ImageImageImageImage

BS: Magic will likely not have a draft pick at all in June

Moderators: Knightro, Howard Mass, UCFJayBird, Def Swami, ChosenSavior, SOUL, UCF

magicfan4life05
RealGM
And1: 198

BS: Magic will likely not have a draft pick at all in June 

Post#1 » by magicfan4life05 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 8:23 pm

http://blogs.orlandosentinel.com/sports ... -june.html

It doesn't look as if the Magic will not have a draft pick in June.

They dealt their first-round pick to the Memphis Grizzlies in the trade that delivered Rafer Alston.

They have a second-round pick, but it is contingent upon where they finish the season.

And with the fourth-best record in the league, they currently would have the No. 57 pick in the second round.

But when the Magic acquired Rashard Lewis in a sign-and-trade with the Seattle SuperSonics (now the Oklahoma City Thunder), they dealt the 2009 second-rounder.

That conditional pick has since been moved by the Thunder to the Phoenix Suns, and it is protected for Orlando from spots 31 through 55.

But if it falls to 56 through 60, the Suns would retain it.

If not, then Orlando retains all rights and all obligations are settled.

Unless the Magic lose the rest of their games, it doesn't appear they will keep it.

Sure, it's not a big deal. The whole idea when you are a contender is to NOT have a high draft pick in either round. You can probably find street free agents as skilled as late second-rounders.

GM Otis Smith said, however, that the Magic would investigate the possibility of acquiring a pick, be it late in the first or somewhere in the second.

NOOO my fav part of the offseason is draft night and seeing who the magic will draft.... :cry:

hopefully they acquire a later pick like mentioned...but where have we heard that before?!?! :evil:

Not that big of a deal...just something I always look forward too...but w/e..

btw lol at BS for the first sentence which is the opposite of what he meant...
Dwight Howard on his FT struggles:

"I just think everybody needs to stop talking about it," Howard said. "There's more to life than free throws."
Nemesis21
RealGM
And1: 6,608

Re: BS: Magic will likely not have a draft pick at all in June 

Post#2 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:51 pm

What? I thought we could buy a second rd pick? Otis should at least do that, don't mortgage the team for a 1st rd pick.
EasternMagic
RealGM
And1: 1,154

Post#3 » by EasternMagic » Fri Apr 3, 2009 9:52 pm

It really isn't a big deal especially with this years draft class.. and the speculation that we would get Tyler Hansborough with our first that we traded... I'm glad we didn't, he wont last in the NBA. Although I will admit I love the whole researching rookies process in the weeks before the draft and the anticipation to see who we pick.... o well
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#4 » by Nemesis21 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 10:01 pm

EasternMagic wrote:It really isn't a big deal especially with this years draft class.. and the speculation that we would get Tyler Hansborough with our first that we traded... I'm glad we didn't, he wont last in the NBA. Although I will admit I love the whole researching rookies process in the weeks before the draft and the anticipation to see who we pick.... o well

Your going to be one of the people all over Physco T's nuts in a few yrs. He may start on a team like Thunder, but for the most part he'll be a good career back up pf. Avging any where from 8-14 ppg and 6-10 rpg. He has a good jump shot and is a career 79 % FT shooter. He also brings toughness, energy and hustle.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod
And1: 483

Post#5 » by craig01 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 10:04 pm

There goes my draft party......lol
Basketball is driven by three principles:

1) Movement 2) Application of fundamentals 3) Predictability
cwas2882
General Manager
And1: 5,802

Post#6 » by cwas2882 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 10:05 pm

"It doesn't look as if the Magic will not have a draft pick in June."

Double negative. We WILL have a draft pick
orl1724
Sixth Man
And1: 0

Post#7 » by orl1724 » Fri Apr 3, 2009 11:11 pm

Magic suck at drafting what are the odds we pick another Courtney Lee with a late pick.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#8 » by craig01 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:13 am

This is the year NOT to have a pick.

Crummy draft.

MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#9 » by MMFla » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:36 am

I agree with craig this draft outside of maybe the lottery looks pretty weak..but a pretty good point guard class.

Hansbrough reminds me of Mark Madson, a guy who is in the league for years will give you tough play and hustle, not a superstar but an outside the stat sheet guy.
ADRajX
RealGM
And1: 97

Post#10 » by ADRajX » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:45 am

Really?

dang, I was hoping they'd draft Jermaine Taylor from UCF (if you guys like another Courtney Lee type player :])... he used to go to my middle and high school
“Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don't resist them; that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like.” - Laozi
UCFknight84
Rookie

Post#11 » by UCFknight84 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:52 am

MMFla wrote:I agree with craig this draft outside of maybe the lottery looks pretty weak..but a pretty good point guard class.

