ImageImageImageImage

OT: Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos Trade

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

OT: Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos Trade 

Post#1 » by glennathan » Fri Apr 3, 2009 12:41 pm

For those of you who have not seen the trade information on this here you go.

Denver Broncos trade: JAY CUTLER

Chicago Bears trade: KYLE ORTON, 2 1st Round Picks, and a 3rd Round pick

The link is here if you want to check it out.

http://www.realgmfootball.com/src_wiret ... es_cutler/

I believe the Bears gave up way to much for cutler. I can understand trading the 3rd round pick and kyle orton but also giving up your 2 first round picks as well??!! The broncos were a decent team to begin with and now if I recall correctly they will have 2 First Round Picks this year and 2 First Round Picks in 2010. Unbelieveable. Any thoughts?
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
MrOrlando
Starter
And1: 88

Re: OT: Chicago Bears and Denver Broncos Trade 

Post#2 » by MrOrlando » Fri Apr 3, 2009 1:28 pm

Yeeeah two first rounders would be a little steep if you ask me, especially for consecutive years. However since it's the Bears we are talking about here, just think if in 2007 they had an actual consistent, franchise quarterback instead of Rex Grossman having 4TDs 400 yards one week, and fumbling 3 times, intercepted 2 times the next.

Depends on who you're a bigger fan of, the draft or actual results.
CPBalla2003 n da 863
Assistant Coach
And1: 277

Post#3 » by CPBalla2003 n da 863 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 1:46 pm

Im A Bronco fan, and i hate to see Jay go, and i wanted him to stay, i don't know how Orton is going to fit in McDaniels system, but its so funny to me that McDaniels is already in the hot seat for letting a top five QB go....
@InthemindofCP on Twitter, Find Me
Thehardwoodnation.com
Balls In Our Court Podcast Link: http://inthemindofcp.podomatic.com
Orlando Magic
DHoward4Mvp
Starter
And1: 0

Post#4 » by DHoward4Mvp » Fri Apr 3, 2009 2:41 pm

I just dont get the big fuss about Jay freakin Cutler..... I mean yeah its an upgrade for the Bears, but i mean that team has a lot of holes.... Who the hell is Cutler going to be throwing to?? Devin Hester?? give me a break... Olsen might thrive this year though..
I say Denver made out like a bandit though... if they can actually draft and snag some decent talent they should be set up very nice.
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Post#5 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:33 pm

F*** the Bears
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#6 » by EasternMagic » Fri Apr 3, 2009 4:51 pm

I like this for the Bears... they finally got a QB watch out for them
LBPTarHeel27
RealGM
And1: 1,512

Post#7 » by LBPTarHeel27 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 6:47 pm

The fact that the Broncos got all of that and they were by no means in control of the situation is quite impressive.
RickB-Orlando
Assistant Coach
And1: 1,336

Post#8 » by RickB-Orlando » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:45 pm

CPBalla2003 n da 863 wrote:Im A Bronco fan, and i hate to see Jay go, and i wanted him to stay, i don't know how Orton is going to fit in McDaniels system, but its so funny to me that McDaniels is already in the hot seat for letting a top five QB go....

I think Cutler is a pretty decent QB, but top 5? He was a mediocre 16th in the league in QB rating last year. He's shown flashes of great play, but top 5?

Now, he's better than Kyle Orton - but 3 picks plus a player seems like way too much to me.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#9 » by SS_MagicMark » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:03 pm

I think the Bears got a 5th rounder out of that, too, FWIW. DEN was demanding the two 1sts from every potential suitor, but CHI's inclusion of the extra 3rd and Orton got the deal done. I think the Bears overpaid, too. We'll have to wait & see if Cutler can be a consistent Pro Bowler after he made it last year -- I mean, hell, even Jamaal Magloire was an All-Star once -- because that's what they paid for. Now they need to add some weapons on the edge. It's probably safe to say they'll be taking a WR in the 2nd round!
UCFJayBird
Forum Mod - Magic
Forum Mod - Magic
And1: 3,413

Post#10 » by UCFJayBird » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:32 pm

RickB-Orlando wrote:
CPBalla2003 n da 863 wrote:Im A Bronco fan, and i hate to see Jay go, and i wanted him to stay, i don't know how Orton is going to fit in McDaniels system, but its so funny to me that McDaniels is already in the hot seat for letting a top five QB go....

I think Cutler is a pretty decent QB, but top 5? He was a mediocre 16th in the league in QB rating last year. He's shown flashes of great play, but top 5?

Now, he's better than Kyle Orton - but 3 picks plus a player seems like way too much to me.

You gotta remember Cutler was playing on a team with no real running back. Teams knew he was going to throw a lot. And despite that he still put up huge impressive numbers. And when the Broncos held teams to under 21 points (i.e.- their defense showed up) they were 13-1, so obviously Cutler can put points on the board. He's probably got the best arm in the league, it's his decision making and his end of game play that is in question, but a lot of that is experience.

I like the trade for both sides. I'm a huge Broncos fan (and a fan of Jay's as well), so I'm happy to see they got a lot in return. And if I'm a Chicago fan i'd be exstatic that they finally have a QB that can throw over 4000 yards in a season (they've never had one). Sure they lack the WRs, but Jay doesn't need fantastic WRs to make the throws, he just needs a RB that can take some of the attention away from the pass and he'll thread the needle.
SS_MagicMark
Retired Mod
Retired Mod
And1: 33

Post#11 » by SS_MagicMark » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:52 pm

Well, he'll have a helluva RB in Chicago with Forte back there. The Bears also just signed Orlando Pace to protect his blind side.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#12 » by craig01 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 10:10 pm

I wonder how much of Cutler's success was due to being in Shanahan's system..

Personally, I'm not sure Cutler is a top 5 QB anywhere else.
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#13 » by glennathan » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:13 pm

craig01 wrote:I wonder how much of Cutler's success was due to being in Shanahan's system..

Personally, I'm not sure Cutler is a top 5 QB anywhere else.

good point craig.
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?

Return to Orlando Magic