ImageImageImageImage

Magic's Lee is lone rookie having impact on title contender

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Magic's Lee is lone rookie having impact on title contender 

Post#1 » by Big A All Day » Thu Apr 2, 2009 6:01 pm

http://www.nba.com/2009/news/features/d ... index.html

" Out of those four teams, there is only one impact rookie. Boston's J.R. Giddens and Bill Walker spent half the season in the D-League. J.J. Hickson got some burn for Cleveland, but his minutes dried up when Joe Smith came to town. Sun Yue might be a crowd-pleaser in L.A. when he gets mop-up minutes, but he hasn't affected the outcome of a game yet.

No, Orlando's Courtney Lee is the only one worth mentioning. "

Good read on NBA.COM about courtney.
MagicMadness
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 3,332

Re: Magic's Lee is lone rookie having impact on title contender 

Post#2 » by MagicMadness » Thu Apr 2, 2009 6:35 pm

Yep, he lucked out I guess.

What a huge addition he has been. It's hard to believe he ended up becoming our starting SG this season. Never saw that coming, never expected him to be as good as he has been. This kid is special.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#3 » by Nemesis21 » Thu Apr 2, 2009 6:48 pm

Nice article, Thanks.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#4 » by craig01 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 12:39 am

He'll continue to do so.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
spinedoc
RealGM
And1: 4,164

Post#5 » by spinedoc » Fri Apr 3, 2009 1:21 am

I didn't think he would over take MP this year either, but he's been playing great. He definitely deserves the start, still got a ton of upside too.
N4U|Redux
RealGM
And1: 14

Post#6 » by N4U|Redux » Fri Apr 3, 2009 1:23 am

Lee is doing better than I ever expected.

And doing so in a manner differently than I had anticipated as well.

Lee is a beast, he and Gortat help make Hedo expendable; thus removing some of his leverage against us he would've had if we had to sign him to a new deal last summer for instance.
"If I help get South Florida into the tournament, then 20 years from now when South Florida is ranked No. 1 in the country, people will look at the history and say, 'Dominique Jones started that program.'"
Gerhalt11
Assistant Coach
And1: 827

Post#7 » by Gerhalt11 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 1:57 am

He's been the biggest beneficiary of Jameer's injury. All his numbers are up, and other than Alston, he's the reason we're doing as well as we are in Meercat's absence.

He's our fourth best draft pickup this decade, behind Dwight, Meer and Mike Miller. Tied for fourth with Diener, of course.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#8 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 2:19 am

N4U|Redux wrote:Lee is doing better than I ever expected.

And doing so in a manner differently than I had anticipated as well.

Lee is a beast, he and Gortat help make Hedo expendable; thus removing some of his leverage against us he would've had if we had to sign him to a new deal last summer for instance.

+ 1
mhectorgato
RealGM
And1: 574

Post#9 » by mhectorgato » Fri Apr 3, 2009 2:44 am

spinedoc wrote:I didn't think he would over take MP this year either, but he's been playing great. He definitely deserves the start, still got a ton of upside too.

Well if MP didn't get hurt, then perhaps he likely wouldn't be starting.

Liked the couple of drives to rim yesterday from him - 1st time he drew a foul and the 2nd time he threw it down.

I've been mighty impressed with him!
NEM wrote: However, I'm a fan of my team winning so, keep the winning coming. All the "tank" fans can take their crap to another board. We are here to win.
spinedoc
RealGM

Post#10 » by spinedoc » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:24 am

mhectorgato wrote:Well if MP didn't get hurt, then perhaps he likely wouldn't be starting.

Liked the couple of drives to rim yesterday from him - 1st time he drew a foul and the 2nd time he threw it down.

I've been mighty impressed with him!

True. Lee is so much more in control though, and MP is so reckless. Maybe Stan would have made the switch, but your right, it wasn't that likely of an assumption before the injury.
j-ragg
RealGM
And1: 11,652

Post#11 » by j-ragg » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:32 am

I realize he's just a rookie, but he's so efficient when he is looking to score. I wish we'd get him more involved instead of having to watch Hedo try to drive by people but just run into them and yell for a foul.
BadMofoPimp wrote:Durant thinks Vooch is one of the Best Centers in the NBA. I will take his word over a couch-GM yelling at a TV.
Last Guardian
RealGM
And1: 3,933

Post#12 » by Last Guardian » Fri Apr 3, 2009 2:54 pm

Lee is the main reason why I don't think we need Turk back. Lee CAN score 16ppg or more if required to do so. He buries open 3's, he can knock down the mid-range shot off the dribble, solid free throw shooter and he can finish at the basket. And he wouldn't do it on 40% shooting either.
Big A All Day
Head Coach
And1: 678

Post#13 » by Big A All Day » Fri Apr 3, 2009 3:09 pm

Gerhalt11 wrote:He's been the biggest beneficiary of Jameer's injury. All his numbers are up, and other than Alston, he's the reason we're doing as well as we are in Meercat's absence.

He's our fourth best draft pickup this decade, behind Dwight, Meer and Mike Miller. Tied for fourth with Diener, of course.

I agree
orl1724
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#14 » by orl1724 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 11:17 pm

Lee reminds me of what Devin Harris was like a few years back under Johnson and the Mavs. His stats were never great but the team was stacked and he concentrated on defense for the most part. Then he went to Jersey and now he is balling.
spinedoc
RealGM

Post#15 » by spinedoc » Sat Apr 4, 2009 1:31 pm

orl1724 wrote:Lee reminds me of what Devin Harris was like a few years back under Johnson and the Mavs. His stats were never great but the team was stacked and he concentrated on defense for the most part. Then he went to Jersey and now he is balling.

Yeah I suppose, but Lee doesn't have those same inherent pg skills. I see Lee turning into more of a Rip Hamilton type of player. Still a sg that can help facilitate the offense and keep the ball moving, but still have a killer shot.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#16 » by craig01 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 2:17 pm

Solid Snake wrote:Lee is the main reason why I don't think we need Turk back. Lee CAN score 16ppg or more if required to do so. He buries open 3's, he can knock down the mid-range shot off the dribble, solid free throw shooter and he can finish at the basket. And he wouldn't do it on 40% shooting either.

We might be overestimating Lee a bit.

I think he'll continue to improve, but Hedo does much more than Lee does for this Magic team.

Personally, I don't think Hedo is expendable with this current formula.

Should the Magic crash in the playoffs though, with a return to a more conventional lineup, makes Hedo expendable.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer
And1: 0

Post#17 » by Diehardmagicfan » Sat Apr 4, 2009 4:38 pm

I think that Lee has been very good this year. I do think that Lee makes Hedo expendable.

Return to Orlando Magic