Hansbrough reminds me of Mark Madson, a guy who is in the league for years will give you tough play and hustle, not a superstar but an outside the stat sheet guy.

also agree with craig, im interested in hansboroughs progression i think hes going to be a paul milllsap/carl landry type player
"We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give"
Teddy Roosevelt
Magicalltheway
Analyst
And1: 134

Post#12 » by Magicalltheway » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:56 am

cwas2882 wrote:"It doesn't look as if the Magic will not have a draft pick in June."

Double negative. We WILL have a draft pick

And they call themselves writers. My 7yr old know not to do that.
G-Heel
Head Coach
And1: 365

Post#13 » by G-Heel » Sat Apr 4, 2009 7:06 am

This draft sucks, we won't be missing anything.
Fire Otis!
Idunkonyou2
Lead Assistant
And1: 68

Post#14 » by Idunkonyou2 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 9:56 am

They don't need a pick this year. I keep reading that Fran's contract is up and he will be joining the team for the start of the 2009-2010 season. Not to mention I look for Otis to try and dump a few contracts so that they will have the money to resign Hedo and Gortat (Battie and Johnson will almost surely be dealt to save 9 million in cap space). That would also allow them to use the MLE. They may even use the VE on a guy like Hill to fill out the roster.

2009-2010 Magic:

PG Nelson, Alston, Wilks
SG Lee, Pietrus, Redick
SF Hedo, Hill, Richardson
PF Lewis, MLE player
C Howard, Gortat, Fran
aleZ
General Manager
And1: 4

Post#15 » by aleZ » Sat Apr 4, 2009 12:20 pm

craig01 wrote:There goes my draft party......lol

:lol: hilarious how BS tries to find negatives in a 50+ wins season, optimism doesn't bring traffic after all.
craig01
Forum Mod
Forum Mod

Post#16 » by craig01 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 2:18 pm

Yeah, so true.

glennathan
Lead Assistant
And1: 147

Post#17 » by glennathan » Sat Apr 4, 2009 3:33 pm

Idunkonyou2 wrote:They don't need a pick this year. I keep reading that Fran's contract is up and he will be joining the team for the start of the 2009-2010 season. Not to mention I look for Otis to try and dump a few contracts so that they will have the money to resign Hedo and Gortat (Battie and Johnson will almost surely be dealt to save 9 million in cap space). That would also allow them to use the MLE. They may even use the VE on a guy like Hill to fill out the roster.

2009-2010 Magic:

PG Nelson, Alston, Wilks
SG Lee, Pietrus, Redick
PF Lewis, MLE player
C Howard, Gortat, Fran

I would almost rather not see Fran here. If you have the chance to get rid of his rights to a sorry team (wolves, grizzlies, maybe Warriors) for something we maybe able to use then do it. Let him have the knowledge of knowing he could have played for a contender but will not. I doube Battie gets traded even though it is a nice expriring and I say keep AJ and part with Wilks. Wilks has not played with this team outside of 2 pre-season games. AJ knows the system and Wilks would have to learn it all over again. I am really wanting to part with Pietrus if possible but that is just me and is a different subject for a different time.

Back on topic though I would not mind the Magic buying a 2nd round pick or so to see what cheap talent they could find in a PF. maybe a gem in the rough? (milsap style)
Reporter - How do you feel about your first triple double?

Bo Outlaw - What is that some kind of cheeseburger?
Diehardmagicfan
Bench Warmer

Post#18 » by Diehardmagicfan » Sat Apr 4, 2009 4:18 pm

I would like an early 2nd round pick if anything. The contract is not guaranteed if they are not very good.
MMFla
Pro Prospect
And1: 90

Post#19 » by MMFla » Sat Apr 4, 2009 4:40 pm

I would not mind taking a look at Suton from Michigan State he will play today against Thabeet. He may go undrafted, he can hit the jumper has 3 point range and can rebound. He would be a free look at summer league.
Nemesis21
RealGM

Post#20 » by Nemesis21 » Sat Apr 4, 2009 8:06 pm

Idunkonyou2 wrote:They don't need a pick this year. I keep reading that Fran's contract is up and he will be joining the team for the start of the 2009-2010 season. Not to mention I look for Otis to try and dump a few contracts so that they will have the money to resign Hedo and Gortat (Battie and Johnson will almost surely be dealt to save 9 million in cap space). That would also allow them to use the MLE. They may even use the VE on a guy like Hill to fill out the roster.

2009-2010 Magic:

PG Nelson, Alston, Wilks
SG Lee, Pietrus, Redick
PF Lewis, MLE player
C Howard, Gortat, Fran

why not resign Battie with the VE?

Return to Orlando Magic