think in time, with research of NBA defenders, he could even be a valuable ISO player, not needing to run off screens to get his shot. He is so quick, and has great instincts around the basket (which is why the missed lay-ups confuse me so much.) I mean, look at that fast break lay-up at the end of the Cavs game. He had the foresight to alter the shot because of a trailing Lebron. Had he done a normal lay-up, Lebron blocks that off the backboard all the way to the half court line. Add that to his pull-up J and he could play a very nice two man game with Dwight.
MagicHolland
General Manager
And1: 301

Post#15 » by MagicHolland » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:29 pm

DHoward4Mvp wrote:
MagicHolland wrote:

So out my whole rant, you decide to pick out the negative part.......???
And it was clearly S A R C A S M........
Yeah he can be valuable against the Clippers and the Warriors of the world.........

Well the first part I agreed with and I think it's pretty useless to just put agreed :P and it might be because I'm Dutch but I really didn't catch the sarcasm there LOL should've put green font :wink:

And your last sentence makes me question whether or not your being sarcastic again.. If not.. He was valuable against the Bucks, Jazz and Spurs last year with Dwight's winning alleyoop :P Just to name a few..
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#16 » by Big A All Day » Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:30 pm

MagicMadness wrote:I don't know why so many people thought J.J. was a bust before he even had a consistent chance to really do anything.

You don't go from having one of the best shooting strokes ever to not being able to hit a shot. It was clear that Redick's confidence was non-existent at the very beginning of the season. Now that he finally has a role on the team, the confidence is there and he's producing solidly well. So simple.

Who was it that started a thread after the 2nd or 3rd game of the season about how Redick was done in the league and where do the Magic go from there? That was epically bad.

He's still not the best..... But he's not the worst either.... Who knew.
SOUL
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 37,393

Post#17 » by SOUL » Fri Mar 20, 2009 7:18 am

I love C.Roy
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483